Recommended Posts

I've seen many references to downsizing to increase visible sharpness in a questionable image.  I've never done this, but the time has come to incorporate it into my workflow--only when necessary, of course.  I'm currently tossing away some images that I think can be saved. 

 

There are countless 'methods' described on the web for doing this, some quite complicated.

 

Would appreciate a description of your preferred technique for downsizing.   Is it simply opening in PS and reducing the pixel dimensions of the image, or is there more to it than that? 

 

Shooting with a Canon 5D mark 4 most of the time, which yields 6720 X 4480.

 

Thanks,

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If in Photoshop, make sure you select 'Bicubic Sharper' as the preferred option when downsizing

 

Alex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In LR you just set the resize in the export dialogue. I have presets for it.

I have one which reduces by about 20% linear (4500 from a 5456 original) and one at just over the minimum, 3250. As you say, only when essential. If you weren't sure what will pass QC you wouldn't be asking the question.

I noticed recently that I was tending to downsize everything to 4500, so I've cut back on it. It's not the worst of habits, I suppose.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Alex Ramsay said:

If in Photoshop, make sure you select 'Bicubic Sharper' as the preferred option when downsizing

 

Alex

Thanks for the tip, Alex.  I wouldn't have known to do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

In LR you just set the resize in the export dialogue. I have presets for it.

I have one which reduces by about 20% linear (4500 from a 5456 original) and one at just over the minimum, 3250. As you say, only when essential. If you weren't sure what will pass QC you wouldn't be asking the question.

Thanks, SC.  I think I'm going to use PS, at least for now, so I can review what I'm doing before export. 

With more experience, I may not feel it necessary.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you will notice any difference between downsizing in Photoshop or exporting to the same pixel dimensions in Lightroom. Out of habit I tend to do it in Photoshop and leave the resample method to automatic which for downsizing will be Bicubic Sharper. Lightroom does it all behind the scenes. I use Lightroom export when I want to downsize and control the metatdata that accompanies the file, something that can't be done easily in Photoshop as far as I know.

 

Of course if you are having to downsize a lot to sharpen images, then you need to consider your technique and/or lenses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MDM said:

I don't think you will notice any difference between downsizing in Photoshop or exporting to the same pixel dimensions in Lightroom. Out of habit I tend to do it in Photoshop and leave the resample method to automatic which for downsizing will be Bicubic Sharper. Lightroom does it all behind the scenes. I use Lightroom export when I want to downsize and control the metatdata that accompanies the file, something that can't be done easily in Photoshop as far as I know.

 

Of course if you are having to downsize a lot to sharpen images, then you need to consider your technique and/or lenses. 

 

Thanks, MDM.

Though they may achieve the same results, I find it easier to examine the results while still in PS, and in saving back to LR. 

I'm working with a new camera, lens, and also shooting more motion than I have in the past, so I'm in kind of a complex experimental mode, and want to be able to fiddle with, and look carefully at, whatever I do in LR/PS. 

 

Michael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My downsizing is for high ISO noise, or less than idea lens aperture. Not for shaky hand holding.

 

I Photoshop downsize my Sony RX100 20 megapixel files to 14 megapixels when ISO 125 (the native ISO) and 12 megapixels when ISO 400.

 

I may also do the 12 megapixel downsizing on the Sony when shooting at 125 ISO at less than optimum lens aperture.

 

I do not try to downsize to sharpen hand held motion blur on any of my cameras. I discard the image instead. It is a kind of punishment so I will up my quality game.

 

On a 50 megapixel Canon 5Ds I will downsize to 12 megapixel for ISO 6400. No downsizing for ISO 400. Downsize to 35 megapixel for ISO 800. Downsize to 35 megapixel when shooting at F2-F4.

 

For all of the above I end up with the same sharp, noise free images, when viewed at 100%. They just cannot be enlarged beyond the reduced megapixel limit at 300 DPI.
 

Sony DX100 ideal conditions, ISO 125, best aperture, 20 megapixel downsized to 14 megapixel. Straight Royalty Free because people or property not featured.
M7RF98.jpg

 

Sony DX100 bad conditions ISO 400, not best aperture, major correction for colour cast, 20 downsized to 12 megapixel. Royalty Free but editorial only, because of famous cattle property.
 

R0PCMA.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Bill,

 

On downsizing for sharpness it is for aperture and high ISO.  If the image is not sharp downsizing is not going

the make it sharp.  

 

You need to drink " Sharpenal "while processing "unsharp" images and always write your IPTC info before drinking

the Sharpenal.......

 

Chuck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

 

You need to drink " Sharpenal "

Is that 1+4, or 1+50 for extra acutance;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

240 or 300 dpi for downsized image?  I've always exported from LR at 300dpi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MilesbeforeIsleep said:

240 or 300 dpi for downsized image?  I've always exported from LR at 300dpi. 

 

It's ppi not dpi and it's irrelevant except when you are printing. It's only  the pixel count that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not processing images or writing IPTC info now, but have a

really nice martini glass full of " Sharpenal" in my hand.....

Happy Friday.

 

P.S.  every thing looks really sharp right now......

 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
forgot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S.  I would suggest that vodka is sharper than Irish Whiskey.

Might be my decade in the former S.U. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't generally downsize, but I am likely to be using high ISO in a forthcoming event and want to create a LR preset using the Alamy Lightroom Bridge plugin to reduce marginally. Just to make sure I have got the menus right, I am presuming that I should reduce both the minimum and maximum file sizes in the upload menu from its default settings, ie change minimum from 25 to 17. Not sure what maximum I should choose to get the desired effect. My images are typically 36-45Mb, so presume I would need to set maximum to less than this. Here is the menu with its default settings.

 

https://goo.gl/rsHwHb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sally said:

I don't generally downsize, but I am likely to be using high ISO in a forthcoming event and want to create a LR preset using the Alamy Lightroom Bridge plugin to reduce marginally. Just to make sure I have got the menus right, I am presuming that I should reduce both the minimum and maximum file sizes in the upload menu from its default settings, ie change minimum from 25 to 17. Not sure what maximum I should choose to get the desired effect. My images are typically 36-45Mb, so presume I would need to set maximum to less than this. Here is the menu with its default settings.

 

https://goo.gl/rsHwHb

I use LR5 so I don't have this on the dialogue. Just below "file settings" I have "image sizing" and I just set long side to 3250px, which is just over the minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

I use LR5 so I don't have this on the dialogue. Just below "file settings" I have "image sizing" and I just set long side to 3250px, which is just over the minimum.

Its a menu in the Alamy Lightroom Bridge plugin, not LR's own menus.  I use the plugin to upload directly to Alamy.

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally downsize using the option to resize during export in LR. For changing size later on a JPG file I use the excellent Faststone Image viewer (free) software, it is also a great general viewing tool and can be use for some simple editing like dust spot removal.

 

While on the subject of downsizing, is there a "sweet spot" resolution for Alamy? Is it worthwhile uploading files a lot larger than the minimum size? My "in use" cameras produce files of 24MP, 30MP, 42MP, 51MP and 80MP, the larger files may be a bit of an overkill?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rudix said:

I normally downsize using the option to resize during export in LR. For changing size later on a JPG file I use the excellent Faststone Image viewer (free) software, it is also a great general viewing tool and can be use for some simple editing like dust spot removal.

 

While on the subject of downsizing, is there a "sweet spot" resolution for Alamy? Is it worthwhile uploading files a lot larger than the minimum size? My "in use" cameras produce files of 24MP, 30MP, 42MP, 51MP and 80MP, the larger files may be a bit of an overkill?

 

Does downsizing not limit the usability of the files for customers?  It seems one would want to upload the largest possible file size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MilesbeforeIsleep said:

Does downsizing not limit the usability of the files for customers?  It seems one would want to upload the largest possible file size.

That is what I was thinking but not sure, VERY new here (1 week!)
I was playing with a RAW file the other day of 168MP, almost 1GB in size, poor computer..... I think I saw somewhere that there was a 100MP limit? Maybe it was another agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MilesbeforeIsleep said:

Does downsizing not limit the usability of the files for customers?  It seems one would want to upload the largest possible file size.

I've very, very rarely had searches with file size as a parameter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Rudix said:

That is what I was thinking but not sure, VERY new here (1 week!)
I was playing with a RAW file the other day of 168MP, almost 1GB in size, poor computer..... I think I saw somewhere that there was a 100MP limit? Maybe it was another agent.

Yes, there would appear to be a 100 limit as suggested by the default settings in Alamy Lightroom bridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot in CANON raw and do my initial edits in their editing software, Digital Photo Professional.  If I am going to downsize, I select resize when I convert to .jpg.

Edited by CJH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now