The size of your portfolio when you made your first sale

17 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I can beat that John, it was 26 months to my first sale from joining.:wacko:

Allan

Allan,

I don't know why we persevered - but i'm glad I did.

John.

56 minutes ago, Stokie said:

Allan,

I don't know why we persevered - but i'm glad I did.

John.

I certainly do not know why I persevered but at the time I was learning the art of digital photography and found Alamy to be a very good teacher, along with lots of very obliging contributors at that time giving advice too through the forums.

As far as income, well, it leaves a lot to be desired but a lot of that is down to me and the type of images I produce and the keywording I apply to my images.

Yes it is a hobby and gives me an interest, among other things, in my retirement even if it does not supplement my pension income.

I have also been lucky in meeting some very nice people through the Cambridge contributor group meetings who have become good friends.

Yes I think it has been worth it and pleased I persevered after all.

Allan

This was my first Alamy sale, made in September 2005, 6 months after I joined. I'm not sure of how many images I had contributed at the time, but I reckon it was less than 300. It's a RF sale that made $248. It shows a barrow stuck in manure. Not a bad analogy for my photography career at present.

barrow.jpg

Joined Alamy on 3rd February 2010 and had to wait until 25 October 2010 for my first sale for $150 gross.

By then I had submitted 1857 images. I must have been a very patient person in those days!

In year 1 I ended up with only 2 sales. But things started picking up in year 2 with 41 sales.

First sale just over a year after my first submission, notable mainly because I didn't notice for about eleven months. I'd given up checking. Hadn't been paid because I'd not got around to giving them any bank details. Probably had less than 100 images up at the time. The main lesson I've learned on this forum over the past few months is the need to greatly increase my submission rate. 

Archived