Scanned negs

You might like to contact Contributor Services and ask if you can have access to the archival route. If these are old negatives, you may struggle to satisfy normal QC. But the archival & reportage sections are not for just old stuff of dubious quality!

jpeg level 10 should be enough, jpeg level 12 probably overkill and slow things down

When we both started in 2006 we could send in TIFFs on DVDs, but not now.

6 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Yes. 6MP files upsized to 48MB. We wouldn't dream of trying that with QC now. I think the initial submission was 20 as well. Or was it 12?

My initial submission in June 2007 consisted of 10 images. Lady Luck intervened and one of them licensed within a few weeks. Doubt if that would happen now.

I've scanned a number of old 35mm negs and submitted them as JPEGs via the archival route.  I have more that I'd like to do, but my Nikon scanner is on the fritz again. It cost over $500 to fix last time, so it will remain a paperweight for the foreseeable future.

Remarkably, I can remember having only one "soft and lacking" failure of an uprezzed image. They continue to license as well.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I can remember having only one "soft and lacking" failure of an uprezzed image.

I really hit a wall with failures in 2009, when 6MP was by then a low MP count and my images were being seen against the new crop of 12-14MP sensors (I think Canon had even brought out a 21MP by that point). We were due to leave in August 2009 on our 12 month round-the-world trip. I applied for, and got, funding from the Leader of the Opposition for the D300 and have not had a failure since. These repeated failures were pre sin-bin days luckily.

Jada,

I have a small number of images, scanned on a 2710 DPI scanner from 35mm chromes on Alamy.

Back then they had to be interpolated up to Alamy's min size.  I then graduated to a 4000 DPI that

did not require any upsizing.  I spent days and on my most licensed image, over a month working on

the scan.  None of my scans failed QC, but I would never go back to sitting at the computer finishing

scans again.  I now use NIKON D800's and my processing is much easier.

As many on the Forum have heard me say, on film, I remove chromes from the mount, hit with air,

then wipe with PEC-12 and air again.  I do not use any automatic spotting, I do it myself.

Good luck,

Chuck 

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

My initial submission in June 2007 consisted of 10 images. Lady Luck intervened and one of them licensed within a few weeks. Doubt if that would happen now.

I've scanned a number of old 35mm negs and submitted them as JPEGs via the archival route.  I have more that I'd like to do, but my Nikon scanner is on the fritz again. It cost over $500 to fix last time, so it will remain a paperweight for the foreseeable future.

Remarkably, I can remember having only one "soft and lacking" failure of an uprezzed image. They continue to license as well.

I have a sale this month of an image showing on my front page, still. Quick turnaround. 

Archived