Sony RX100 Mk 3 in camera jpegs and sweep panoramas

A couple of questions.

• I always shoot in RAW + JPEG and process the raws to produce jpegs for Alamy. But.. I'm impressed with the quality of the in camera jpegs produced by the RX100 and can't see why many of them wouldn't meet Alamy QC standards without further processing. Are any other RX100 owners submitting in camera jpegs directly to Alamy?

• I've tried the RX100 sweep panorama mode. The resulting jpegs look like they could meet Alamy QC standards, apart from a serious issue I can't seem to avoid. If the scene contains small detail, (foliage, pebbles etc.) the stitched images show weird localised sections (usually towards the lower edge of the stitched image in horizontal panoramas) where features appear repeated multiple times almost like "ripples". There's  a 100% crop of an affected area below. I've tried different panning techniques, and camera rotation points but haven't been able to avoid the problem. Is this just a limitation of the RX100 or am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else successfully submitting in camera sweep panoramas from the RX100, or should I stick with using LR and/or PS for this?

Screen_Shot_2017-05-10_at_20.40.58.png

Thanks in advance

Mark

I don't know about panoramas but when the RX100 first came out David Kilpatrick was still on the forum and he was very impressed with the jpegs. I mostly submit my "big camera" images to Alamy but now and then I send the ones from my RX100 and I think I probably just send the jpegs most of the time.

Paulette

Can't speak for the RX100, but I've submitted in-camera sweep panoramas taken with the Sony NEX-6 (similar technology, I imagine) and have had no problems passing QC.

I do occasionally see repeated features like the ones you mentioned, especially in low light. Not sure how to avoid them.

Just to clarify my above comment, I wouldn't send a straight ooc jpeg to anyone unless it was for live news and even then I wouldn't be entirely happy. When I first acquired the rx100 2 I tried shooting raw+jpeg and soon went back to raw only.

I don't know if rx100 jpegs will pass Alamy QC but they don't pass mine. Can't comment on the panos as never used that facility

I quite agree.

Worse in low light.

Yikes! Joe and Niels have read my mind! 

If needed or an obsession with me, I do a lot of PP, and I don't want to be doing that on an in-camera jpeg. If I were shooting quick-as-a-flash Live News, I would shoot jpegs and do no editing. 

I have both Rx100 and Canon EOS 6D & have submitted images that passed QC with both.  I did some tests and when there is plenty of light,  Rx100 quality comes pretty close.  It starts suffering in lower light;  even shooting in program mode with lowest possible ISO still produces lots of grain. Corners also get soft.  Obviously,  sensor size is important factor.  As for panos ("sweep shooting") -- quality is simply not good enough;  I never even tried submitting as it didn't pass my QA.   It is very convenient though. 

Here's example of image taken few weeks ago in Utah with Rx100:

navajo-knobs-dual-rock-formation-capitol

Mid-afternoon, and lots of light -- I had both 6D and Rx100 on me for this one, but out of dozen or so pics this one actually turned the best. 

My impression is that Rx100 is excellent little camera best suited for outdoor enthusiasts, when space is premium (i.e. multi-day backpack);  but for more serious photography SLR is still SLR.

I don't know if rx100 jpegs will pass Alamy QC but they don't pass mine. Can't comment on the panos as never used that facility

I quite agree.

Worse in low light.

Goodness - I'm surprised. If I keep the RX100 ISO low, avoid shooting wide open and shoot RAW + 10MP jpeg then, providing the exposure is good, and I don't need to lift the shadows etc. my feeling is the jpegs should be fine for Alamy QC. In fact I've struggled to achieve noticeably better results (sharpness, noise and detail) by processing the RAW files in LR + PS. Are they as good as the images from an APSC or full frame DSLR? No they aren't, but that wasn't my question. Others seem to rave about the RX100's low light capability...

What did you find worse in low light? The noise (perhaps because the ISO has been increased?) and/or the softness, because the aperture has been opened right up?

As for panos ("sweep shooting") -- quality is simply not good enough; I never even tried submitting as it didn't pass my QA. It is very convenient though.

I'm also coming to the conclusion that the sweep panoramic function is fine small prints or web use, but unreliable for anything more demanding, including Alamy QC. I downloaded some of the full size jpgs of panoramas that others have shot (and rave about) with the RX100, and many of them contain the same stitching ripples I'm seeing. The RX100 manual states the following;

The following situations are not suited for shooting Sweep Panorama:

• Subjects that are too close to the product.
  • Subjects with continuously similar patterns, such as the sky, beach, or a lawn.
I have to say the manual is right! I've had problems with stitching "ripples" in pebbles on the beach (as in my original posting), and in clumps of grass in the foreground, as well as in branches on distant trees. I'll stick to shooting multiple RAWs combined in LR for my panoramas. The RX100 sweep panorama is fast, but it's not reliable enough for Alamy.

I quite agree.

Worse in low light.

What did you find worse in low light? The noise (perhaps because the ISO has been increased?) and/or the softness, because the aperture has been opened right up?

It is a long time since I gave up even looking at the JPG images - I go directly to the RAW files. What I remember as the worst is a really rounded, plasticky look probably due to the automatic, excessive noise reduction when the ISO gets up to where I'd prefer it for some images. I know that the night shot setting keeps a really low ISO setting, but that is not always a preferred setting due to the long exposure times. I can do a better noise reduction myself.

But generally I can see that my Canon 5D does a better job in most situations, so I am only using the RX100-3 when it is the most suitable camera in the situation - and it is a good camera to bring for unexpected images.

Softness and reduced depth of field due to aperture hasn't been a problem.

Example of an RX100-3 image where I definitely needed to do my own editing, and the ISO had to go up,

but where I on the other hand like the camera:

copenhagen-denmark-15th-november-2015-th

As example, this is pano I took with Rx100 few months ago  (won't let me insert image directly into text as it is not hosted on Alamy)

Looks pretty good, doesn't it?  Only until you zoom;  even at 50% things show up; in particular upper right and left corners.  I was quite angry I didn't have SLR on me, because you don't run into such great sunset sky every day

I always shoot in RAW with my RX100 M3 .  Even panoramas are taken in RAW as individual shots and then converted to JPEG and stitched in the panorama function in PS.  

I haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned on this thread by shooting this way.  

John

Archived