Sony A55 dead- where to go next?

A quick report back from a trip to Toulouse with the A58 if it helps anyone.

First lots through QC. Fine at 3200 ISO reduced to minimum size, careful with the NR, it needs quite a bit. 6400 not chanced. One odd case of hot pixel noise in the shadows at 250 in an image of a very black piano. If it had been sharp enough for QC I could have fixed it.

20MP so some eye-training needed to get used to the bigger view at 100%, at least for me coming from 16.

Things missed: GPS and fully-articulating LCD, as I expected. It also doesn't fire my old studio flash on hotshoe because according to Multiblitz Minilites need a lower resistance. So a wireless trigger is required.

Nice eye relief on the EVF with glasses on. Excellent battery life- 66% left after 270 clicks.

Verdict: Pick up and go for an existing Sony user.

A quick report back from a trip to Toulouse with the A58 if it helps anyone.

First lots through QC. Fine at 3200 ISO reduced to minimum size, careful with the NR, it needs quite a bit. 6400 not chanced. One odd case of hot pixel noise in the shadows at 250 in an image of a very black piano. If it had been sharp enough for QC I could have fixed it.

20MP so some eye-training needed to get used to the bigger view at 100%, at least for me coming from 16.

Things missed: GPS and fully-articulating LCD, as I expected. It also doesn't fire my old studio flash on hotshoe because according to Multiblitz Minilites need a lower resistance. So a wireless trigger is required.

Nice eye relief on the EVF with glasses on. Excellent battery life- 66% left after 270 clicks.

Verdict: Pick up and go for an existing Sony user.

Thanks for the report. Sounds as if you found a good replacement. I'll keep the A58 in mind.

Archived