Sony A55 dead- where to go next?

Have you tried the EVF on the CSC Sony's? My eyesight is far from being the best, I use a combination of varifocals and reading specs, but, with the dioptre correction adjusted to suit, and an up 9.6x magnification on the NEX 6, I find that I can manually focus most lenses without difficulty. If you are using autofocus, there should be no issues.

I do all my camera adjustments using the EVF, I hardly ever use the rear screen, which means that I can work without glasses most of the time.

The a6000, with a lower resolution but possibly brighter EVF, is at a bargain price at present. Used it's probably a steal.

Assuming I don't repair it, any thoughts at a similar price (used)? I will not be changing brand or going mirrorless (my eyesight requires a viewfinder) so please restrict suggestions accordingly if you can. TIA.

Bearing budget in mind, how much to repair A55?

Allan

Who knows- can't be under £100 and bearing shutter life in mind, about which I've read bad things, I've asked for quotesbut it can hardly be under £100 if a new shutter is needed. Refurbed shutter units are £35.

Questionable economics for a camera that might go phut again.

The A58 looks like a good camera. I've thought about getting a used one since I still have some A-mount and Minolta lenses kicking around. Used A58's are tough to find here, though.

Problem with A-mount adapters for NEX-6, etc. is that they are overpriced and you lose image stabilization.They are also bulky.

Handy list of Sony A-mount cameras here.

Thanks for the tip re NEX and the list- I thought Sony had abandoned SLT altogether.

Considering the likely culprit I'll be keeping a close eye on shutter count. Another A55 of similar vintage could go the same way.

Just under 35000 exposures, in case anyone was wondering. The SLT shutters actuate twice per exposure so the true count is double, alarmingly.

Thanks for the tip re NEX and the list- I thought Sony had abandoned SLT altogether.

Considering the likely culprit I'll be keeping a close eye on shutter count. Another A55 of similar vintage could go the same way.

Just under 35000 exposures, in case anyone was wondering. The SLT shutters actuate twice per exposure so the true count is double, alarmingly.

I don't think that Sony has totally abandoned SLT, but you never know. They are an innovative but weird company. It's impossible to predict what they will do next or even understand what they are doing now.

One drawback with the A58 is that I believe it has a plastic(?!!) lens mount. As mentioned, Sony is odd.

TBH I'm not sure a plastic mount is a problem these days- there don't seem to be any signs of wear on my Sony kit lens flanges, even from 3 years' use on the A55, which does have a metal mount.

Three years- I ask you . It's no lifespan for a camera. Working one minute, the next, pfft. Although it didn't even go pfft. Just turned into a brick. Although I assume there were 3 years on it when I got it. Last time it wasn't Sony's fault- I dropped it.R

Ramble over. there's a low-mileage A58 on ebay ATM, might as well bite the bullet. No sales this month so I'm bound to lose a tooth.

TBH I'm not sure a plastic mount is a problem these days- there don't seem to be any signs of wear on my Sony kit lens flanges, even from 3 years' use on the A55, which does have a metal mount.

Three years- I ask you . It's no lifespan for a camera. Working one minute, the next, pfft. Although it didn't even go pfft. Just turned into a brick. Although I assume there were 3 years on it when I got it. Last time it wasn't Sony's fault- I dropped it.

You are probably correct. I had a Tamron lens with a plastic mount that I used for years with no problem. I never felt totally secure with it, though. Pfft sucks. Corrosion perhaps?

Just to clarify :)

I see that you write you don't want mirrorless because you need a viewfinder. Just know that most mirrorless camera has a viewfinder. They have an electronic viewfinder just like you had on your A55. The mirror of the A55 is transparent so the light goes through the mirror. Mirror dont need to move that way. This means that the viewfinder was made electronic and not analog. This viewfinder you will find also on almost all Sony mirrorless cameras.

Mirco

Thanks all, the A58 it is, despite DK's reservations which is pretty unusual for me as he usually picks my cameras, but I didn't expect to be needing a replacement so soon. I have one on the way.

I don't believe that DK had any reservations about the IQ of the A58, which is what counts in the long run. Let us know how you like it.

One thing nice about the A-mount lenses is that they tend to be less expensive than the e-mount ones. Plus, with so many people going mirrorless, used Sony A-mount and Minolta AF lenses are readily available. The receding edge of technology isn't a bad place to be IME.

Thanks all, the A58 it is, despite DK's reservations which is pretty unusual for me as he usually picks my cameras, but I didn't expect to be needing a replacement so soon. I have one on the way.

I don't believe that DK had any reservations about the IQ of the A58, which is what counts in the long run. Let us know how you like it.

One thing nice about the A-mount lenses is that they tend to be less expensive than the e-mount ones. Plus, with so many people going mirrorless, used Sony A-mount and Minolta AF lenses are readily available. The receding edge of technology isn't a bad place to be IME.

Not IQ, no. Mainly handling and build quality quibbles and some odd omissions from the A55, such as GPS and an articulated screen, both of which I'll miss. I've picked something I can just plug in to my existing setup and not have to learn a bunch of new buttons. It works tethered as well which will be handy now and again.

I may even go down to the 10MP option on it since I'm resizing to 4000 or 4500 these days anyway. My C drive is getting a bit full.

Not IQ, no. Mainly handling and build quality quibbles and some odd omissions from the A55, such as GPS and an articulated screen, both of which I'll miss. I've picked something I can just plug in to my existing setup and not have to learn a bunch of new buttons. It works tethered as well which will be handy now and again.

I may even go down to the 10MP option on it since I'm resizing to 4000 or 4500 these days anyway. My C drive is getting a bit full.

Too bad about no articulated screen. I find the one on the NEX-6 very useful. I don't have to downsize very often, even with kit lenses.

C drive getting full? Just transfer RAWs and/or TIFs to external drives.

Sony is very good at weird omissions. It seems to part of their marketing strategy.

Got it now, only 450 clicks on it.

The size choice doesn't apply to RAWs so bigger files for me. Yes, I could go to my external USB, but it's my backup currently, I may need another for Christmas! My LR is also a bit sluggish at times, i don't want it to have any more excuses for lethargy.

The screen just tilts up and down and it doesn't have the spirit level which i liked- less necessary since I found the perspective button in LR by accident.

Seems useful at first glance- electronic first curtain so half the shutter wear. Usable at 3200 with downsize to Alamy minimum (I've been doing that for some 1600 images for a while anyway) and 6400 may even work on a case-by case basis. And back to a decent sized battery, same as the ones which I flogged off 2 years ago! However for the most part it's pretty much the same camera, which is good for someone who gets used to things and was hoping to get even used-er to the A55.

The newer kit 18-55 is much nicer too, smooth enough to pull zoom and focus for video, and glory of glories, it fires my Illumitran and the screen doesn't go black on manual for studio use.

As you say, a few weird omissions. There are a couple on Ebay US but a bit pricey. I'm not one for gear acquisition syndrome, it's just a tool, and the cheaper the better.

I'm not one for gear acquisition syndrome, it's just a tool, and the cheaper the better.

A man after my own heart (although I am often tempted)!

Best of luck with your new camera Mark .

OK but I hope you realise that the resolution is going to drop off a cliff after the third glass of cabernet.

True, but Edo's fully articulating head should help compensate. B)

No point in spendin' money I don't have on stuff I don't need. That's what I always say.

Archived