<obligatory "I'm new to this" statement goes here>

Can one have too many tags on a submission? I look at the top results for butterfly, for example, and I see maybe 10 tags for the image. I've got a picture of a butterfly and I'm racking my brain to find words to describe the silly thing. I've got some good words in there like the common name and the scientific name of the butterfly. Do I need to cool it and not try to hit my 50 tag limit?

On 25/08/2017 at 20:42, Chris2061 said:

<obligatory "I'm new to this" statement goes here>

Can one have too many tags on a submission? I look at the top results for butterfly, for example, and I see maybe 10 tags for the image. I've got a picture of a butterfly and I'm racking my brain to find words to describe the silly thing. I've got some good words in there like the common name and the scientific name of the butterfly. Do I need to cool it and not try to hit my 50 tag limit?

Don't bother to try and hit 50 tags.

Just tag the image with as many tags as you think fit. If that's only 10 or so then go with that amount.

John.

It's positively advantageous to stay under so that you can batch add in the future because the new AIM doesn't enable you to determine which images in a batch are over-tagged.

Legacy images with more than 50 carried-over tags are still, after 9 months, practically uneditable. It's most annoying.

8 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Trying to hit the magic 50 only leads to adding poor tags which will ultimately lower your rank IMHO. I only have one image with 50 tags. But then again tagging is not a strong point for me. :rolleyes:

I agree, but that Green Bar is so enticing I've found myself trying to come up with a few more tags... Not the best way to spend one's time :D

26 minutes ago, Chris2061 said:

So can too many tags hurt? I think most of mine are pretty relevant but a couple might be a bit of a streatch.

No not really, it's not the number it's if the tags are relevant to the image that matters.

Looking at your image K0N905 "Green forest path" I see only 4 tags/keywords. This image can benefit from more descriptive tags/keywords.

Start with descriptive tags/keywords such as; green, verdant, trees, tree, plants, "location", outside, daylight, overcast, leaves...

Then add tags for mood/feelings and abstract ideals such as; exploring, lost, route, lonely, navigation, direction...

I'm not a tags/keywords expert and I'm sure other members of the forum can come up with more/better tags for you to consider.

16 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

No not really, it's not the number it's if the tags are relevant to the image that matters.

Looking at your image K0N905 "Green forest path" I see only 4 tags/keywords. This image can benefit from more descriptive tags/keywords.

Start with descriptive tags/keywords such as; green, verdant, trees, tree, plants, "location", outside, daylight, overcast, leaves...

Then add tags for mood/feelings and abstract ideals such as; exploring, lost, route, lonely, navigation, direction...

I'm not a tags/keywords expert and I'm sure other members of the forum can come up with more/better tags for you to consider.

When I add keywords  always try to put myself in the shoes of the searching customers and ask myself, if they found this image using this keyword, would they be happy or irritated? While I understand that a forest green path might evoke abstract concepts such as 'lonely' or 'navigation', the chances are that someone searching for 'navigation' is actually looking for something concerning maps and nautical instruments. Someone looking for 'lonely' is much more likely to be after a lone person than a forest path. In the long run, using keywords which are peripheral to the main subject of the image seems likely to produce many more false positives than it is to produce the serendipity of an unexpected sale, and those false positives will eventually drive downwards ones rank in the search results. Using phrases such as 'lonely path' may be better in that it will produce fewer false positives and may still catch that serendipitous sale we all hope for.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to Alamy and haven't made any sales yet (:D) so I have no idea how successful my tagging is, but one thing I found helps is:

First I tag with as many words/phrases I can think of using similar ideas as the ones already mentioned.

Then I look at other similar images online (on alamy and other stock sites) and see if there are any 'good' tags I missed

Finally, depending on the subject, I also search on Wikipedia/other relevant site to see if there are key words that I may not have thought of.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Archived