File sizes

As discussed, I suspect that the failure reason was due to your having chosen a difficult subject for your first submission, however it is possible that there is some misalignment or maladjustment of the auto focus system in the camera. I don't much use DSLRs these days, but seem to recall that some models allowed a degree of adjustment to suit a particular lens.

I don't know Nikon gear, but presumably you can get a precise focus using live view (where you are seeing exactly what the sensor is receiving) to check against the autofocus setting?

See, for example, https://photographylife.com/how-to-quickly-test-your-dslr-for-autofocus-issues

I honestly think its down to user error. When I looked again at the image I see rocks and tree trunks look pretty good to me but foliage has movement due to wind and rain. Using f16 is probably not a good idea ( Ken Rockwell alludes to this) and shooting when conditions are more favourable would also help. I've been a craftsman using hand tools for many years, I never blame my tools. 

Archived