28 Views and 1 zoom - no images

Guest Stockfotoart

Guest Stockfotoart
On 21.1.2017 at 15:43, funkyworm said:

On 21.1.2017 at 15:13, Stockfotoart said:

On 21.1.2017 at 15:06, funkyworm said:

On 21.1.2017 at 10:39, Stockfotoart said:

On 21.1.2017 at 09:59, Phil Crean said:

dpa is a german agency so maybe they restrict Alamy from selling their own images in the German market... <_<

Phil

Obviously this is the case but I'm lacking any logic in it - in one the Berlin newspapers dpa images are used - so what's the sense of it all to restrict them at alamy??

Because the Berlin paper could then go and buy the same image on Alamy possibly for a lower price (actually unlikely) and DPA dont then get 100% but Alamy would take a cut.

this would mean that all images taken in a country in which the event took place are restricted in this very country (I don't believe that Berlin is an exception) ..

Is there any evidence for that? I don't negate that this might be possible but I wonder why nobody came up with this before here

No, it seems that DPA/EPA/ANP and a few others have an arrangement that their images cannot be seen through IP addresses from certain countries, in this case Germany.

It has come up before, but a while ago. In the found images thread Wim found an image of a windmill around the corner from where I used to live but because it was supplied through DPA we couldn;t see it in the search results when looking from The Netherlands.

The live news page looks a lot different when looking from IP addresses in the UK than when I look in Holland. Suddenly a lot more agency images (like, Xinhua, EPA etc) are available.

This does make it a bit difficult to know where you are. You could have an Alamynopoly when looking for certain search terms from Germany, but when anyone looks from a UK IP address (where most customers are) they could have a couple of pages of images to choose from. There are ways of anonymizing (?) your IP address to get round this... the question is whether it is worth the effort.

I get 17 results for the search string in question - barberini potsdam museum - by clicking the link - and by entering the string on Alamy's main front page. All relevant. Searched from Denmark. Weird.

Edited: Will probably also have influenced the old-fashioned BHZ-ranking that many were at least somewhat serious about???

Guest Stockfotoart
On 21.1.2017 at 17:16, Niels Quist said:

I get 17 results for the search string in question - barberini potsdam museum - by clicking the link - and by entering the string on Alamy's main front page. All relevant. Searched from Denmark. Weird.

Edited: Will probably also have influenced the old-fashioned BHZ-ranking that many were at least somewhat serious about???

I guess you only see mine which i uploaded yesterday because dpa has obviously more than that

Yes, same pseudonym - but also an image (only one I think) from a major contributor or agency with more than 250,000 images. Still seems odd.

I got 93 images when I clicked on the term today. I thought it might be that your search showed "Creative" rather than "Relevant" but mine defaulted to "Creative" too. I'm in the US. 

Maybe the photographer has them with a German agency and they are restricted on Alamy? Although I thought those restrictions were done away with under the new system, I'm assuming that something like that could still be done through CR - or Alamy could be a distributor for the agency whose photographer took them? 

EDIT: Didn't see your last post - so what is the answer? 

Guest Stockfotoart
On 28.1.2017 at 18:38, Marianne said:

I got 93 images when I clicked on the term today. I thought it might be that your search showed "Creative" rather than "Relevant" but mine defaulted to "Creative" too. I'm in the US. 

Maybe the photographer has them with a German agency and they are restricted on Alamy? Although I thought those restrictions were done away with under the new system, I'm assuming that something like that could still be done through CR - or Alamy could be a distributor for the agency whose photographer took them? 

EDIT: Didn't see your last post - so what is the answer? 

• 4 months later...

Archived