At an airshow recently I got a shot of an Antonov An-30, a cargo plane with an old-fashioned glass nose. Could have been this very aircraft:

antonov-an-30-nato-reporting-name-clank-

My shot is a close-up from the nose from directly ahead. The aircraft was open to the public at the time and what I did not realise as I took my shot was that a boy had sat down in the nose seat. It takes you a moment to realise he's there, but his face is clearly visible through the central window. I got another shot from the same angle with the seat empty, but the shot with the boy in it has more impact: he provides a focal point that is missing in the other shot.

I don't normally do people shots so I'm not very familiar with the ethics. My understanding is (correct me if I'm wrong) that you can take photos of people without their consent, provided that they are for editorial use only. But does this apply to children, or are the rules different where minors are concerned?

11 hours ago, imageplotter said:

Wonder what it would be like to fly in a plane with a glass nose - must be an interesting point of view.

If it's anything like the glass floor in the Blackpool Tower, absolutely terrifying!  It takes a while to realise you're not going to plummet to your death, I guess it's worse in an aircraft with a nose like that because you're moving.

18 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

If it's anything like the glass floor in the Blackpool Tower, absolutely terrifying!  It takes a while to realise you're not going to plummet to your death, I guess it's worse in an aircraft with a nose like that because you're moving.

I quite enjoy that sort of thing. Guess a bit similar to the Toronto Tower/Grand Canyon West Rim glass walkway, only moving. :)  Whopeeee! (as long as it doesn't go into a free dive)

Thanks for the replies. Sets my mind at rest.

Incidentally, the photo I posted isn't mine. It's by Yurii Zushchyk. I wanted to illustrate the aircraft type but I don't have any of my own shots of it online yet.

Yes it would be interesting sitting in that nose when the plane is airborne ... but I agree, not if it's in a dive!

There are no different rules for kids.  Editorial only, so RM or RF Editorial.

That's true in the UK, but other countries (e.g. France) have different rules. Best to check locally before submitting to Alamy.

On 9/26/2017 at 14:02, Russell said:

That's true in the UK, but other countries (e.g. France) have different rules. Best to check locally before submitting to Alamy.

Yes..taking photos of children in Spain without permission  is a real no-no!

Always worth quickly checking if you are travelling to see if there are any obvious dos or don'ts.

Yes..taking photos of children in Spain without permission  is a real no-no!

Always worth quickly checking if you are travelling to see if there are any obvious dos or don'ts.

I was super careful when in Dubai to take pics of even the local women (supposedly you can get arrested if they complain).

Nevertheless, I still managed to capture one great shot of this kid!

a-little-boy-stares-in-amazement-at-a-camel-riding-on-marina-beach-J7Y3EE.jpg

Archived