Restrictions set by Alamy

I have ten images mostly of a train station which Alamy set restrictions on. Having looked at the list I'm confused as to what the image might now be used for. There's too many restrictions to type out here and I can't copy and paste but the first image is ECXF1R if you want to have a look.  Should I just delete the images? 

Three others are of the Olympic torch which were taken in a public place and they are all similarly restricted. I know the Olympic board are hot on protecting the brand/logo but the restrictions seem to cover all possible usages. In what possible way could these images be sold now except maybe by the Olympic board themselves? I'm sure many of you have had similar restrictions applied.  :(

The only restriction that I can see when I view it is "Editorial Use Only" - are you seeing something different?

Yes, I see all boxes set to "All" and then there's seven restrictions. Example. "All countries, internal business usage, All Medias, All industries, All sub-industries"

The only restriction that I can see when I view it is "Editorial Use Only" - are you seeing something different?

Yes, I see all boxes set to "All" and then there's seven restrictions. Example. "All countries, internal business usage, All Medias, All industries, All sub-industries"

So yes, that basically sounds like how you set an image to be for editorial use only. There are eight usage types in total and to set an image for editorial use only, you have to add a restriction for each usage type which covers all media and locations with the exception of the 'Editorial' usage. I think if you are on any property owned by Network Rail, you are supposed to set the image as Editorial Usage only. I remember there being a thread about this when it all happened and I believe I got an email at the time.

So yes, that basically sounds like how you set an image to be for editorial use only. There are eight usage types in total and to set an image for editorial use only, you have to add a restriction for each usage type which covers all media and locations with the exception of the 'Editorial' usage. I think if you are on any property owned by Network Rail, you are supposed to set the image as Editorial Usage only. I remember there being a thread about this when it all happened and I believe I got an email at the time.

Thanks Matt, that puts my mind at ease. 

I'm seeing 'Editorial use only' in red at the top and then the options to purchase are

Presentation £9.99

Editorial website £29.99

Magazines, newsletters and books £39.99

with an option to choose another rights-managed license

(sorry would have posted a screenshot but couldn't work out how to do it!)

Kay

That's great Kay, thanks.

If the station was in Glasgow and set earlier this year (with discussion here in the forum), the restrictions should have been lifted.

Really, why were they lifted?

Because Network Rail's position was legally untenable and even Alamy didn't roll over. They were also threatened with some bad press as I recall.

PM sent.

If the station was in Glasgow and set earlier this year (with discussion here in the forum), the restrictions should have been lifted.

Sorry, my false memory. They were first of all removed totally from Alamy, then restored with restrictions set to editorial only, which was OK for me as there are unreleased people in (most of the) photos.

Sorry, my false memory. They were first of all removed totally from Alamy, then restored with restrictions set to editorial only, which was OK for me as there are unreleased people in (most of the) photos.

Yes, that's pretty much the sequence of events.

My question is as follows:

If I upload photos as News to Live News Feed, all of them automatically get licence Rights Managed.

I was sure till now, that Rights Managed means editorial usage, NOT usage for advertising purposes.

Am I right?

When I upload a photo with people in the streets and have no model release, Alamy makes that photo Rights Managed. Isn't it enough?

Shall I manually set RM photos to Editorial?

What to do?

No, Rights managed is just a way of licensing images.

At the moment, Alamy chooses to make all files which need, but don't have releases Rights managed, but if you choose, you can set any released images, as well as those which don't need releases, as RM.

At the moment, you can't choose to make your editorial files RF, but a while back Alamy said they were going to introduce editorial RF.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused. Is there a way for photographers to set the use to "Editorial Only?" Can this only be done by Alamy?

I tried restricting commercial and personal use and now I get a list of items it can't be used for - including web sites.

This morning I checked all my images with restrictions.  

They are all over the places.  

For example, some of them are now for personal use ONLY. (I never set any images as personal use only)

This must have happened due to the introduction of the new system which must have overridden previous stipulations.

Everyone, please check the restrictions and change.  

Sung 

I'm confused. Is there a way for photographers to set the use to "Editorial Only?" Can this only be done by Alamy?

I tried restricting commercial and personal use and now I get a list of items it can't be used for - including web sites.

You can do this in Manage Images (in theory). Drag images into the Batch window, then click on Restrictions. Choose a Usage restriction, then click the Add button. You'll have to do this three times for the current batch before saving; don't add the Editorial restriction. This leaves the images available for the Editorial use, but not PU and the  two others. These instructions are in a yellow box after you click Restrictions in the Batch window. 

I spent 30 minutes setting PU restriction on my images, but don't see the restriction showing when I zoom on an image yet. If it doesn't appear soon, I'll ask Alamy to set that restriction on all my images. This method seems cryptic to me, but maybe makes sense to more business-oriented folks than I. On one image I did yesterday, there was a restriction on the zoomed image almost immediately, so I'm optimistic.   

Not mistaken. The image referenced by Dougie in OP does have such a message, contained in a blue box. There is a similar blue box on some of my images (not all?) warning the buyer about commercial use. On FJC8XW you can see what a PU restriction looks like to the buyer. These things might be new, today is the first time I've seen them. I don't see the scary red text that I did months ago. I rather like the way restricted images are now presented to a buyer.

Archived