Photography tax in Italy

On 11/2/2017 at 16:47, Bryan said:

The Italian Amalfi coast town of Positano is asking for a Eu1000 permit before allowing commercial photography. A video licence will cost Eu2000.  Educational, journalistic or private use will be exempt.

Will existing photos be  exempt?

Thin end of the wedge?

Bryan,

i had to find out the original news in italian to be sure to read it without mistakes.

It's a shame... I believe they did to protect the town from a massive use for commercial adv but it's a no sense anyway.

Probably they observed Positano was plenty of phs and models and disturbing the "aurea" around the old town...can't believe that 

17 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

Sounds a bit offensive isn't it?

It was mean in a light-hearted way, KODAKovic. Apologies if I offended you. It just happens to be my personal experience with Italian authorities at the local level, over the years and many visits to different regions. 

9 hours ago, imageplotter said:

It was mean in a light-hearted way, KODAKovic. Apologies if I offended you. It just happens to be my personal experience with Italian authorities at the local level, over the years and many visits to different regions. 

my only concern here is i can't find the button "ignore user" i found out in other forums.

don't try to guess who sent you a red arrow AND reported your post to Alamy staff

Oh well, we all have bad days. More importantly, and going back to the original topic - I do think that an increase in more stringent rules and regulations around photography and use of images is quite apparent in most countries, and it seems we have a growing number of threads on this as well. Probably inevitable given the rapid rise of mobile phone photography. 

15 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

my only concern here is i can't find the button "ignore user" i found out in other forums.

don't try to guess who sent you a red arrow AND reported your post to Alamy staff

I am sorry you feel sensitive about comments about your country. I sure have heard plenty of negative ones about mine and it can be hard to shrug off. It sounds to me like Christine has a love of your country in spite of a few possibly difficult experiences. I took a quick look at your pictures and noticed that you seem to have run afoul of a feature of the image manager. A couple of photos of someone struggling to climb are captioned with the same words as those of someone relaxing after having climbed up. You'll probably want to correct that. If you don't deselect after working on an image your caption will continue over to the subsequent images. Please don't think I am thinking it is your fault. That is a feature of the image manager (among many) that I don't like.

Paulette

11 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I am sorry you feel sensitive about comments about your country. I sure have heard plenty of negative ones about mine and it can be hard to shrug off. It sounds to me like Christine has a love of your country in spite of a few possibly difficult experiences. I took a quick look at your pictures and noticed that you seem to have run afoul of a feature of the image manager. A couple of photos of someone struggling to climb are captioned with the same words as those of someone relaxing after having climbed up. You'll probably want to correct that. If you don't deselect after working on an image your caption will continue over to the subsequent images. Please don't think I am thinking it is your fault. That is a feature of the image manager (among many) that I don't like.

Paulette

I'm going to nominate you for next UN Secretary-General, Paulette! Takes a special talent. ;) :)

BTW, when you get in, keep using the same profile photo! 

Anyway, it's Italy, so this year's tax will be next year's old news and it will probably never be enforced anyway. If in doubt, it can all be discussed over a glass of the above mentioned Chianti with the local police representative. Who is likely to be the landlord's second cousin and anyhoo... salute!

-----

Saying "this year's tax will be the next year's old news" or "it can all be discussed over a glass of wine" or again "who's likely to be landlords' second cousing" IS offensive.

Moreover it's a general sentence like saying "everyone in UK are cold people" which i don't think.

I know we as italians are well known all other the world for mafia or for issues like taxes not paid regularly but every country has its own problems and it's offensive to make all-purpose sentences like the ones above. 

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Paulette, yes thanks for reporting.

It was the Cmd+c and Cmd+v which caused these errors... Captions are wrong while in keywords i should have changed them properly...let me double check.

Thanks again

58 minutes ago, KODAKovic said:

Paulette, yes thanks for reporting.

It was the Cmd+c and Cmd+v which caused these errors... Captions are wrong while in keywords i should have changed them properly...let me double check.

Thanks again

You are quite welcome. 

Paulette 

3 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

Anyway, it's Italy, so this year's tax will be next year's old news and it will probably never be enforced anyway. If in doubt, it can all be discussed over a glass of the above mentioned Chianti with the local police representative. Who is likely to be the landlord's second cousin and anyhoo... salute!

-----

Saying "this year's tax will be the next year's old news" or "it can all be discussed over a glass of wine" or again "who's likely to be landlords' second cousing" IS offensive.

Moreover it's a general sentence like saying "everyone in UK are cold people" which i don't think.

I know we as italians are well known all other the world for mafia or for issues like taxes not paid regularly but every country has its own problems and it's offensive to make all-purpose sentences like the ones above. 

I'm not usually one to tell others what's offensive- I leave that to others- and I'm loth to take offence, but what almost certainly is offensive to many of us is harping on about something when you've had an apology.

Sorry if there's a language barrier here, but... please drop it.

4 hours ago, KODAKovic said:

-----

KODAKovic, please, it seems to me like you are reading things into this that I neither said nor meant. As is often the case, things can literally get lots in translation. I have been all over Italy many times, Italy is a beautiful country with warm and friendly people. The tax comment was a light hearted follow-on from the a previous post, because it was mentioned that Positano was raising this particular levy as a tax on photographers. My comments had nothing to do with what taxes Italians might pay or not pay. And I definitely didn't mention or allude to the 'Mafia' anywhere.My experience with Italian authorities at local level, as I mentioned, has been that they tend to often make a lot of noise about things, but are then quite easily persuaded otherwise if one has a friendly chat. Over a Chianti or xyz other methaphorical method of coming together and finding a solution that may work for everyone.

We all encounter stereotypes around our culture, heritage or country we were born all the time. Please accept my apology if you feel offended, but I believe you misunderstood my comments. I sincerely hope we can move on from this now and get back to...photos!!! 

Archived