I got one $450 book cover in 2014, a $571 magazine cover  in 2015. 

While looking, I also found a textbook inside for $337 in 2013, several $250 book license in 2015. Oh, the good' ol days....

The last one was a bit of an insult. Doubly so because it had gone unreported for a year and was used by a very distinguished text book company.

The highest a bit over 500.

My average is around 285, this is for around 25 book covers. Included in those 25 are some that are repeat uses, hence the around 25. There are some more, but the specs are for 1/8 or 1/4 of the page.

Back covers pay less. Magazine covers can be quite high too.

Looking at those numbers the last one was not a bit of an insult.

However it is a really good cover that I like very well.

To be honest, the edition may have been very low. Or even extremely low. Like you print one or two boxes and the rest is on demand. Or even just digital.

Then there's a book I liked very very well by a much admired author, but the cover was not that good.

Around the same time there was a cover looking a bit like that with an image from the same series that would have sold so much better. (But the image already had been taken and the design was very much alike.)

The subjects vary from a Japanese mathematics book, a Czech detective, US politics, UK politics, quite some travel books obviously and a language course.

The subject; the country, the edition and the book company all have an influence on the price of course.

Prices do go down. The highest this year was 450 for a travel guide of a moderately sized edition.

wim

edit: I forgot to say congrats to everyone for the covers. Try to find a tear sheet.

This month's sales report includes cover use of a photo of Donald Trump taken at a rally last summer. Assuming it's not a textbook. $300 gross, incl. electronic. Will hold my tongue about good-old-days prices.

Maybe The Donald will make prices great again. B)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I have had 9 book covers sales through Alamy, over the years, with the highest being $630 and lowest, $200. The average is $404. The price variation often has a lot to do with the distribution or press run of the book.

I've had a dozen or so, mainly textbooks, with a few travel guides and a retail book or two thrown in for good measure. Lowest was $79 (a textbook, surprisingly). Most have been in the $150+ range, though.

Book cover prices have definitely dropped over the years, but they still aren't that bad all things considered.

I have had 9 book covers sales through Alamy, over the years, with the highest being $630 and lowest, $200. The average is $404. The price variation often has a lot to do with the distribution or press run of the book.

I've had a dozen or so, mainly textbooks, with a few travel guides and a retail book or two thrown in for good measure. Lowest was $79 (a textbook, surprisingly). Most have been in the $150+ range, though.

Book cover prices have definitely dropped over the years, but they still aren't that bad all things considered.

With smaller print runs being viable (even 1 for POD) as a result of new technology I guess it is inevitable that the average licence fee for a cover image has gone down. But there should be more of them.

Archived