1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Punctuation is ignored in search.

For now. In the past it wasn't, then it was. Accents were ignored, then they weren't, then ignored again, then re-instated. You get my drift.

I do not take anything for granted and tag with both.

Gen

16 hours ago, gvallee said:

For now. In the past it wasn't, then it was. Accents were ignored, then they weren't, then ignored again, then re-instated. You get my drift.

I do not take anything for granted and tag with both.

Gen

I think this is good advice.. just because the search engine does or doesn't work a certain way now doesn't mean that it will work the same way in 12 months time. So there's no harm in covering your bases and putting in all variations, with and without a hyphen (or other punctuation).

I looked at one of my images in the image manager today and discovered quite a mess. I think it was keyworded under the old system and some words were put together with hyphens when they were meant to be phrases. I didn't want to get into redoing the whole thing because there were more than 50 tags and it was going to be a big job. I finally just deleted one that was in as KenyaAfrica. I'm sure I didn't put it that way. I'm wondering if I should go back and look at that whole submission.

Paulette

I searched a German website the other day and found that the hyphenation tag was counter productive as they call it "minus". So, a hyphenated search might mean XXX minus YYY in Germany. 

Confused yet. Yes, I am. 

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I looked at one of my images in the image manager today and discovered quite a mess. I think it was keyworded under the old system and some words were put together with hyphens when they were meant to be phrases. I didn't want to get into redoing the whole thing because there were more than 50 tags and it was going to be a big job. I finally just deleted one that was in as KenyaAfrica. I'm sure I didn't put it that way. I'm wondering if I should go back and look at that whole submission.

Paulette

Yes, it is a huge pain. When I'm doing my legacy images and see what you're describing, I do fix those. First looking for and deleting duplicates. If there's still too many, I might delete a few plurals. Then combining necessary tags into phrases. You can do that in the add tag slot, but make sure the single tags you're getting ready to delete are inputted first and covered in a phrase in the tag box..

Delete the singles, then save.  Little by little, get below 50 enough before adding the phrases in the tag box. If you don't save before adding the phrases, sometimes the system erroneously says you're over 50 when you're not, and you lose your phrases. If I'm adding three phrases, I like to delete enough singles to get to 46...giving myself a one tag cushion before adding the 3 phrases.

Betty

Archived