Migrating Apps and Files from One Mac to Another

I just tried to do this migration of data. On the Mac I was sending the stuff to a ball was spinning for over two hours saying "looking for another source." Is this right or wrong or good or bad? I don't know. Anyone out there who's done this migration thing? How long does it take? 

Thanks, Edo

Hi Ed. It's generally much better to reinstall apps from scratch rather than copy them from one computer to another and copy files by means of a hard drive. I presume you have internet again so you should be able to reinstall any Apple and Adobe apps that way. I don't know what else you have to install. Always happy to try to help. :)

I think he wants to copy his files over too, I presume.  Like his photographs.

Lordy, Ed, it seems I did that once but it was so long ago my brain grew cobwebs. I probably googled how. Can’t even remember if it was a  successful operation. There are those memory sticks you can buy, I don’t know whether they can hold the info you need to copy. The pictures could be transferred that way, but if there are a lot, it could be tedious. You might have to do them in batches.

Ask google. 

Betty

edited to add: I looked at the migration instructions and it did say that it could take a few hours. So your spinning ball is ok, but the looking for another source bit, I don’t know.

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I just tried to do this migration of data. On the Mac I was sending the stuff to a ball was spinning for over two hours saying "looking for another source." Is this right or wrong or good or bad? I don't know. Anyone out there who's done this migration thing? How long does it take? 

Thanks, Edo

Migration assistant copies everything other than the OS from the source to the new destination Mac, unless at the start you tell it to make exclusions. "looking for another source." will normally appear after the source Mac is seen, assuming there may be multiple volumes to migrate from. As long as the volume you want to migrate from shows, select it and continue. 

Are you migrating from an older to a new Mac, or from a time machine backup or clone to a newer Mac? If migrating from one Mac to another how are you connecting the two Mac's?

If migrating from an older Mac that has issues with its hard drive that can cause problems. Other issues that can become apparent after migrating is due to licensing. MS Office will request activation, and if migrating from a Mac with a much older OS to a Mac with Mojave installed some applications might not be compatible unless later updated.

Hoping all goes well.

Thanks, people

My brain is 87% cobwebs, Betty. And before having any useful, logical thoughts, I panic. 

I pulled the plug on the Mac to Mac transfer last night, although it was probably working. I have it set up and running with Time Machine restore now and I'll let that run. I had my two Mac connected with a dedicated Thunderbolt cable, Steve. They are both running the latest OS. 

Poco a poco.

Tio Edo

I will have to do that this year so I am very interested in how it turns out for you. My first step will be to clean out all the mess I have on the old Mac. At least I keep my photos on an external hard drive so that will help. I'm sure a lot of my old documents are no longer needed.

Paulette

Thanks, John

I believe I have things set up like that . . . but it's been running for almost 7 hours now. I'll let it go overnight but I have to move things out of the way then to fix breakfast. Apple couldn't put a % counter on this migration thing like they have on most uploads? Ridiculous. 

Edo

Hi Edo

I have migrated between Mac computers,  but have Betty's problem with cobwebs.

There is lots of information here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8007540

Initiate migration assistant on both machines so they can see each other. Turn on sharing. Be patient, takes a long time for migration etc.

Bill

28 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Hi Edo

I have migrated between Mac computers,  but have Betty's problem with cobwebs.

There is lots of information here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8007540

Initiate migration assistant on both machines so they can see each other. Turn on sharing. Be patient, takes a long time for migration etc.

Bill

I must say I can't see much evidence of cobwebs in your head Bill. You appear to have a very keen mind.

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I think he wants to copy his files over too, I presume.  Like his photographs.

Lordy, Ed, it seems I did that once but it was so long ago my brain grew cobwebs. I probably googled how. Can’t even remember if it was a  successful operation. There are those memory sticks you can buy, I don’t know whether they can hold the info you need to copy. The pictures could be transferred that way, but if there are a lot, it could be tedious. You might have to do them in batches.

Ask google. 

Betty

edited to add: I looked at the migration instructions and it did say that it could take a few hours. So your spinning ball is ok, but the looking for another source bit, I don’t know.

You are along the right lines Betty. It is much easier to copy files (images etc) through an external medium just using drag and drop than directly between two computers using Apple's migration tool . However, I would not use memory sticks as they are slow and very expensive as well in comparison to using an external hard drive. Thunderbolt hard drives are best on Macs for speed but USB3 drives are a lot cheaper and pretty fast. The really important thing is to  always back up images and other files on to external drives whether using backup software such as Time Machine or simple drag and drop.

5 hours ago, MDM said:

I must say I can't see much evidence of cobwebs in your head Bill. You appear to have a very keen mind.

You are along the right lines Betty. It is much easier to copy files (images etc) through an external medium just using drag and drop than directly between two computers using Apple's migration tool . However, I would not use memory sticks as they are slow and very expensive as well in comparison to using an external hard drive. Thunderbolt hard drives are best on Macs for speed but USB3 drives are a lot cheaper and pretty fast. The really important thing is to  always back up images and other files on to external drives whether using backup software such as Time Machine or simple drag and drop.

Better idea than mine. It’s those cobwebs, ya’ know. :D

I'm keying this on my old Pro 13" After failing (mostly) with migration via cable from another Mac and with restoring with Time Machine, I've managed to upload most of my most needed apps step-by-step manually as Michael suggested.

MDM for President of the Irish part of Spain!

Edo

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm keying this on my old Pro 13" After failing (mostly) with migration via cable from another Mac and with restoring with Time Machine, I've managed to upload most of my most needed apps step-by-step manually as Michael suggested.

MDM for President of the Irish part of Spain!

Edo

Fantastic Ed but I think the king of Spain might have a problem with that. If I was in a position of power in Spain I would attempt to get rid of as much as possible of the silly bureaucracy that still pervades some aspects of Spanish society which might make me very popular :D.

Did you know that there was (maybe still is) an ancient Spanish law that gives all Irish citizens an automatic a right to become Spanish citizens?  I read about this somewhere but can't find it now. 

I believe the Spanish think a lot of you folks in Ireland are of Spanish descent because of the defeat of the Spanish Armada off the coast of Ireland. Don't know where I got this idea but maybe from when I was living in Spain?

Paulette

9 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I believe the Spanish think a lot of you folks in Ireland are of Spanish descent because of the defeat of the Spanish Armada off the coast of Ireland. Don't know where I got this idea but maybe from when I was living in Spain?

Paulette

Yes I think that is definitely the case. There are also very ancient Irish legends that refer to a group of people called the Milesians who arrived in pre-historic times and legend has it that they came from Spain and settled in the far south of Ireland. 

Archived