To the users of the SONY RX10 mk IV

Now the RX 10 mk IV has been out for some time I would like to ask any users of the model what they think about it for stock shooting/travel/landscape/sports/tabletop etc.

I would like to hear about any con's with the equipment and/or using same. The pro's are widely documented by others which make it seem a bit too good to be true.

We know that Jeff uses the RX 10 mk IV now but I wondered if there are any other users too.

Allan

I have it and absolutely love it.  For travel stock, it is the only camera I take.  It is a tad larger than its predecessors but the built in 24-600mm zoom is astonishing.  It is worth the little extra weight.  I don't shoot much video but what I have, the 4K video is amazing.  I have a two week trip coming up this winter and all other cameras are staying home.  I really haven't found any cons with it yet but will post here if/when I do. 

33 minutes ago, Stokie said:

I bought one on friday so i'll experiment when the weather improves and let you know!

John.

Thanks John. It would be interesting to hear your views comparing it to the equipment you have/had.

Oh and I would be especially interested in your views on the ELV.

Allan

On 8/26/2018 at 05:45, Michael Ventura said:

I have it and absolutely love it.  For travel stock, it is the only camera I take.  It is a tad larger than its predecessors but the built in 24-600mm zoom is astonishing.  It is worth the little extra weight.  I don't shoot much video but what I have, the 4K video is amazing.  I have a two week trip coming up this winter and all other cameras are staying home.  I really haven't found any cons with it yet but will post here if/when I do. 

Wow! That's an incredible zoooom range. What are the results like at the long end?

50 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Wow! That's an incredible zoooom range. What are the results like at the long end?

John, it is so much better than I expected, this is a true optical zoom, not a digital zoom.  I don't have a 600mm sample to post but I will take one soon and upload to Alamy  so you can see. It is truly one of those cameras that can cover just about anything.  

24 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

John, it is so much better than I expected, this is a true optical zoom, not a digital zoom.  I don't have a 600mm sample to post but I will take one soon and upload to Alamy  so you can see. It is truly one of those cameras that can cover just about anything.  

The RX10 IV doesn't fit into my meagre budget, but I'm sure everyone, including me, will look forward to seeing some samples down the road.

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The RX10 IV doesn't fit into my meagre budget, but I'm sure everyone, including me, will look forward to seeing some samples down the road.

I to would be interested in seeing sample images from both ends of the range, and anywhere in between.

Allan

I forgot that I had taken these photos with the RX10 IV.  Here is the same view of the capitol building in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, one shot at or near 24mm and the other at or near 450mm, both handheld. I don't have one uploaded yet taken at 600mm.

usa-pennsylvania-pa-harrisburg-looking-u

usa-pennsylvania-pa-harrisburg-looking-u

Thank you for posting those images Michael.

Not criticising here but the close image at 450mm looks a tad darker than the image above. Is this a result of the vagaries of the lens I wonder or done in processing?

I'm assuming both images were taken at the same time.

Allan

I have owned a RX 10 (24~200 F2.8) since they were first introduced. I now have a RX10 Mk III with the 24~600 F2.8-F4 Zeiss lens and it is remarkable. My Canon cameras sit on a shelf and cry to be used, but at my age, I love the lighter, mirrorless option. Most of my images on Alamy have been shot with the RX10s. The video capabilities of both cameras is exceptional (RX10 - 10 = 1080; RX10 Mk III = 4K). 

My RX10 traveled with me for a month long trip to Spain in 2016 as my only camera and performed well. It even fell of a park bench to concrete and continued to work without problems. It is my second camera now as I find the longer reach of the Mk III useful. 

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you for posting those images Michael.

Not criticising here but the close image at 450mm looks a tad darker than the image above. Is this a result of the vagaries of the lens I wonder or done in processing?

I'm assuming both images were taken at the same time. 

Allan

Hi Allan, 

Probaly more due to post processing.  They also were not taken one right after the other, there was some time in between.  The clouds had moved off by time I shot the tighter image.

Michael

20 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Hi Allan, 

Probaly more due to post processing.  They also were not taken one right after the other, there was some time in between.  The clouds had moved off by time I shot the tighter image.

Michael

Thanks for posting the images, Michael. This camera seems almost too good to be true. However, the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes, and the pudding looks pretty good. No doubt the RX10 IV will make an excellent travel companion. Unfortunately, a quick peek at my recent sales figures suggests that I won't be buying any expensive new toys in the near future. B)

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for posting the images, Michael. This camera seems almost too good to be true. However, the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes, and the pudding looks pretty good. No doubt the RX10 IV will make an excellent travel companion. Unfortunately, a quick peek at my recent sales figures suggests that I won't be buying any expensive new toys in the near future. B)

Yes, it is a bit pricey but I am glad I got it.  I have a two week trip to Europe coming up and I am pretty sure this is the only camera I will take......Maybe my RX100 III as a back up.  Definitely no DSLRs.  

52 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, it is a bit pricey but I am glad I got it.  I have a two week trip to Europe coming up and I am pretty sure this is the only camera I will take......Maybe my RX100 III as a back up.  Definitely no DSLRs.  

I always like to carry a backup as well. Cameras are now so complicated that there is a lot that can go wrong with them.

The RX10 IV certainly sounds like the right camera for your trip. It beats lugging around a bag full of lenses.

Which begs the question, are interchangeable lens cameras now on the way out?

I am also very interested in the Sony RX 10 mk IV.  I am photographing more and more theatre/dance/performance performances.  Audience don't like the sound of the camera shutter going off like a machine gun.  I'm interested in how the Sony handles low light, noise etc.  Any advice welcomed.

1 hour ago, Gordon Scammell said:

I am also very interested in the Sony RX 10 mk IV.  I am photographing more and more theatre/dance/performance performances.  Audience don't like the sound of the camera shutter going off like a machine gun.  I'm interested in how the Sony handles low light, noise etc.  Any advice welcomed.

I have used Fuji X-T1/T2 in poetry readings barely 3m from the poets with no problem, even the poets were not bothered by the shutter. At one event  I had cause to use my Canon 1Ds3 (now long gone) and I winced every time I pressed the shutter, the clatter in a quiet setting was awful!

Modern mirrorless cameras, including bridge cameras like RX, should have a near silent mechanical shutter if you switch off the artificial shutter sound most have. Electronic shutters are totally silent, the photographer hears nothing, that can be disconcerting. You have to be mindful that if there is movement or flicker ES can give strange effects (search rolling shutter problems). There is no way I would go back to a dslr - the mirror is old mechanical (noisy) technology that has been superceded by electronics.

I got the RX10 when it first came out. Had 2 models from different stores and each went back because the image quality was not up to the job. Time and time again it let me down on focus and sharpness. The video and lens quality was superb, as well as the compactness of the camera. I think the small sensor was the issue but I am sure they have improved things since then.

I've only had mine a couple of weeks. I noticed that auto focusing (centre) was difficult a couple of times at the long end. Still getting used to it so could have been operator error.

John.

This was the deal breaker for me when I looked at it. From dpreview  

Don't confuse being a well-rounded all-in-one camera with being a replacement for a sports-oriented interchangeable lens camera. The lack of ability to zoom while maintaining focus, and the relatively slow zoom speed compared to a manually driven zoom lens will surely be a deal breaker for serious action shooters. And while AF is excellent, it isn't sports-camera reliable. Furthermore, there's no AF fine tuning options like the ones found in most speed-oriented ILCs.

Not so good for

Sports and action photographers wishing to zoom while also maintaining focus on a moving subject.

Cheers and gone

Shergar 

Thank you Shergar for your input. These points have been highlighted to me in a personal email too.

On that basis I am moving away from the RX10 mk4 and am looking at other options.

Allan

Archived