Out of all the existing Sony NEX marks which do you, who use them, think is the best and why?

Of the Sony proposed NEX marks (incl FF) which do you think you would purchase for stock work?

What are/would be your lenses of choice for use with the mark you would buy?

Allan

Out of all the existing Sony NEX marks which do you, who use them, think is the best and why?

Of the Sony proposed NEX marks (incl FF) which do you think you would purchase for stock work?

What are/would be your lenses of choice for use with the mark you would buy?

Allan

With the arrival of the 16-70 Zeiss lens, I would say a Nex 7 pared with that lens would / should be good (should get some good deals soon if the new version comes out). Nice range and I would expect the IQ of the lens to be very good.

The FF Nex is likely to be at least £2.5-£3k and not sure about the availability of lenses, there size and weight etc.... Either way, quite a bit of money before buying lenses and other kit to complete a system.... deep pockets would be required I think.

I don't use the NEX system yet but have been considering it as a carry anywhere camera. The problem to date seems to have been that available glass does not come up to sensor standards. As Duncan mentioned above Zeiss have introduced two new constant f4 lenses which could address the problem but we will have to watch this space until more info is available, and to see if they match the small body for use as a carry anywhere combo. My understanding at present is that the 7 is a pixel too far and that the 6 gives better IQ with the advantage over the 5 of having a viewfinder.

Hope this helps.

Joe

I own the NEX-3, the NEX-6 and NEX-7.

The NEX-6 is the one I find most useful and prefer. 16.1MP is plenty for me. Controls are more user friendly and the hot shoe is universal. The hot shoe on the NEX-7 takes only Sony flash. User friendly? The NEX-7 has 100 menu items. Okay, I'm used to the NEX-7 now, but it was not easy to learn. 

Are you concerned about noise control? I am. I regularly shoot at ISO800 and 1,600 with the NEX-6; I try not to set the NEX-7 above ISO400. 

I have zero interest in an FF NEX. 

It's nice to see that Sony is finally coming out with some high-end zooms. But I will stay with my primes: 16mm, 24mm Sony Zeiss (the best!), 30mm and 50mm. I owned a Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 for three day. There is a separate post of that drama.  

Very happy with NEX 6, much prefer it to my Canon 5DII,  and currently using heritage primes along with Sony 55-210, and, very occasionally the Sony 16-50. Currently eyeing the Zeiss 16-70 with great interest. 

For street work a heritage 28mm (42mm equiv) set to about 10-15 ft, copes with most eventualities - you don't have to worry about focus. It's a bit like shooting with a box camera, except that the results are somewhat better.....

Many thanks to Duncan, Joe, Ed and Bryan for your replies. It appears that the Nex 6 would be the preferred mark from comments above.

As for lenses I am a bit of a lazy sod but do find zooms useful. Having said that I like primes for the extra quality too so will have to try some different lenses out should I finally take the plunge.

Thanks again.

Allan

It's nice to see that Sony is finally coming out with some high-end zooms. But I will stay with my primes: 16mm, 24mm Sony Zeiss (the best!), 30mm and 50mm. I owned a Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 for three day. There is a separate post of that drama.  

Read your post about the Zeiss Touit. (I think they called it by that name as they had finally got around "to it".)

I had a Zeiss wide lens for my Canon some time ago but was not happy with the blurred edges and soon got rid of it.

Not sure if Zeiss lenses are all they are cracked up to be.

Allan

Read your post about the Zeiss Touit. (I think they called it by that name as they had finally got around "to it".)

I had a Zeiss wide lens for my Canon some time ago but was not happy with the blurred edges and soon got rid of it.

Not sure if Zeiss lenses are all they are cracked up to be.

Allan

Yeah, that was scary. But I wouldn't condemn Zeiss lenses out of hand. Long ago I own the famous original Carl Zeiss Sonnar f/2.8/180mm, a great lens. The Touit line seems to be their attempt at adding AF. 

I was just looking carefully at the specs on the three newest Sony zooms. Before you run out and throw $1,000 at someone, let me point out a couple of "small details" I noticed: The very attractive Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70 f/4 (with OSS!) has a minimum focus of 13.78". Oh oh. My Sony Zeiss 24 f/1.8 focuses to 6.5", and so it is my workhorse and a handy closeup lens. I do a lot of on-the-run food shots, travel, you might call it. I'm shooting in a restaurant, normally, if the light is attractive. DCYBDK is a recent example. About 25% of my sales involve food.

So carrying the 16-70 would mean I would have to carry another lens. That's something I take seriously.

I'm looking forward to reading some serious reviews on all these new zooms: 10-18, 16-70 and 18-105.

Hi Ed, I'm not condemning Zeiss out of hand, just saying I don't think they are as good as they are made out to be. In fact I have a good Zeiss lens at the moment on my Sony RX100. Granted a little fuzzy at the edges when zoomed out but nothing drastic, and can be cropped if allowance made for it. It is also a great little closeup lens when set at the wide end.

Looked at DCYBDK, nice shoot and I fancy a taste of the content right now. I have a few food shots myself but they don't seem to be doing anything just yet.

Although the Nex 6 looks good I would still be interested to read a writeup and handle the new Panasonic GX7 before taking the plunge with yet another camera system.

Allan

The CZ24 for the NEX is an extremely good lens. Like Ed, mine does most of my NEX work, in fact it has done all of it since I got it earlier in the year. I don't know about the Touit's, I don't intend to use them. As far as the NEX goes, the only other lens I am likely to use is the Sigma 30.

As far as my preferred NEX model goes, I like the 6 and the 5N. I have seen results from the 7 and they were very good, but I don't see myself buying one.

The CZ24 for the NEX is an extremely good lens. Like Ed, mine does most of my NEX work, in fact it has done all of it since I got it earlier in the year. I don't know about the Touit's, I don't intend to use them. As far as the NEX goes, the only other lens I am likely to use is the Sigma 30.

As far as my preferred NEX model goes, I like the 6 and the 5N. I have seen results from the 7 and they were very good, but I don't see myself buying one.

Richard, I assume you're talking about the newer, space-age shiny version. Even in the UK, the price is so reasonable, how bad can the investment be? I own both the original Sigma 30 and the Sony 30. (Bought them before I was able to get the Sony Z24, of course.) The thing is the difference in the view between the 24 (36) and the 30 (45) is only 9mm. I tend to choose the 36, with its superior attributes such as closer focusing and sharpness, most every time. The Sony 50mm (75 view) is a better lens and has OSS. 

Allan, let me give you a quick step by step of how I shoot in restaurants. I do lunch only. Of course I try to choose a table that has good light. If the lighting is bad, I don't shoot. I don't use flash because I want to cause as little disruption to the other customers as possible. Because of the fact that I can frame with the Sony Z24 without having to stand up is also a big help. This winter I plan to do a lot more food at home. 

I have used the 7 and the 5n, but not the 6 or later version of the 5 - also the 3, and the original 5. Like others, I found the noise levels on the 7 too disruptive and prefer the 16 megapixel sensor for all-round robust 100-3200 performance. The 6 has real appeal but I've got an optical finder (16mm) for the 5n and don't plan to change my kit. I bought an 18-200mm Tamron VC DiIII and this has been a really very useful lens. I'd rather have a 5n or the new A3000 SLR-style body (if eye-level viewing was vital) plus this lens, than invest in a 6 or 7 with a lesser range lens.

I'm still using my trusty NEX-3, which continues to serve me well. I really like the NEX-6. However, due to budgetary constraints, I'm starting to look at getting a much cheaper "pre-owned" 5n to replace the 3. Using the LCD screen to compose has become second nature to me now, so much so that I wonder how much I would actually use the EVF. 

I'm still using my trusty NEX-3, which continues to serve me well. I really like the NEX-6. However, due to budgetary constraints, I'm starting to look at getting a much cheaper "pre-owned" 5n to replace the 3. Using the LCD screen to compose has become second nature to me now, so much so that I wonder how much I would actually use the EVF. 

I find that I use the EVF of the 6 virtually all of the time, it avoids having to wear my specs, and there are no problems with reflections etc. In addition to focusing and composing I also use it to preview images and to decide what to keep/dump. The only time I use the rear screen is when I have to hold the camera above my head, or for very low level shots. To be honest I often find that I have difficulty in seeing what is on the screen in those circumstances.  The EVF is expensive, but very, very handy.

I find that I use the EVF of the 6 virtually all of the time, it avoids having to wear my specs, and there are no problems with reflections etc. In addition to focusing and composing I also use it to preview images and to decide what to keep/dump. The only time I use the rear screen is when I have to hold the camera above my head, or for very low level shots. To be honest I often find that I have difficulty in seeing what is on the screen in those circumstances.  The EVF is expensive, but very, very handy.

I've probably just gotten use to squinting. I had difficulty composing with an LCD screen at first, but -- much to my surprise -- I've adapted to it quite well. Must admit that having to put on my reading glasses (a.k.a. "specs") in order to see the screen is a drag. However, when I'm using a DSLR with a viewfinder, I have to compose with my glasses off but then have to put them back on in order to use the camera controls. Can't win, it seems. Oh to have the 20/20 eyesight of years gone by!

If I do buy a 5n, I will also look around for the attachable EVF. B&H in New York has them for under $200 I believe. Still not cheap, though, when you add it to the price of the camera.

I think that all NEX cameras are good for stock. The image quality are on all the same. Its all about if you can work with only lcd or that you prefer the viewfinder. I have the NEX 5n and the NEX-6. I prefer the NEX-6 over the 5n because of the viewfinder. On the other hand the NEX 5n is smaller and is the camera that i have all the time with me. Image quality is both exactly the same. They carry both the same sensor.

I think that all NEX cameras are good for stock. The image quality are on all the same. Its all about if you can work with only lcd or that you prefer the viewfinder. I have the NEX 5n and the NEX-6. I prefer the NEX-6 over the 5n because of the viewfinder. On the other hand the NEX 5n is smaller and is the camera that i have all the time with me. Image quality is both exactly the same. They carry both the same sensor.

Thank you for your valued input Mirco. I am definitely leaning towards the NEX 6 as I like the facility of the ELVF as well as the image quality I keep hearing and reading about.

Allan

Ed Rooney quoted:- 

Allan, let me give you a quick step by step of how I shoot in restaurants. I do lunch only. Of course I try to choose a table that has good light. If the lighting is bad, I don't shoot. I don't use flash because I want to cause as little disruption to the other customers as possible. Because of the fact that I can frame with the Sony Z24 without having to stand up is also a big help. This winter I plan to do a lot more food at home. 

End quote.

Thank you Ed for the insight into your modus operandi for shooting food stock. I have a similar working ethic for lunch times but take most of my shots at evening meals. At the time we go for our meal there are very few, and mostly no other guests, at the restaurant, also the owners do not mind me taking pictures and flash is not a problem. :)

As for the lenses I am intending to use, as well as the Sony makes, my 12mm Voiglander (Leica M mount) along with 21mm and 35mm Leica lenses seem to fit the bill. I do not think I would venture with anything longer without OSS. Hands are getting a bit shakey in my old age. A Nex E mount to Leica M mount adapter can be obtained from SRB-Griturn in the UK for just under £30. (approx $45)

Allan

Yesterday I went to the only shop in town that sells the NEX 6. Played with it for a while paying particular attention to the ELVF as that is one of the features I prefer in a camera. Despite twiddling with the diopter control I could not achieve a good image in the viewfinder. Sure I could get the information lines top and bottom sharp but the image was always a bit blurred.

Three things I wondered: could it be a bad example of the genre, could it be the lighting in the shop, could it be my eyes?

I was still considering buying one but was told that there were none in stock and I could not have the display model. (Not that I wanted it if it turned out to be a bad example.)

Have any other users experienced problems with the ELVF on the NEX 6?

Have any users of the Nex 7 ELVF had problems?

Allan

The NEX-6 is good on so many everyday, practical ways that I'm considering selling my NEX-7 to buy another 6. Since I'm just shooting for Alamy, what do I really need with a 24.3MP camera that has noise issues above ISO400? 16 megs is more than enough. 

Edo

Yesterday I went to the only shop in town that sells the NEX 6. Played with it for a while paying particular attention to the ELVF as that is one of the features I prefer in a camera. Despite twiddling with the diopter control I could not achieve a good image in the viewfinder. Sure I could get the information lines top and bottom sharp but the image was always a bit blurred.

Three things I wondered: could it be a bad example of the genre, could it be the lighting in the shop, could it be my eyes?

I was still considering buying one but was told that there were none in stock and I could not have the display model. (Not that I wanted it if it turned out to be a bad example.)

Have any other users experienced problems with the ELVF on the NEX 6?

Have any users of the Nex 7 ELVF had problems?

Allan

Are you sure that you had focused the lens before adjusting the EVF? I played around with the NEX-6 diopter in a camera store and couldn't get a clear image. Then I realized that I hadn't pressed the shutter in order to focus the lens. No problems after doing that. Also, the camera might have been left on manual focusing without your realizing it.

Archived