Cloning out people and logos to license commercially

Hey all,

Is there any merit in removing people and cloning out trademarks so images can be licensed on here commercially?

I would think yes because commercial images have less restrictions but can you think of any situations of when clients would prefer identifiable places and people in the image? 

Does it's make sense to upload two versions of the same image - one with identifiable people and places (editorial) and another without (commercial)?

thanks 

Nut

1 hour ago, Brasilnut said:

Hey all,

(1) Is there any merit in removing people and cloning out trademarks so images can be licensed on here commercially?

(2) I would think yes because commercial images have less restrictions but can you think of any situations of when clients would prefer identifiable places and people in the image? 

(also 2) Does it's make sense to upload two versions of the same image - one with identifiable people and places (editorial) and another without (commercial)?

thanks 

Nut

1) Yes...if you believe that there is potential commercial use enough warranting your time in PS. I wouldn't clone out people and logos from Piccadilly Circus or Time Square, but within reason. A beautiful beach, landscape, cityscape but you got people, signs, litter, advertising - creative freedom, be gone!

2) It depends on the image, I can't say for sure when it comes to "places", but definitely for people orientated, their clothing, accessories etc. badaboom logos be gone. They are being used for both editorial and commercial use, so no doubt that I'm doing the right thing. I very rarely upload two different versions (cloned/uncloned). I do make use of the additional info field to disclose edits when I feel it is needed to clarify (and also if taken from public land).

MRs are worth it - use yourself, friends, family - all cheap.

6 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

MRs are worth it - use yourself, friends, family - all cheap.

I charge myself thousands of pounds for a MR.. so much so that I'm almost broke now..  :D

OP: I agree with Martin. With logos on clothing, I will almost always try and clone them out if it's a quick and easy job and there's no other elements in the picture that would stop me selling the image commercially. With regards to trying to hide the identification of a place... I think it depends on the place... editorial sales would likely want the place to be identifiable.

Are such subjects wanted for commercial purposes anyway?

I've only had 1 license on here commercially out of 17 editorial. Silly question but I'll ask anyway:

Are there many buyers on here who purchase commercial images or is Alamy predominately editorial-based? Of the spotted images thread it seems like 90% are editorials. 

Nut

Below: poor cows...

Electric wire with sign saying 'stop' - Stock Image

8 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

I've only had 1 license on here commercially out of 17 editorial. Silly question but I'll ask anyway:

Are there many buyers on here who purchase commercial images or is Alamy predominately editorial-based? Of the spotted images thread it seems like 90% are editorials. 

Alamy's sales are predominantly editorial but I get the sense that this is something that they are trying to address. Perhaps the new man at the top will be trying to change this!

I have had a few commercial sales and a few RF sales where the usage isn't specified... but the majority of my sales are editorial.. but then I predominantly take editorial pictures so that's no real surprise.

I suspect that Editorial images are easier to spot and report on. Newspapers will often credit Alamy if not the photographer making these images easy to report. Pictures on packaging of products rarely say who took the photo. :-) So this might partly explain why images in the 'spotted' threads tend to editoiral images.

8 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Nut

Most of the people who inhabit the forums are predominantly editorial shooters.

Also the spotted images thread IIRC was started to alert people to uses in case they weren't reported, e.g. in the UKNS. So mostly people are checking in newspapers and/or newspaper websites.

There are people on Alamy who are contributing only commercial material, but they seldom visit the forums.

Conclusion: I don't think we can draw any conclusion based on the reports of the few who inhabit the forums.

18 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

Hey all,

Is there any merit in removing people and cloning out trademarks so images can be licensed on here commercially?

A small point, but surely property is still property, trademark or not?

8 minutes ago, Avpics said:

A small point, but surely property is still property, trademark or not?

I guess it depends if it can be identified by it's design or style. A car is almost certainly identifiable whether you clone out the manufacturer's badge or not. A plain white t-shirt with a Nike logo on the chest, just becomes a plain white t-shirt when you clone out the Nike logo.

Archived