I've been an Alamy contributor for over 10 years, but I'm getting tired of carrying around my big Canon SLR and an assortment of lenses. I recently purchased a small, versatile Sony digital camera (DSCHX90V/B) to use when I take occasional trips abroad. In my opinion, the images are just as sharp (or better) than the ones from my SLR, but they've been rejected by Alamy QC. Is anyone familiar with this camera? Any suggestions for a small, versatile camera so I no longer have to carry a heavy bag full of lenses? Thanks. 

I'll answer to bump the post- hopefully someone will come along to say "RX100" or "NEX" or whatever.

Sensor much too small, zoom much too long.  Reviews say no RAW and noisy at high ISO. jpegs from small sensors have no chance with QC.

20 hours ago, Robert Quinlan said:

Any suggestions for a small, versatile camera so I no longer have to carry a heavy bag full of lenses? Thanks. 

Sony RX100 Mk3 does the job for me. Highly versatile, even in low light. Telephoto zoom range somewhat restricted though.

Mark

I still prefer my Canon 5DII, but the RX100-3 is a great camera to bring with you at all times - and less conspicuous in some situations, and  it can produce night shots my Canon cannot do nearly as good. Arterra and others were  good at pointing this out in examples on the forum.

Search the forum, loads of older and new information, f.inst. by Google, sometimes better for older threads: 

https://www.google.dk/search?ei=bpQCW4OyEcHHwAKUybSYAg&q=alamy+forum+sony+rx100+night+shot&oq=alamy+forum+sony+rx100+night+shot&gs_l=psy-ab.3...6743.7255.0.8532.2.2.0.0.0.0.49.87.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.nTvToO14B1c

Niels

PS: I would say that it requires shooting in RAW - often some noise reduction  if light is not abundant - and often a reduction, more or less, in image size to dance through the QC.

To expand on Spacecadet's reply:

Look up "image sensor format" on wikipedia and look at the graphic on the right comparing sensor sizes, and the chart farther down.

Your new camera has a 1/2.3" sensor, which is in between the 1/1.8" and 1/2/5" sensors on the graphic. 

It appears that the smallest sensor size to produce acceptable images on Alamy is currently a 1" sensor, available in many cameras. As you see above, many Alamy photographers are enjoying the light weight and results of the Sony RX-100, mostly the mk III model. Your sensor has about one-fourth of the area of a 1" sensor.

Also the huge range of your 30x zoom lens can't measure up to the more normal ranges of most of the 1" sensor cameras.

On 20/05/2018 at 15:06, Robert Quinlan said:

I've been an Alamy contributor for over 10 years, but I'm getting tired of carrying around my big Canon SLR and an assortment of lenses. I recently purchased a small, versatile Sony digital camera (DSCHX90V/B) to use when I take occasional trips abroad. 

You could have written this bit about me :) 

But the HX90V comes nowhere near a DSLR in image quality. To see the difference, compare images at full size and look at how well each camera renders fine detail.

Somewhat off topic, apols.

Currently shooting with a Sony a6500. The sensor is very good indeed. This morning I reprocessed a couple of shots taken using a Canon 5D I years ago and was amazed (horrified actually) at the noise on an image shot at ISO 400 and pushed a little. I was able to get an acceptable result by combining a couple of raw conversions, but the a6500 is way better. Things have moved on....

45 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Somewhat off topic, apols.

Currently shooting with a Sony a6500. The sensor is very good indeed. This morning I reprocessed a couple of shots taken using a Canon 5D I years ago and was amazed (horrified actually) at the noise on an image shot at ISO 400 and pushed a little. I was able to get an acceptable result by combining a couple of raw conversions, but the a6500 is way better. Things have moved on....

Have to agree, the 24MP sensor in my new a6000 (same as the one in the a6500, I believe) is a big improvement over the 16MP one in my NEX-6, which I thought was very good. Images from the a6000 show much less noise and crisper detail, even with my less-than-perfect lenses. And this confession from a semi-Luddite ... B)

P.S. Robert, Sony has been offering some big discounts lately on the a6000 w/16-50 lens (mine was $200 off in Canada). It's very light and compact. I find that the 16-50 "pancake" lens pairs well with the relatively compact Sony E 55-210. The a6000 and these two lenses easily fit into a small camera bag. This combo is of course not nearly as compact as the RX100. Sony has also recently introduced an E 18-135, which would no doubt make a good travel lens for the a6000. I've had a look at it, and the lens is surprisingly small given the 5X zoom. It's a bit pricey IMO, though.

23 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Sony RX100 Mk3 does the job for me. Highly versatile, even in low light. Telephoto zoom range somewhat restricted though.

Mark

Wow, good to know about the low light capabilities.

Yes, it's certainly a learning curve for me with the limited telephoto (my usual whine is "400mm is too short"), but I understand that's what keeps the IQ up.

Archived