Thomas Kyhn

Capture One Pro – (bad) impressions?

9 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Maybe I have misunderstood but I think if you end your subscription you only lose the Develop module. So you can continue using the Library module with the catalog, keywords, etc. You have to do your developing elsewhere but can still import those images into the Library. No?

Thanks, but that wouldn't work for me, not being able to rework your existing images would make it useless. 

23 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks, but that wouldn't work for me, not being able to rework your existing images would make it useless. 

Nor me but it should dispel the fear/misconception that all the cataloging would be effectively useless. Recall a lot of people think the images are held in the catalog as well. The killer for me would be losing Photoshop. I could live without Lightroom if I had to and use ACR or even something else but life without Photoshop ................

1 hour ago, Harry Harrison said:

I haven't seen that model suggested before, not that different from a one-off payment I suppose given that upgrades didn't used to go on for that long. You also cite the need to carry on using the version that you're on and for me that is far and away the most important factor but many discussions around the subscription model centre on the cost which for me is missing the point. I wonder whether Lightroom Classic is in decline, especially given the phone and social media friendly Lightroom CC (or whatever they call it) but anyone who has devoted a great deal of time to creating catalogues, collections, captions, keywords etc. just has to continue paying the subscription or see all their work set in Aspic.

The loss of editing functionality if I was to stop paying the subscription is what bothers me the most. It is the feeling of being locked into one particular system on a long term basis.

About 7 years ago I bought Aperture outright for $89. That is all I have paid in about 7 years and it has been a really reliable, decent editor. The equivalent cost for 7 years for the Adobe package is about $1176, and should I decide to leave the subscription because I have decided there is another work system I want to set up, I can longer edit the images. I would like to think i still have a workable Lightoroom and Photoshop, even if I changed to a different system down the track.

I also don't have a regular income at present, so I really do have to think about cost as well, but yes $14 a month is not a lot to pay when considering you get the ongoing updates to the software and the Lightoom/Photoshop combo. But for me, for now, I think I need to postpone the decision until I've investigated all options.

I wouldn't pay for Capture One Pro which is particularly expensive, and I would be reluctant to dedicate myself totally to this system after the drawbacks raised in this thread. It also has high-end functionality related to studio photography that I don't need. However, it's dedicated software for Sony is really good so far, especially re: the rendering of the Raw file. The Express version will not serve me well in the long term as it does not have local adjustments. There is 25% off the dedicated non-Express Sony version though, cheaper than Capture One Pro, and this may be an excellent option for editing images from my Sony RX100. This may enable me to continue on at present, still using Aperture for my Nikon files, until I'm clearer about what I want to do.

I think, too, different software fits for different people. One editor will be like a comfy pair of shoes to one person, but will be uncomfortable to someone else. Frustratingly I find On1 felt comfy, but doesn't render Raw files as well and seems unable to provide the correction profiles it should for the RX100. I'm still to experiment with it further with Nikon files while I have the trial version, but it looks to be no good for the Sony at this point.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Those on a Mac who liked Aperture may want to keep an eye on RawPower by Gentlemen coders. It's a work in progress, but it uses Apple's Raw conversion engine and the lead guy was on Apple's Aperture software develeopent team. It's fast, silky smooth, but is still missing a few key features. Unfortunately recent updates seem to have focused on improving links into Apple Photos library, which is a shame (unless you like Apple photos app).

Mark

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Those on a Mac who liked Aperture may want to keep an eye on RawPower by Gentlemen coders. It's a work in progress, but it uses Apple's Raw conversion engine and the lead guy was on Apple's Aperture software develeopent team. It's fast, silky smooth, but is still missing a few key features. Unfortunately recent updates seem to have focused on improving links into Apple Photos library, which is a shame (unless you like Apple photos app).

Thanks Mark. That interests me very much. Definitely worth watching its development, and cheap at $39. I think I might give it a go given I don't feel I have much to lose. I can see its layout/interface is very similar to Aperture and I think I would feel right at home in it. I'm not a fan of the Apple Photos App, but looks like you can use it independently. They made Aperture and iPhoto in a way that they could integrate, so I guess they are doing the same thing again.

If I want more Photoshop-type options I will consider Affinity Photo I think. The two together would be $120 (Australian dollars). Will probably decide on this in a couple of weeks when I'm less busy.

Had a bit of time to do more with On1 today, this time with Nikon files. I could not correct CA for my Tokina 11-16mm lens (second version for Nikon), a lens I use a lot for landscapes. Even for one of my lenses that it does have a profile for, the Sigma 17-50, it still came out with CA from the Raw file, but I was able to remove it manually. I really wanted to like this software but I don't think it's going to be for me. If they can improve their Raw conversion and camera and lens profiles it would be really good.

Just an edit to the above in case anyone else is considering it - RawPower does not yet have cloning and gradient tools, something I would want in a Raw editor. Apparently those things are coming though, along with panoramas and HDR. This fact, along with finding my current Mac being just slightly to old to support it, means I'll be waiting a bit for this app.

Edited by Sally R

On 08/09/2020 at 17:23, John Mitchell said:

You must have been using it to correct chromatic aberration. I wouldn't recommend the program for that, especially if a lot of adjustment is needed. Fortunately, most RAW conversion software now has automatic CR correction.

Correct.

Allan

4 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

I get the feeling looking at the website it might be a one man band running this one. The blog is all in the first person "In the past, I have released large feature updates about once a year, somewhat in line with Apple’s OS updates. This year, I fell far behind that schedule. I had a lot of improvements (like the UI changes) done almost a year ago, but there were too many essential features unfinished."

No doubt the guy is a a genius and the whole project very interesting as we see the ongoing integration of iOS and MacOS (apparently iOS apps will soon work on Macs). However, I wonder if it is feasible for it to become a usable professional tool, especially if it is just one guy running the show. At the moment it looks very much like beta software (he is asking users to provide bug reports) so more a fun thing to try out than something to rely on for actual work. Certainly not something I would spend money on. 

Edited by MDM

14 hours ago, MDM said:

??? No comprendo. I must be having one of my stupid nights. The ole Covid-19 is acting up again and the brain is mush. 

sorry. I quoted you in the post and after I'd replied I realised I was saying something to a 2 year old post, so not only was it pointless but what I'd said didn't really apply (about the Mac OS version). I couldn't see a way to delete the post entirely so I just rubbed it out and wrote my edit reason.

15 hours ago, MDM said:

bought Final Cut Pro X by Apple which cost £299

I hate to mention it to you now but it might help someone else.

The free version of Lightworks is fully functional except for a render limit of 720p. If you ever need to render in HD, you can simply subscribe for a month and then cancel, but 720p is quite adequate for a big telly.

46 minutes ago, Cal said:

sorry. I quoted you in the post and after I'd replied I realised I was saying something to a 2 year old post, so not only was it pointless but what I'd said didn't really apply (about the Mac OS version). I couldn't see a way to delete the post entirely so I just rubbed it out and wrote my edit reason.

No worries.

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I hate to mention it to you now but it might help someone else.

The free version of Lightworks is fully functional except for a render limit of 720p. If you ever need to render in HD, you can simply subscribe for a month and then cancel, but 720p is quite adequate for a big telly.

I am happy with Final Cut Pro myself but as you say others might be interested in your post. I am using 4k ProResRaw (my existing camera just happened to be upgradeable to do this) so the only other option for Mac would be the full Adobe which is way too expensive. Word has it that there is a huge revolution afoot in the world of video as UHD HDR TVs become commonplace so I sort of jumped on the wave without knowing a lot about it in the first place but I am learning fast and enjoying the trip immensely. It is overkill at the moment but give it a few years and HD TVs will be a thing of the past. We divert. 

I have always suspected that the first computer, first system, and first programs one uses will, absent some clear problems, feel like the most intuitive and the best.  I've used Windows, Mac, Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, and Solaris.  The only one that was absolutely stupid for my purposes was Solaris on a desktop, which was like flying a helicopter to get groceries five blocks away.  If programs work for someone, they're the right program for that person.

• Upvote 1