Photos in queue waiting QC approval

Dear Peeps at Alamy,

Just an idea but wouldn't it be useful to be able to keyword photos in the QC approval queue? It might be wasted effort, if they eventually failed QC, but think of the potential time saved in being able to keyword photos while they sit in purgatory.  What do people think?

43 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I am quite happy to keyword (tag) in LR.

Allan

Hi Allan, Yes, that makes sense but I find it a bit of a fiddle. Probably just need to get used to it.

39 minutes ago, arterra said:

I think most contributors caption / keyword on beforehand in Bridge or Lightroom. That is by far the smartest and most practical workflow. What are you going to do if you decide to offer your port also to another agency? Keyword every image all over again? :huh: 

Tip for the top:

1. Edit images
  2. Add captions and tags
  3. Save as Tiffs on two separate harddisks
  4. Send duplicate Jpegs to agency(ies)

Cheers,

Philippe

Cheers Philippe, Very useful. Saving on one hard disk at the moment but know I should be backing up to two! :-)

My story...I had one copy saved on one hard disk. That hard disk failed. I spent $100 to a company to recover them and put them on another disk. It was mostly successful, but I lost some. And I never knew which images were lost. Were some of them my best?

I immediately bought a second disk and backed everything up on it. 

Run, don't walk, to the shop and buy that second drive. Then back your images up on it immediately.

Betty

1 hour ago, arterra said:

Saving on one harddisk is recipe for disaster. Question is not IF the harddisk will fail. Question is WHEN will it fail -_-

I save 

• RAWs on two disks
  • edited and tagged Tiffs on two disks
  • yep - call me a maniac - but I even save the Jpegs on two harddisks :wacko:

So, that makes in fact 6 copies :blink:

... oh, and I even save the 72 dpi / 1000 pixels longest side versions on two disks.

Oh boy, now I really realize I AM a maniac :o

Cheers,

Philippe

DITTO or SNAP. :D

Allan

Just now, arterra said:

I don't know what "ditto" or "snap" mean but hey :lol:LOL:lol:

Cheers,

Philippe :D

Means I do the same as you do in your post above.:rolleyes:

Allan

Just now, arterra said:

Ah, so you're also a copy-nerd -_-

Cheers,

Philippe :P

Ah, So. That's Chinese I believe.:P

Allan

I may get the prize. I also have a bootable copy of my Mac on a portable hard drive and another one with a copy of my raw images in a safe deposit box at the bank. I update them every month or two. I know I will never get back to some of the places I've been and wouldn't see the same animals if I did. 

Paulette

1 hour ago, arterra said:

You didn't try the freezer trick:huh:

Though you should read this also :unsure:

Cheers,

Philippe

Never heard of that, Philippe.  This happened not that long after entering the world of stock. I think I posted about it, not sure, but believe I was told there were companies that could possibly recover the images.  I found a place in my city and did the deed, because they were the only ones in town that could do it.  

The stress of believing I'd lost all of my work was...immense.

Betty

What's just as important is how you keep your backups "in sync". Be careful that an accidental deletion of an image or folder on your master PC doesn't propagate itself throughout all your backups.

I remember once watching my contacts on my PC "deleting themselves" one by one because I'd reset the contacts list on my phone. Automatic synch has it's advantages, but also some vulnerabilities.:unsure:

I use GoodSynch software which provides a measure of control over how the propagation of deleted files are handled, but I still feel vulnerable to this "loophole".

I stopped syncbaby when I saw this happening and I haven't turned it back on. taskeng dutifully appears every so often in a DOS box, to a back up schedule I set myself, but it's just as well it does nothing as I can't remember how to reset it.

It's no great hardship to backup manually a couple of times a month.

8 minutes ago, arterra said:

Why do you guys make it so complicated? :wacko: 

Cheers,

Philippe

What's complicated? Every hour my work is automatically backed up to another disk in a safe location in different building. I just need to be careful about propagation of deleted files.

6 minutes ago, arterra said:

Aha, well there's your problem -_- 

Cheers,

Philippe

Indeed - That's why I use Goodsynch which includes a "safety net" to automatically catch the deletions. So I hope it won't be a problem if I do ever delete a folder accidentally :unsure:.

4 hours ago, Jansos said:

Hi Allan, Yes, that makes sense but I find it a bit of a fiddle. Probably just need to get used to it.

Back to the OP and sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Keywording (tagging) in LR is simple. I enter mine as I go along or in small batches.

As Philippe says add the image caption where it says "Caption" in "Library" page. It is under "Title". Do not enter your caption in "Title" as Alamy will not see it.

Higher up left column is place to ad Keywords (tags).

Sorry if I'm on a case of "Teaching granny to suck eggs" but thought it might help.

Allan

3 hours ago, arterra said:

I'm an adept of the KISS principle.

At the end of the day, I copy the finished files to an external harddisk (>>>> new data on computer + copy on external harddisk)

When whole batch is finished, which is stored on computer + external harddisk >>>> move finished batch from computer to second harddisk >>>>> same files on two external harddisks.

No fiddling with synch software for me -_- Neat and well-arranged. Works like a charm ;)

Why do you guys make it so complicated? :wacko: We're not women, are we? .................................... hiding under the bed. Scared of Hurricane Betty and Paulette aka"The Jaguar" :ph34r:

Cheers,

Philippe

The Hurricane does it exactly like you, Philippe. So there!!!

Actually, I live in tornado alley, far away from hurricanes.

On 2017-6-19 at 17:39, Allan Bell said:

Back to the OP and sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Keywording (tagging) in LR is simple. I enter mine as I go along or in small batches.

As Philippe says add the image caption where it says "Caption" in "Library" page. It is under "Title". Do not enter your caption in "Title" as Alamy will not see it.

Higher up left column is place to ad Keywords (tags).

Sorry if I'm on a case of "Teaching granny to suck eggs" but thought it might help.

Allan

Cheers Alan - will revisit when I have the time and temperament to do so. :-)

Archived