I've been curious about Capture One Pro and decided to try the demo. While importing my Lightroom catalogue, it used up all available memory (RAM) so that my computer became unresponsive and I had to turn it off. After deleting the partly imported Lightroom catalogue and the images in it from the Capture One Pro catalogue, I tried to empty the trash in Capture One Pro to get rid of the previews; this caused Capture One Pro to become unresponsive and I had to use 'Force Quit' to close it. I tried several times, each time with the same result. Finally, I ended up deleting the whole thing from my hard drive.

Have I for some reason been unlucky, or have other Capture One Pro users had similar experiences?

(Computer: MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM; macOS 10.14.)

I have no experience of Capture One Pro but I see you are using MacOs 10.14 which is very new and is probably not the best way to test out and assess software. An alternative way to do this would be to install an older version of MacOS on a fast external drive (Thunderbolt or SSD) and use that for testing. Capture One seems very expensive for what it is - I don't think I will be going that route in the near future myself. 

• Upvote 1

I tried C1P some time ago and did not like the way it kept building folders on it's own which were not required. Removed it from system.

Much prefer LR.

Allan

• Upvote 1

I have used Capture 1 since version 6 and haven't seen a crash in years. I find it to be absolutely the best raw processing software for studio images. That being said, when I'm doing the sort of work that many of you do - places or events for example - it becomes less appealing. Do you really need this sort of power?

• Upvote 1

I contacted their support and made another attempt. This time it went reasonably well; most of my Lightroom catalogue made the transfer. But my impression so far is that it's no replacement for Lightroom; searching is incredibly slow, and it's unable to handle large amounts of keywords. Though it does have editing features that Lightroom doesn't. I have yet to try out its tethering capabilities properly.

I use Capture 1 with tethered medium format digital back for all my studio work, it’s superlative piece of software for processing the raw files. I would, however, never use it for my location and news type shoots - it requires a more time-consuming and considered approach to processing in my view

• Upvote 2

I have used C1Pro since about 2003 (V1?) and would not swap. Yes, from time to time I have had glitches but not so much in recent years. I front end it with PhotoMechanic for keyword, rating, selection etc then do ALL my processing in C1P, I have not touched PS for at least two years for photo processing, usually for adding text or the like, not for any post production reason. When my old PS stops working I wilkl switch to Gimp or why.

For news I do it all in camera and then caption/keyword and submit using PhotoMechanic.

• Upvote 1