Looking to get a new backpack style bag that will fit in with airline carry on sizes, particularly Ryanair. They say max size is: 55 X 40 X 20cm. 

What do you use and recommend?

Thanks

Phil

I use (and love) ThinkTank's Airport Security V2.  I have the USA version, but they also make a smaller version for international carriers.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-security-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx

Cheers,

Jason

I do like Think Tank bags, Got the speed belt and pouches, and also a Retrospective 5.

But the Airport security is too big: "Exterior Dimensions: 14” W x 22” H x 9” D (35.6 x 55.9 x 22.9 cm)"

Also too big are the Airport Accelerator and the Commuter, and The Essentials comes in under Ryanair specs but I'd like something a bit bigger, to try and get the max possible.

So if anyone can recommend a bag that is up to the 55 X 40 X 20 size....... :rolleyes: 

The international version has smaller dimensions:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-international-v2-roller-camera-bag.aspx

Exterior Dimensions: 14” W x 21” H x 8” D (35.6 x 53.3 x 20.3 cm)

Not sure if that works for RyanAir or not.

Jason

Thanks Jason...Missed that one when I looked at the site... I'll check it out. ;)

Phil

This may not suit Phil but it's what I've started doing recently so may as well post. I have a very neat Lowe Pro 300 which is a mere 23 X 17.4 X 44.5 cm, which fits two pro camera bodies with small primes plus small laptop, cables, backup drives, books and maps etc etc. It's my field bag for mountain walking. This fits neatly into my hard ultra-light Samsung bag (same size as the Ryanair spec) which cost about 4 times the Lowe Pro because it is so light. And there is room for various extras in the Samsung. It comes in at less than 10kg which is also important as Ryanair sometimes weigh the bags and should be considered when purchasing.

I actually got the small Lowe Pro when flying Binter Canarias as they have smaller hand baggage specs although they don't seem to  bother - I've seen people with massive hand baggage. I've used Lowe bags of all sorts for years and have never had a zip or a strap break so am very happy with them.

Crumpler "Pretty Boy" backpack in green since 2007 - don't like the name, but do like the rucksack. The heavy duty, waterproof material makes the zipping a little bit hard, though. Contains my 5D and second camera plus necessary stuff. Don't think they make this model any longer.

Ryan Air  :wacko:

when I'm travelling I use the Lowepro Flipside 300 (backpack). Never had any problems getting this one in the cabin and it's great for waking through a crowd as people behind you can not gain access to the main compartment, as you have to take the pack off your back to gain access to the zipper. I just measured mine and it's external dimensions are 44cm long x 31cm wide x 19cm deep.  You can get them here:http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lowepro-flipside-300-black/p1024166

Parm

when I'm travelling I use the Lowepro Flipside 300 (backpack). Never had any problems getting this one in the cabin and it's great for waking through a crowd as people behind you can not gain access to the main compartment, as you have to take the pack off your back to gain access to the zipper. I just measured mine and it's external dimensions are 44cm long x 31cm wide x 19cm deep. You can get them here:http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lowepro-flipside-300-black/p1024166

Parm

That\s the one I was referring to as well above - it's a great backpack. For the sake of correctness, I quoted dimensions from the Wex website but gave one internal dimension (it must be the heat here in eastern England going to my head). I should have said 25.8 instead of 23 cm for the lateral size. If you fill it, it moves out sideways so maybe that is how you are getting 31 cm. In any case it is well within the Ryanair limits.

Incidentally, Easyjet have recently reduced their cabin baggage size below the standard 55 X 40 X 20.

How do you get past the small weight allowance for carry-on?  My Calumet backpack fits the size requirement, but the last time I flew Virgin Atlantic I had to take the cameras out to meet the weight requirement.

How do you get past the small weight allowance for carry-on?  My Calumet backpack fits the size requirement, but the last time I flew Virgin Atlantic I had to take the cameras out to meet the weight requirement.

Fortunately I can manage within 10kg for most of my kit, bodies, lenses, flash. Tripod, reflectors, and a few other accessories go in hold bag.

With Ryanair you can't get away with carrying camera around your neck, they insist everything has to be in the bag...Big pockets can be a help for some items ;)

Fortunately I can manage within 10kg for most of my kit, bodies, lenses, flash. Tripod, reflectors, and a few other accessories go in hold bag.

With Ryanair you can't get away with carrying camera around your neck, they insist everything has to be in the bag...Big pockets can be a help for some items ;)

I was about to say the same. You would risk the 60 euro excess with your hand baggage placed in the hold if you carry cameras around your neck. Besides, it would be a rather uncomfortable flight if you kept them around your neck and you probably would not want to put cameras loose in the overhead lockers or at your feet.

I've not flown Virgin but I checked out their website and they have increased their hand baggage allowance from 6 to 10 Kg since March 2013. Their bag sizes are non-standard though at 55 X 36 X 23 which means the standard bag would exceed one of these dimensions. 

After a bit of online research and thanks to suggestions I've narrowed it down to either the Lowe Pro Runner 300AW or the Think Tank airport Essentials.

I'll be in Dublin in august so a visit to Conns cameras is on the cards to see both models and make a final decision.

Also whilst researching on the web I found this blog: http://snapperstuff.wordpress.com and coincidently they've just posted some very interesting comparisons re Airline carry on bag sizes.

Thanks again for all the input :D

Phil

Gosh reckon this might be too late but when I went to Italy for a month, I used the Evolution 9 by Tamrac. It's a camera/laptop sling backpack. Meaning you can use it as a regular backpack or use just one strap as a sling to pull it around to get equipment out of. It's just shy of 20" tall and with all equipment/heavy laptop it weighed in at about 20 lbs.

http://www.tamrac.com/products/evolution9/

I find it very comfortable to carry around. I hiked up some very steep streets in Italy and was glad I bought it. On the front of the bag there is also a place for your tripod. I took the Evolution and a small roll suitcase as my 2 carry on bags. The Evolution fits in the upper compartment full but need to remove the tripod. For me it was money well spent!

A side note: I also bought a cut proof steel mesh bag to go over the backpack, which I found very useful while in Rome and in hotel rooms if I didn't wish to take my equipment with me. I would lock it to a pipe or something else that would be difficult to take apart. Had some guys eying my stuff on a number of occasions, but when they saw all was secured with the security bag (even when setup shooting) they moved along. Of course I was a single woman traveling, perhaps guys wouldn't have that worry. ;)

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-c35l-camera-bag-protector

After a bit of online research and thanks to suggestions I've narrowed it down to either the Lowe Pro Runner 300AW or the Think Tank airport Essentials.

I'll be in Dublin in august so a visit to Conns cameras is on the cards to see both models and make a final decision.

Also whilst researching on the web I found this blog: http://snapperstuff.wordpress.com and coincidently they've just posted some very interesting comparisons re Airline carry on bag sizes.

Phil

The mention of Conns Cameras rings a few old nostalgia bells. I used to buy darkroom chemicals and paper there years ago. Just had a look at their website and it looks like a very good shop in fact. Price of the Lowe Pro is reasonable at €99 (about £70 here from WEX before post and packing), factoring in the exchange rate and the higher vat in Ireland. Enjoy Dublin. I'm hoping to be enjoying the visual and other delights of La Gomera and La Palma soon. 

Gosh reckon this might be too late but when I went to Italy for a month, I used the Evolution 9 by Tamrac. It's a camera/laptop sling backpack. Meaning you can use it as a regular backpack or use just one strap as a sling to pull it around to get equipment out of. It's just shy of 20" tall and with all equipment/heavy laptop it weighed in at about 20 lbs.

http://www.tamrac.com/products/evolution9/

I find it very comfortable to carry around. I hiked up some very steep streets in Italy and was glad I bought it. On the front of the bag there is also a place for your tripod. I took the Evolution and a small roll suitcase as my 2 carry on bags. The Evolution fits in the upper compartment full but need to remove the tripod. For me it was money well spent!

A side note: I also bought a cut proof steel mesh bag to go over the backpack, which I found very useful while in Rome and in hotel rooms if I didn't wish to take my equipment with me. I would lock it to a pipe or something else that would be difficult to take apart. Had some guys eying my stuff on a number of occasions, but when they saw all was secured with the security bag (even when setup shooting) they moved along. Of course I was a single woman traveling, perhaps guys wouldn't have that worry. ;)

http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-c35l-camera-bag-protector

That bag would exceed the Ryanair and standard dimensions for many airlines. 

Maybe the guys weren't eyeing up your cameras. I have a fond memory of being in Rome in the early 80s, crouching down on a street corner taking pictures of a lizard. I had long curly hair at the time and got beeped and whistled at by some guy passing by. His face when I turned around would have made a lovely picture - unfortunately I didn't get time to shoot - his machismo or whatever the Italian equivalent is was deeply offended. 

Phil

The mention of Conns Cameras rings a few old nostalgia bells. I used to buy darkroom chemicals and paper there years ago. Just had a look at their website and it looks like a very good shop in fact. Price of the Lowe Pro is reasonable at €99 (about £70 here from WEX before post and packing), factoring in the exchange rate and the higher vat in Ireland. Enjoy Dublin. I'm hoping to be enjoying the visual and other delights of La Gomera and La Palma soon. 

Conns is a great shop, on a par with any of the ones I used to use when I was based in London.

If you stop off in Tenerife get in touch and we can meet up for a coffee, or something stronger! :P

That bag would exceed the Ryanair and standard dimensions for many airlines. 

Maybe the guys weren't eyeing up your cameras. I have a fond memory of being in Rome in the early 80s, crouching down on a street corner taking pictures of a lizard. I had long curly hair at the time and got beeped and whistled at by some guy passing by. His face when I turned around would have made a lovely picture - unfortunately I didn't get time to shoot - his machismo or whatever the Italian equivalent is was deeply offended. 

Admittedly, I didn't check all size requirements for every airline nor did I convert metric to US/visa versa. My apologies. Tamrac does make a smaller one of the Evolution 9 backpack though if interested.

hehehe Well perhaps one was eying me up, but Rome is not what I always heard about. I'm not one to get paranoid or scared very easily, but have to say Rome was 1 city I wouldn't walk around at night alone. The India men/peddlers are very forceful and quick to grab what they can. Even a couple of European men I took pictures for of their families w/their cameras told me to be very wary around them. All my life I wanted to visit Rome, scheduled 5 days/4 nights in Ostia on the Ligurian Sea and after 3/2 I left and headed south along the coast. Never felt uncomfortable in any other village/city in Italy, often walking the back streets at night.

I often feel vulnerable in big cities, carrying expensive gear around which could be easily removed. It's certainly not just Rome. I would like to visit Vesuvius but Naples has a bad reputation for tourist muggings. Similarly, Barcelona has got a bad reputation in recent years. When I visit Dublin, my native city, I am always watching out if I have camera gear on show but there I have a reasonably good idea of where not to go and how to not behave like a tourist. I hate giving in to fear of being mugged but common sense needs to prevail - a sad fact of modern life, undoubtedly related to poverty and deprivation. I generally forego the urban stuff and aim for the quiet countryside where in a sense one is even more vulnerable but the chances of anything happening are usually pretty slim.

I've lived in Rome and I've lived in Texas, in Dallas.The difference is every other person has a gun in their car in Texas. Is that still true? Rome? I've heard all the tourist rumors, of course. But I've never heard a first-person account of being mugged. They will break into your car and, given the chance, break into your room, but muggings? Don't think so. And New York is a pretty safe place these days too. 

I've been to 57 countries, and the only place anyone ever tried to rob me was in Bogota, Columbia. I understand they've cleaned up their act too. 

In America, Chicago and LA are now places to watch your back. 

Oh, and about luggage: it's a good idea to check the site of the airline you're flying to make sure the specs haven't changed.

I think I have flagged this up before - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TA71W2/ref=as_li_tf_tl?camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B004TA71W2&linkCode=as2&tag=f2photo00-21

When I bought mine they were only £32, and we got a white one too for tropical/summer trips, serves to keep gear cool even when forced to expose bag to sun (that was £49). It's 50 x 30 x 20cm which is within the smallest airline carryon limits but when stuffed full (15" latop, iPad, loads of things in the base compartment) it can measure a bit fatter. It has the main benefit of weighing just a fraction over 1 kilo empty. Unfortunately with my gear in it came out at 11 kilos for the last trip and the main culprit was my MacBook Pro+iPad (both) - a single MacBook Air would have kept it under 10. That's with a full frame DSLR, 24-105m, 12-24mm, 70-300mm, 50mm f/1.4, filters, cables, batteries, charger, small accessories. I have a ScotteVest in its stow bag hanging from one strap ring and putting it on is a nuisance, but they don't care how many jackets you are wearing... also, I bought this bag because it has the base compartment which fits my Gitzo Traveller 6X for use when shooting; I do NOT try to take this in hand baggage as despite being officially under the size they permit for tripod, umbrellas etc I nearly lost it to customs on one trip - better risked in hold luggage.

Archived