Thanks John. I get it now.

But if one is not better than the other, how do you choose? I would have thought RM would be the better choice as it would mean that the cost is based on its usage?

Thanks John. I get it now.

But if one is not better than the other, how do you choose? I would have thought RM would be the better choice as it would mean that the cost is based on its usage?

Hello Dave,

Like previously said no stupid question at all. RM could be a better choice for the photographer but not necessary for all customers. If you offer that what customer wants instead of what you want you will make more money. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Customers will have more simplicity by buying an RF license. Far less rules and less points to worry. They can use the photo for unlimited time. That can be very profitable for clients.

With RM customers pay only for the usage they choose. So often it will be cheaper for them. The extra advantage is that customer can request an exclusive license.

I would put images that are generic and have competition as RF since exclusivity for them would make less sense. For example and apple on green grass.

All the specific images i would put as RM. Those images would fit as exclusive use. For example and woman eating an apple in front of a famous building from a uncommon angle.

It is only an idea. You could have different thinking :).

Good luck.

Mirco

For me, my personal rule is "conceptual images"=RF vs "non conceptual images"=RM.

So for i.e. every image which has a simple pattern like skies, floors, walls, just one object and one background... all of these go to RF.

If i have MRs then 90% RF

So my main interest is nature subjects i.e. Plants, flowers, macro ( although my current portfolio may not show that?!) are these best as RF?

And some shots have unavoidable brands and logos in, so RM for those?

But Dave, if your images contain designs, brand names and marks, or persons (or even part of persons or very tiny persons) without a respective either property release or model release, your images must be RM (as it is now). I just had a brief look at your images - and I think you should consider the licence type for some of them.

The RM will automatically be selected for future images if you tick the boxes in "Manage Images" "Attributes" correctly.

Niels

Thanks Niels

I think I'm beginning to understand now. I dont think that I can change the license of the images already on though, but hopefully I'm better informed than I was when I originally submitted.

Thanks Niels

I think I'm beginning to understand now. I dont think that I can change the license of the images already on though, but hopefully I'm better informed than I was when I originally submitted.

More than welcome. .

If you would like to change the licence type for some images already online an e-mail to Alamy contributor service often will do it if the images are new, as a correct licence will be in both their and your interest.

Good luck.

Niels

Archived