I was interested in contributing to alamy

I find the selection process strange. :(  I uploaded 3 test photos only to have them rejected. OK, one of them was my fault as it was an experimental image and was rejected due to over manipulation. I accept that, however, the other 2 were rejected due to being "soft or lacking definition" The portrait was intentionally soft as I wanted to capture my model in a "dreamy" state. The other, rafting on the Isar Canal, I just don*t understand the rejection at all.

I am a contributor to Getty as well as Adobe. It puzzles me that when Getty and Adobe accept my images why should they be rejected by alamy? I view Getty as the benchmark.

I am not afraid of criticism where it is warranted, indeed it helps in improving my work, but the rejection of the remaining 2 images more than puzzles me.

You have to remember that Alamy does not edit for content, only technical.  So a dreamy picture will be soft in their eyes.  Especially for a new contributor that has no history.

As stated, make your initial submission straight forward. 

Jill

I find the selection process strange. :(  I uploaded 3 test photos only to have them rejected. OK, one of them was my fault as it was an experimental image and was rejected due to over manipulation. I accept that, however, the other 2 were rejected due to being "soft or lacking definition" The portrait was intentionally soft as I wanted to capture my model in a "dreamy" state. The other, rafting on the Isar Canal, I just don*t understand the rejection at all.

I am a contributor to Getty as well as Adobe. It puzzles me that when Getty and Adobe accept my images why should they be rejected by alamy? I view Getty as the benchmark.

I am not afraid of criticism where it is warranted, indeed it helps in improving my work, but the rejection of the remaining 2 images more than puzzles me.

Since you have no images showing, no criticism is possible.

Regarding "soft or lacking definition." It might mean exactly that. I think it is also a catch phrase QC (Quality Control) sometimes uses. It would be good for you to understand that Alamy is a stock photo agency, not a fine art gallery. Spend some time looking at other contributors' collections and read what Alamy says about submitting.

Good luck. 

Hi,

Don't take it personally, it is just a technical issue. We have all been there and experienced the same thing. Can be disheartening but once you know the reason why it is quite straightforward to get your images through QC. Good luck.

Most of my Alamy sales have been either editorial, or to text books, and those require mostly simple, clear, well exposed images.  I've put a few cool looking B&W images in and none have sold, although the colour versions of those images have.

Most of my Alamy sales have been either editorial, or to text books, and those require mostly simple, clear, well exposed images.  I've put a few cool looking B&W images in and none have sold, although the colour versions of those images have.

Great work and collection of images David! 

Had to bookmark your site for inspiration

But also good to know about Editorial seems to be the best selling on Alamy - New here as well as to stock photography. 

* Sorry to step off the OP Topic ...

DAStagg, 

I agree with others here - the 1st 3 images is just technical checks, upload 3 more, and give Alamy a try for a bit, I am new so I cannot comment like the vet's here, but I am a crash course learner, I too am on Getty, well iStock / ShutterStock / BigStock and Adobe Stock - as I learn about them, seems they all have a different best case client base and each one seems to attract certain styles of stock images that sell ... 

Anyway - All the best!

ModernPics, on 28 Feb 2017 - 02:07 AM, said:

David_Buzzard, on 26 Feb 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

Most of my Alamy sales have been either editorial, or to text books, and those require mostly simple, clear, well exposed images. I've put a few cool looking B&W images in and none have sold, although the colour versions of those images have.

DAStagg,

I agree with others here - the 1st 3 images is just technical checks, upload 3 more, and give Alamy a try for a bit, I am new so I cannot comment like the vet's here, but I am a crash course learner, I too am on Getty, well iStock / ShutterStock / BigStock and Adobe Stock - as I learn about them, seems they all have a different best case client base and each one seems to attract certain styles of stock images that sell ...

Anyway - All the best!

No just the first three, all images are checked for technical only, they do not edit for conent at all.

Jill

Archived