Hi,

I'm new to Alamy, sorry if this is a common question. I've not had any views for my photos yet. Is this because it's early days? I've tagged my photos with everything I can think of that is relevant to the photos, but am wondering if I'm not tagging enough or if my titles aren't very good. Or maybe my photos are the problem. 

I know the amount of photos I've submitted aren't very many yet, does this make a difference to whether you get views?

Just trying to work out how to get noticed, any tips very appreciated. 

Thanks x

Hi Liz,

Welcome! Nice pictures.

It really is a numbers game at Alamy. You will probably need hundreds of pictures up before you make your first sale, as compared to microstock. But the prices Alamy gets are generally a lot lot better than microstock.

Don't worry about views so much. You're more interested in zooms by Alamy's larger clients - you can find this on Alamy measures at the bottom of your dashboard. Note that zooms by clients often don't translate into sales, it just helps your ranking. And lots of pictures sell without being 'zoomed'.

I think I made my first sale after 6 months. Note that sales often take 3 months to be reported. My sales have been going up quite well now I have almost 2000 pictures.

Good luck.

Steve

40 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

I noticed none of your images are tagged with the place names like the beach and cliff top, what beach is it? What are the cliffs called?  

9 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hi Liz,

Welcome! Nice pictures.

It really is a numbers game at Alamy. You will probably need hundreds of pictures up before you make your first sale, as compared to microstock. But the prices Alamy gets are generally a lot lot better than microstock.

Don't worry about views so much. You're more interested in zooms by Alamy's larger clients - you can find this on Alamy measures at the bottom of your dashboard. Note that zooms by clients often don't translate into sales, it just helps your ranking. And lots of pictures sell without being 'zoomed'.

I think I made my first sale after 6 months. Note that sales often take 3 months to be reported. My sales have been going up quite well now I have almost 2000 pictures.

Good luck.

Steve

+1 to the comments here - you have some very good images, which I don't doubt will do very well here, but you do need to be aware of the points raised - tagging and captions are very important - and you need a lot more photos!

Good luck, I'm sure that with a few hundred photos uploaded, you'll soon be back posting about your first sale here. :)

43 minutes ago, Liz Smith said:

Thank you for replying. I couldn't remember the name of the beach and cliffs, so I will look them up. Thanks for the tip x

The view of the beach from the cliff looks very much like Lulworth to me.

Alan

16 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Hi Liz.

Keep uploading and I'm sure you'll start getting views, zooms and hopefully a sale or two.

I am pretty certain your beach view is of Man O' War beach, St. Oswalds Bay in Dorset.

+1 Looks very much like it.

I feel the need to disagree with Steve F,

In my opinion, keeping in mind that it is My Opinion, it is not about numbers.  It is about images and the IPTC

captions and keywords that is important.  If I create 300 RAW files, only five to a max of 20 will pass my selection to upload

to Alamy.  I would advise spending time selecting and researching the file info and keywords.

FYI with less than 1,000 images live with Alamy I was averaging over 70 licenses a year, which is a small number

compared to the many contributors with thousands of images online.

Chuck

Thanks everyone.  Yes it was Man O war beach, Lulworth thank you Dave, Alan and Iosdemas. 

Thanks Chuck. So I gather you're saying quality over quantity, but still may help to try up my numbers, but to be careful with my choices and keywords etc. 

Great advice everyone, thank you. 

Liz x

Right on Liz. I agree with Chuck.

Your images have to stand out from the crowd of the millions of images for sale, both at Alamy and elsewhere.

So the way to do it, in my opinion, is to first make images so great that they stand out from the crowd.

Once you make your images so great that they stand out from the crowd, then and only then, make more images that also stand out from the crowd.

Large numbers of images, that do not stand out from the crowd of millons, will be a low sales trap that you may never get out of.

3 hours ago, Liz Smith said:

Thanks everyone.  Yes it was Man O war beach, Lulworth thank you Dave, Alan and Iosdemas. 

Thanks Chuck. So I gather you're saying quality over quantity, but still may help to try up my numbers, but to be careful with my choices and keywords etc. 

Great advice everyone, thank you. 

Liz x

Of course quality counts, but so does quantity. But the most important thing is to caption and tag your pictures in the best possible way.

You can have hundreds of the most amazing images going, but if their discovery is hampered by poor captioning and tagging then sales will suffer.

With pictures of places it is imperative to include the location information. It's the first thing I do with that kind of image. If I have any uncertainty about location information, it's almost always simply resolved with an online search and even gets me the postcode.

That said, I think I need to give my collection another going over!!

Hi Liz ,

You have a lot to do on your keywording.

Take your pic of drake flapping wings for example

customer in puts drake then gets 46765 views

customer inputs duck flapping wings gets 1887 views

customer inputs drake flapping wings gets 631 views

customer inputs mallard drake flapping gets 305 views

Have a look at these 305 then judge if your pic can compete!

you need to think in terms of what,why,how,where but you need to keep them relevant.

Regen

Thanks everyone for all the extra great advice. I will go back over all of my photos and pay more attention to the titles and keywords. Also will maybe try harder to focus on standing out, rather than just putting all the photos I think will pass QC on. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

Liz x

3 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Strange the way it works as I seem to have sold more when I had about 200 images than now when I have a few more

not really Alamy probably had round about 1 million when you had 200. You have 1400 now but alamy have 150 million- do the maths to work how your chance has decreased.

regen

Archived