Is this goodbye to Lonely Planet?

Articles in the Guardian online about serious job cuts at the publishers of Lonely Planet:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/19/lonely-planet-staff-job-losses

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/22/lonely-planet-melbourne-staff

Although I have only sold a couple of images in Lonely Planet guides, I am a frequest Rough Guide/Lonely Planet user so this seems very depressing from both a business and travelling point of view.  What do others think of this?

Maurice

Back in the seventies, Tony Wheeler's book "Asia on the cheap" and "South East Asia on a shoestring" were such handy guides to budget travelling in Asia, of which I was one of many.  I guess these days, apps are downloaded to iPhones/iPads.  That's progress I guess.

Sheila

• 2 months later...

Where do you manage to find information about changes in ownership and management?  The Lonely Planet web site seems to be silent on these topics.  I guess I'll go and see if Getty has any announcements.

Regards

Lionel

Where do you manage to find information about changes in ownership and management?  The Lonely Planet web site seems to be silent on these topics.  I guess I'll go and see if Getty has any announcements.

Regards

Lionel

A very straightforward search will lead to this Getty page, where they say "Lonely Planet Images is now exclusively managed by Getty Images"

If you look at any large bookshop, Lonely Planet is still a dominant travel guide publisher. They also have plenty of new titles still coming out. They've downsized but still going strong. Digital publishing is now a big part of their business. Not sure where the presumptions of doom are coming from.

If you look at any large bookshop, Lonely Planet is still a dominant travel guide publisher. They also have plenty of new titles still coming out. They've downsized but still going strong. Digital publishing is now a big part of their business. Not sure where the presumptions of doom are coming from.

. . . and they still pay very well for front covers :-)

dd

Two points.

• As you say "Digital publishing is now a big part of their business".  This will inevitably result in a lowering of the fees that they are willing to pay, as they don't expect to either produce or sell so many printed books as previously and (IMHO), will up their dependence and willingness to rely on crowd-sourcing for their images.
  • "...presumptions of doom..." come from many quarters.  Example from Forbes.

Back in the seventies, Tony Wheeler's book "Asia on the cheap" and "South East Asia on a shoestring" were such handy guides to budget travelling in Asia, of which I was one of many.  I guess these days, apps are downloaded to iPhones/iPads.  That's progress I guess.

Sheila

Progress. Such a definitive word concerning change. I too look back fondly, on the days of my travels when "Asia on a Shoestring" was my right hand to the vagaries of my, now, chosen home. More than a tome, a way of life. The trustiest friend in adventures.

The borders of "unfound" change - but never the spirit. ;+)

Archived