Help me understanding QC

The only problem i can see with my photos is that i using automatic mode, purely because i take photo's on the move, and "setting" the shot isn't always possible. Is Alamy so harsh with QC that i can only take pictures of apples in a table ? 

Auto mode can be useful, but often a lot depends on the camera you are using.

I use the auto mode often on my Sony RX-100, but not always.  sometimes it goes for too slow of a shutter speed and I end up with camera shake.  Never use the auto on my Canon.  Unless I am out in ideal conditions, it tends to pick too low of an ISO.  And quite often, aperture is more important than shutter speed and other times its the other way around.  Or you really need that high ISO.

Jill

Do you mean literally 'on the move' so that you are actually in motion when trying to take pictures - in which case you and most other photogs would find life difficult.

Or do you just mean you are out and about in town and/or countryside? In which case, join the club with just about everybody else here at Alamy.

You don't need to limit yourself to auto mode. Like me, many here will work with their camera in Aperture mode at f8 at the outset, adjusting settings from there as conditions and photograph types dictate. Once you have spent time learning how your camera works and have practised quite a lot so that the adjustments become second nature, you will find being on the move is not so much a problem.

edit to add

Alamy is not 'harsh' with its QC but it does expect photos shot to a professional standard and it expects its contributors to maintain that standard even after initial acceptance when they are no longer holding your hand and checking every image you submit. From that point of view prospective contributors should think twice before embarking here if their knowledge and experience of photography still has some way to go.

Shooting in auto most of the time could possibly mean your not understanding how to set aperture and shutter speed for the particular subject you're shooting. I'm not saying that's true of you, but if it is, it's imperative you take a step back and learn your camera. It really only takes a few seconds to change those settings.

As Jill and Joseph pointed out, there are different requirements for different scenarios.

Shooting stock for Alamy requires us to be on top of our game, and understanding basic concepts of how to set aperture and shutter speed is of prime importance. The histogram is your best friend. Make sure it is available for you to see while setting up the shot, and aim for the right side to be close to the edge. That is your whites. Don't blow them.

Betty

Brilliant feedback, i think i understand a bit better where i going wrong, is indeed a new camera and i still learning about it. I guess i just being lazy with the auto mode.

Thanks for the feedback.

Here is some information that may help you and others that are having trouble passing QC. For taking sharper photos, http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/17-tips-for-taking-tack-sharp-photos Chromatic Aberration, https://photographylife.com/what-is-chromatic-aberration/ Try again http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/17-tips-for-taking-tack-sharp-photos

Here is some information that may help you and others that are having trouble passing QC.  For taking sharper photos, http://www.photographymad.com/pages/view/17-tips-for-taking-tack-sharp-photos   Chromatic Aberration, https://photographylife.com/what-is-chromatic-aberration/

That first link doesn't seem to work (for me, anyway).

I found this article on understanding autofocus very useful.

Reading all that articles, by the way i never said i'm a professional photographer, more of an amateur photographer that takes photos as a hobby. I found that the best way to learn is by getting involve with real pro's, and trial and error.  

As Philippe said, you don't have to be a professional, but you are competing against professionals in a professional market.

I am not a pro.  Photography is a hobby, but I understand how my cameras work and what settings are the best for certain types of shots.

I have a series of flyboarding shots.  Could never have used auto mode as shutter speed was the utmost priority for that type of photography.  If shooting something static in decent light, you don't need a 2000/sec shutter speed ending up with an f2 aperture.

For quick shots doing street shooting, auto mode can be useful on a decent day as long as it is a decent camera and has sensors for movement, etc.

What camera are you using?

Jill

Archived