Searching for images online

When I want to find where my images are online I use a handy little "bookmarklet".... ? src - img. (I couldn't put in the upside down question mark that it also contains). It is now not working on Alamy though it works on Fine Art America and on some of my images on a small website I have. I don't have much understanding about these things so maybe someone has insight as to what is happening. Something to do with our relationship with Google search? What is happening here?

Paulette

Is there a message popping up with: I couldn't find any images ;( ?

Then usually the images are too small, like in the Summary of items sold.

On the zoom page; the pseudonym summary or in a lightbox, it is still working fine in Firefox.

wim

Thanks Wim. No message. The question marks were not appearing. I use Safari. I'll check when I get home to see if it is working for me now.

Paulette

Hi Paulette,

That's the same image search tool I use, and have just checked it against my Alamy images and it seems to be working fine.

Rob.

Personally, in Chrome, I just right-click on an image and select the 'Search Google for Image' option on the menu that pops up. I don't think I installed any extensions... rather assumed that it was built into Chrome.. given as Chrome is a Google product and all...

I'm still having the problem. Also have it with a new link. (Thanks, Wim.) The odd thing is that if I go to Fine Art America the question marks come up instantly and all works well with my original link. Anybody using Safari still finding it works on Alamy?

Paulette

When I want to find where my images are online I use a handy little "bookmarklet".... ? src - img. (I couldn't put in the upside down question mark that it also contains). It is now not working on Alamy though it works on Fine Art America and on some of my images on a small website I have. I don't have much understanding about these things so maybe someone has insight as to what is happening. Something to do with our relationship with Google search? What is happening here?

Paulette

What is a bookmarklet? How does it work?

Paulette

wiki

wim

Paulette

wiki

wim

thanks Wim

• 3 months later...

This thread has been useful as I previously didn't know how to see my images that have appeared in searches or that I could right click and choose 'search Google for this image'. One image that recently appeared in the Guardian also appears in two twitter feeds and on one Arabic website, without the credit that appeared in The Guardian. I presume therefore that anyone can copy and use the image once it's published?

A few days later I noticed the image had appeared on another website (Avaxnews) with the appropriate credit. Does this mean it has sold again, or has it simply been pinched from the Guardian?

This is only my second sale so I am still new to all of this!

Photo is J78MRB

This thread has been useful as I previously didn't know how to see my images that have appeared in searches or that I could right click and choose 'search Google for this image'. One image that recently appeared in the Guardian also appears in two twitter feeds and on one Arabic website, without the credit that appeared in The Guardian. I presume therefore that anyone can copy and use the image once it's published?

A few days later I noticed the image had appeared on another website with the appropriate credit. Does this mean it has sold again, or has it simply been pinched from the Guardian?

Photo is J78MRB

It looks like your lovely Puffin image has been copied rather a lot. I get 6 pages of hits from a Google reverse image search. I suspect it was published in the Guardian first and then copied from there by the others. You should get paid for the Guardian usage but you'll probably have to wait 1-3 months before you'll see it appear in your Alamy sales report. I wouldn't expect payment via Alamy for most of the other uses as they appear to be a combination of tweets and retweets and news scraper sites. It might be possible to get payments for copyright infringement where the website republishing the image is clearly a commercial venture, but it's not easy. You could try alerting Alamy, or uploading your image to Pixsy to see what they make of it.

Others here may be able to give you better advice. I've had this happen several times (image published on-line by a newspaper is then copied by others). But have, so far, been unsuccessful in getting compensation as the re-publications were deemed (by Pixsy) to be either non-commercial or outside the territories where they have legal representation and so not worth pursuing.

A few days later I noticed the image had appeared on another website with the appropriate credit. Does this mean it has sold again, or has it simply been pinched from the Guardian?

Photo is J78MRB

It looks like your lovely Puffin image has been copied rather a lot. I get 6 pages of hits from a Google reverse image search. I suspect it was published in the Guardian first and then copied from there by the others. You should get paid for the Guardian usage but you'll probably have to wait 1-3 months before you'll see it appear in your Alamy sales report. I wouldn't expect payment via Alamy for most of the other uses as they appear to be a combination of tweets and retweets and news scraper sites. It might be possible to get payments for copyright infringement where the website republishing the image is clearly a commercial venture, but it's not easy. You could try alerting Alamy, or uploading your image to Pixsy to see what they make of it.

Others here may be able to give you better advice. I've had this happen several times (image published on-line by a newspaper is then copied by others). But have, so far, been unsuccessful in getting compensation as the re-publications were deemed (by Pixsy) to be either non-commercial or outside the territories where they have legal representation and so not worth pursuing.

Many thanks for that information. I didn't know about Pixsy. May try Alamy first.

Archived