File sizes

Hi folks, just had my first photos rejected (new member) I suspect because of the file size i.e. not 17MB or higher. My RAW files of my images are not that size so how do I make jpgs as big as that. I should say that i'm quite new to digital photography ( 1 year) Any advice would be hugely welcome.. Thanks Phil

Yeas, u should mention the reason for rejection ...

Anyway, check your DSLR image size settings ...

Choose RAW+Fine ( the maximum resolution and quality ) ... Beside if your DSLR is 6MP or more ... then it is FINE ...

Besides. watch out from massive cropping ... Cropping a 16MP image massively could end as low as 4MP image resolution which for sure the image will be rejected ...

I am A newbie too, And I wish I made my point clear ...

'soft and lacking definition' ... I think this goes to factors like : Focus, Subject or Camera Motion (shake), massive retouching like Noise Removal if the image are @ High ISO ... Lightening Techniques ... Check the images at 100% from corner to corner ... Try to figure out if the main subject is in FOCUS or not ...

As stated above, 17MB refers to uncompressed size. 12MP x 3 bytes (R, G & B ) = 36MB (>17MB so OK). The compressed jpeg will be much smaller.

Soft or lacking def. is the most common cause of failure, and could be due to camera shake, motion blur, etc. Take no chances with your first four: preferably use a tripod and/or shoot a static subject.

It sometimes can come down to the lens you're using. Lenses are the most important part of the kit. Most DSLRs are fine, but lenses are another story.

I have no experience with the D7100, but I did have the D7000. My lenses were good. Yet with that camera a lot of my images were soft. Loved the color on that camera, though.

If not the lens it is probably the focus that has been underrated. Often newcomers are not used to discard images that are not tack sharp - or rather completely in focus - in a logical area. (Though Alamy often accepts different interpretations of what logical areas are). Landscape images need a deeper depth of field - a large zone of sharpness. If not sure about your lens I'd suggest to start at f8- f10 in the beginning.

As Mark told you, it has to be at 100% to be able to judge anything, it is not large enough. But you have found yourself that it is not tack sharp, which solves the problem. By the way, not an image I would submit as the first four. I'd select more simple images to shoot and get tack sharp. Your content is not judged.

Possibly, tho I did use a good tripod and shutter release delay, I do remember it was absolutely tipping with hard rain, perhaps that has had an effect? I used a polarizer but no other filter. F16 1 sec exposure. Jpeg file is 6,5 Mb 

Possibly, tho I did use a good tripod and shutter release delay, I do remember it was absolutely tipping with hard rain, perhaps that has had an effect? I used a polarizer but no other filter. F16 1 sec exposure. Jpeg file is 6,5 Mb

Take care of diffraction that may occur at f16 - may be another reason - personally I usually don't go much higher than just above f10. Digital dSLR photography changed a lot.

Google it or this may be helpful: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/diffraction.htm

or even better this Alamy Forum thread: http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/1849-pictures-quality-for-first-submission/

Manual focus? Hyperfocal distance? Mirror locked?

If you are a beginner to photography you may be in the wrong place.

Just to clarify, I'm fairly new to Digital but not to photography in general. I used all the disciplines mentioned in the last post. I also designed the Depssi Card some 10 years ago. I accept without question that at least one of my submissions was not right. I was only trying to determine exactly why it failed. Clearly, the image is not as sharp as i thought initially, my fault for not checking properly prior to submission. I will be more careful next time. Lesson learnt.  Thank you for all your replies. Phil

I also designed the Depssi Card some 10 years ago.

WOW. I never heard of this before but it looks great. I wish I'd known about it back when I was using 1.5x sensor. A new one for hyperfocal distances for 36MP sensors would be great. I had to work out my own hyperfocal distances from direct testing and extreme pixel peeping.

Just look at your images on the computer screen at 100%. You'll be surprised what you might find, like OOF birds in the sky that QC may think is a dust bunny. Clone it out. Sky a bit noisy? Select the sky and use noise reduction.

And you'll see if it is sharp enough, and whether the camera grabbed the wrong focus point when using AF.

You'll be fine.

Just to clarify, I'm fairly new to Digital but not to photography in general. I used all the disciplines mentioned in the last post. I also designed the Depssi Card some 10 years ago. I accept without question that at least one of my submissions was not right. I was only trying to determine exactly why it failed. Clearly, the image is not as sharp as i thought initially, my fault for not checking properly prior to submission. I will be more careful next time. Lesson learnt.  Thank you for all your replies. Phil

Sorry Phil, it looked like you were a complete newbie of one year.

It's best to send a technically perfect boring still life for QC, not a favourite or popular 'arty' image.

They (QC) may have not been happy with the long exposure on the water, or, as has been said, other problems which can only be seen at 100%.

Archived