Hellonearth

Relationship between zooms and sales

Since 1/7/2017 until now I have had 50 zooms and 20 sale but only one of my sales has originated (although I cannot be sure of this as it could be a coincidence) from a zoom. Does this mean that zooms are actually irrelevant? Does it also mean that Alamy is short changing us by including CTR as one of the criteria for ranking?

Kevin

If your zooms are from alamy website and sales from distributors, there is no relation between them.The ranking algorithm takes into consideration the views, zooms and sales, but the proportion is hard to find.

It always used to be a rough rule of thumb that 4 zooms would lead to 1 sale.

No idea if that still has any validity. 

Not in my collection. And I see no relationship between zoomed images and sold images either.

Not in mine either. Most images licensed have not been zoomed.

Allan

40 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Not in mine either. Most images licensed have not been zoomed.

Allan

How many zooms and how many sales have you had over a given period of time, and what ratio is that?

Posted (edited)

Setting the calendar back as far as it goes (01 March 2017) and totalling all zooms and sales my ratio is 3.53

I haven't looked at which sales were actually zoomed. 

Looking back between 28 Feb and 28 March 2018 the ratio is 3.25

Edited by geogphotos

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

Setting the calendar back as far as it goes (01 March 2017) and totalling all zooms and sales my ratio is 3.53

I haven't looked at which sales were actually zoomed. 

A search here on the forum for zooms sales ratio will take you back much further.

Mine:

Year    Z/S    AvCTR    TotCTR

2007    17.2    1.15    1.15    
2008    15.5    1.17    0.95
2009    7.4       0.31    0.51
2010    4.1       0.39    0.44
2011    3.3       0.34    0.53
2012    2.4       0.16    0.58
2013    2           1.04    0.53
2014    2.7       2.75    0.51
2015    3.5       1.27    0.78
2016    2.6       8.29    0.87
2017    2.4       0.83    1.01
2018    2.8       0.76    1.05

(2007 is the first year I started recording numbers)

Do these numbers mean anything?

Maybe if you see them in context:

2007    447    39,036    26    17.2    1501    1.15    1.15                    
2008    837    88,281    54    15.5    1635    1.17    0.95                    
2009    444    47,663    60    7.4    794    0.31    0.51        
2010    307    60,646    74    4.1    820    0.39    0.44        
2011    307    57,883    92    3.3    629    0.34    0.53        
2012    328    56,872    134    2.4    424    0.16    0.58    
2013    424    80,084    202    2    396    1.04    0.53        
2014    504    98,000    185    2.7    530    2.75    0.51        
2015    771    98,840    219    3.5    451    1.27    0.78        
2016    922    105,696   351    2.6    301    8.29    0.87
2017    774    76,778    317    2.4    242    0.83    1.01

;-)

wim

Edited by wiskerke
link

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

My ratio of zooms : sales is 3.1 : 1 over the same period.

About 10% of the images on which I've had zooms (as recorded in "Your images") have subsequently sold

Some images have sold multiple times with only one recorded zoom.

But the majority of my  sales (about 66%) have never been zoomed as recorded in "Your images" (which doesn't record all zooms)

For me it's very rare that the zoom and sale occur together (usually a mysterious personal use sale from an Alamy customer who has an Alamy Business account which is included within "Your image" stats)

Mark

20 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Year    Z/S    AvCTR    TotCTR

2015    3.5       1.27    0.78
2016    2.6       8.29    0.87
2017    2.4       0.83    1.01
2018    2.8       0.76    1.05

Those are some nice Total CTRs...

I'm currently hovering around 0.55 :(

Probably a combination of me having too many dupes, not keywording tightly enough and images not good enough. I must try harder...:unsure:

6 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Those are some nice Total CTRs...

I'm currently hovering around 0.55 :(

Probably a combination of me having too many dupes, not keywording tightly enough and images not good enough. I must try harder...:unsure:

That's about the same as my top pseudo and the reasons are probably much the same as yours interns of editing and keywords. I think it is a good enough CTR as a compromise between getting sales and not editing too tightly.

But we really should not compare ourselves to Wim's. 

22 hours ago, geogphotos said:

How many zooms and how many sales have you had over a given period of time, and what ratio is that?

My ratio of zooms to sales is 6.55

Allan

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

My ratio of zooms to sales is 6.55

Allan

Interesting to see that they vary quite a bit. Can't think why that would be :wacko:

Posted (edited)

3.24 for the last year, but highly variable- 7 this month, but one zoom this month actually led to a sale this month (not yet reported, of course).

Edited by spacecadet

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Interesting to see that they vary quite a bit. Can't think why that would be :wacko:

Probably down to my image type/tagging etc.

Allan

Just now, Allan Bell said:

Probably down to my image type/tagging etc.

Allan

Maybe buyers having a closer look, maybe comparing similar ones before deciding? 

Posted (edited)

Interesting, I also looked from Mar 1st to today I have had 2 sales per 3 zooms. 

This year from Jan 1st is more like 1 sale per 3 zooms.

Guess this is as I had one and the same picture selling quite a few times last year.  

Edited by hdh

From My experience,  Most of the "Zooms" do not appear as a license, can not even write sale....."

until much latter,  but my experience tells me that a "license" does result down the road.  I think, which

does not make it so, that a major part of this is that Alamy does not report sales quickly through no

fault of Alamy.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, geogphotos said:

But we really should not compare ourselves to Wim's. 

Why not?  Aren't his numbers (and impressive sales versus size of his portfolio) something to aspire to and learn from?

From a portfolio of around 2,400 images Wim appears to have had 774 zooms  76,778 views and 317 sales in 2017 (assuming I've understood his numbers above).

Whereas my portfolio of around 3,500 images had 214 zooms, 43,566 views and  62 sales. Plenty of scope for improvement methinks.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

50 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Why not?  Aren't his numbers (and impressive sales versus size of his portfolio) something to aspire to and learn from?

From a portfolio of around 2,400 images Wim appears to have had 774 zooms  76,778 views and 317 sales in 2017 (assuming I've understood his numbers above).

Whereas my portfolio of around 3,500 images had 214 zooms, 43,566 views and  62 sales. Plenty of scope for improvement methinks.

Mark

Thank you, Mark, I'm flattered.

However I'm far behind mr Snapper and mr Greenberg to name just a few.

(I don't want to out some other big sellers, but we can guess their names when we see them pop up week after week in the images found threads.)

You understood the numbers correctly. Also you can see how wildly they can swing, almost always because something Alamy changed.

Improvements?

In your case I would diversify just a little bit more but take into account what are repeat sellers. Because having some of those help a lot.

You could also try to take a leaf out of the books of Keith and Jeff, but with your own subjects and style.

What in general brings one further the quickest, is to apply what one is already good at, to something new.

This goes both ways: new subjects with familiar style and technique and familiar subjects with new style and technique.

wim

9 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

Yes indeed, my comment was that you ( certainly me) are following a different path to Wim's one of low numbers of exceptional quality and very tight editing.

I meant nothing negative just following on from your comment about similars and content. 

My 50,000 pics and Wim's 2400 are not likely to have the same Alamy CTR stats. 

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Thank you, Mark, I'm flattered.

However I'm far behind mr Snapper and mr Greenberg to name just a few.

You're welcome. I reckon that using sales per image in portfolio as a measure of success (= a measure of efficiency), you're not behind, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if you're ahead of most.

Mark

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes indeed, my comment was that you ( certainly me) are following a different path to Wim's one of low numbers of exceptional quality and very tight editing.

Indeed. But I'd sure like to move my path closer to Wim's, but can I do it? Probably not. Photography is just a hobby for me, and for some reason I find it difficult to edit so tightly. I take lots of pictures, throw away most of them, but still upload too many. I don't seem to be able to resist.... I like that picture... you never know it might sell .... I'll upload it and see.... I like taking the pictures and I like editing them, but I don't enjoy the subsequent keywording, and my current $ return per image is so low (and falling) that it's becoming harder to justify the time and effort. Mmm... I think a change of approach might be beneficial. But can I convince myself to carry out a cull of my images and only upload the best? Maybe I should set up a new pseudo, although my testing suggests that pseudo's images aren't placed as independently as I'd like.

Just musing :)

Mark

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Indeed. But I'd sure like to move my path closer to Wim's, but can I do it? Probably not. Photography is just a hobby for me, and for some reason I find it difficult to edit so tightly. I take lots of pictures, throw away most of them, but still upload too many. I don't seem to be able to resist.... I like that picture... you never know it might sell .... I'll upload it and see.... I like taking the pictures and I like editing them, but I don't enjoy the subsequent keywording, and my current $ return per image is so low (and falling) that it's becoming harder to justify the time and effort. Mmm... I think a change of approach might be beneficial. But can I convince myself to carry out a cull of my images and only upload the best? Maybe I should set up a new pseudo, although my testing suggests that pseudo's images aren't placed as independently as I'd like.

Just musing :)

Mark

I agree, it is always interesting to think about new directions. As far as I can see one of the most successful Alamy photographers does this.

Step 1 is the hardest!!

1) Get a very high Alamy Rank so that your images appear in the very first slots for searches of, for example, a large UK town

2) Research the top 3 or 4 most in demand iconic pictures of that town/place

3) Plan a day that includes brief stops at 5-10 towns/places in a day

4) Edit down to 1 or 2 pics of each of the most in demand pictures, perhaps less

5) Process to create bright, vibrant images

6) Repeat day after day

I'm also musing at the moment -  about going off the beaten track - we will see. As you say a major, major restriction is the low fees these days. 

On the other hand we could keep enjoying what we are doing, just try and do it better!

Edited by geogphotos

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.