Yesterday I went to the only shop in town that sells the NEX 6. Played with it for a while paying particular attention to the ELVF as that is one of the features I prefer in a camera. Despite twiddling with the diopter control I could not achieve a good image in the viewfinder. Sure I could get the information lines top and bottom sharp but the image was always a bit blurred.

Have any other users experienced problems with the ELVF on the NEX 6?

Allan

Suspect that John has the correct answer.

I've not had any problems with the NEX 6 EVF, and I normally use reading glasses. They are unnecessary with the NEX 6 and its dioptre fitted viewfinder. If the textual info is sharp then the adjustment is correct for the image too. 

The NEX-6 is good on so many everyday, practical ways that I'm considering selling my NEX-7 to buy another 6. Since I'm just shooting for Alamy, what do I really need with a 24.3MP camera that has noise issues above ISO400? 16 megs is more than enough. 

Edo

Ed, apart from the better sensor, in what other ways do you find the NEX-6 better than the NEX-7?

I bought the 7 before the 6 came out, and I have never used a 6, but based on this review by DPReview (especially the section titled "control dial") the controls on the 6 seem rather limited (read: frustrating) compared to the 7.

Very interested in hearing your experience.

Perhaps you're more of a techie than I am, Niels. For "rather limited" I read simpler and more ergonomic. I see myself as a shooter. Equipment is necessary, but I have never loved it that much.

The NEX-7 has 100 menu items! That does not bring me joy. Back off, Sony! And they have backed off . . . with the NEX-6. I can and do use the 7 and I like it enough.  But if I go out semi-aimlessly for a couple of hours, I don't want to be limited to daylight. On a whim, I might go down into the Subway or stop in a restaurant or a building where I might be called on to use ISO800 or 1,600. I don't feel the NEX-7 is flexible enough for that. 

In NYC these days I almost never bring along a tripod, and I own several. The sidewalk traffic is just too dense. For a long time I was a pro. I'm retired now. With the money I earn from stock these days I'm forced to consider myself a rather dumb amateur. But shooting does keep me in motion, and that's a good thing. 

Indeed, sometimes less is more, although I was under the impression the 6 has the same 100 menu items as the 7?

I think I would miss the extra control wheel of the 7, but then I have never used the 6. I'm planning to pick up the new Zeiss 16-70 when it's available, when I'm in the store I'll make sure to give the Nex-6 a try.

I have tried the 55-210mm with the 5n and 7, which I guess covers the 6 in some ways. We have a 55-210mm for one 5 kit. It's OK, but like so many stabilised lenses seems able to have a soft 'at one side' result sometimes. I use a Tamron VC DiIII 18-200mm instead. It's no worse optically, and just far more useful as a range to have on the camera.

Are you sure that you had focused the lens before adjusting the EVF? I played around with the NEX-6 diopter in a camera store and couldn't get a clear image. Then I realized that I hadn't pressed the shutter in order to focus the lens. No problems after doing that. Also, the camera might have been left on manual focusing without your realizing it.

Hi John, Yes the autofocus was working as when I pressed the shutter the camera beeped to confirm focus and the image in the EVF changed but was still not sharp. When I took a photo or two in the shop they looked sharp on the rear screen. At one stage the camera would not work and informed me, on the rear screen, that the lens was not making contact, so removed lens and refitted it, but still no improvement to image in EVF.

Allan

I have tried the 55-210mm with the 5n and 7, which I guess covers the 6 in some ways. We have a 55-210mm for one 5 kit. It's OK, but like so many stabilised lenses seems able to have a soft 'at one side' result sometimes. I use a Tamron VC DiIII 18-200mm instead. It's no worse optically, and just far more useful as a range to have on the camera.

Hello David, I recently saw an advert for a Tamron long zoom lens, not sure which, but was interested to note that the ad stated that the stabilised lens featured had a note in small print that, on a Sony camera, the stabilisation function did not operate.

Have you seen that?

Allan

Has anybody tried the 55-210mm Telephoto Lens with the NEX 6, and if so, what is the image quality like?

John.

PS what is SLR Hut like to buy from?

I haven't tried the 55-210mm with the NEX-6, but I use one with my NEX-3 and am quite happy with it. The one I have is capable of producing very sharp results, plus there is negligible CA or distortion. I'm a little disappointed with the image stabilization (OSS), though. It doesn't seem nearly as efficient as the sensor-shift system built into my Sony DSLR. Otherwise, I think this is a really good lens for the price.

P.S. I have noticed the "soft on one side" issue that David mentioned. But it isn't consistent, making me wonder if I'm not the one one who is getting fuzzy on one side.

Are you sure that you had focused the lens before adjusting the EVF? I played around with the NEX-6 diopter in a camera store and couldn't get a clear image. Then I realized that I hadn't pressed the shutter in order to focus the lens. No problems after doing that. Also, the camera might have been left on manual focusing without your realizing it.

Hi John, Yes the autofocus was working as when I pressed the shutter the camera beeped to confirm focus and the image in the EVF changed but was still not sharp. When I took a photo or two in the shop they looked sharp on the rear screen. At one stage the camera would not work and informed me, on the rear screen, that the lens was not making contact, so removed lens and refitted it, but still no improvement to image in EVF.

Allan

Perhaps that particular camera had been inadvertently drop-kicked by another customer. Seriously, display cameras do sometimes take a beating in camera shops.

Quote John Mitchell:

"Perhaps that particular camera had been inadvertently drop-kicked by another customer. Seriously, display cameras do sometimes take a beating in camera shops."

Unquote.

That had crossed my mind too John. Another thought is perhaps the lighting in the shop was affecting the EVF as I did notice some interference patterns depending on which way the camera was pointed.

Will have to wait now till I can try out another of the mark in another shop. I do not intend to buy direct off the internet even from another retail store without trying one good one first.

Allan

If an equipment box has been opened, I return it. This has only happened once. 

On the other hand, a great bargain, if you can find it, is refurbished gear. I own a Nikon 24-120 f/4 VRII zoom that I bought refurbished. It had a strong Adorama warranty, cost me $200 less and is a great sample. There were many bad samples out there with this street zoom. When manufacturers refurbish a camera or lens, they fix and adjust all problems "by hand." 

Wow, for a guy who claims to be uninterested in gear, I sure do talk about it a lot.  :)

Archived