Heavy photos

Wow, some really terrific images there, Ernest. I love it that you've named the different tribal groups. 

70MP? Maybe they're going for on the super hi-way mural clients? I'm sure some people will be along any minute now naming many "heavy" cameras. Keep up the good work. 

If you mean MB, 70 MB is around 24 megapixel, which is pretty average nowadays.

If you have a look at my G3HDXC, you'll see: 

File size: 7952 x 5304 px | 67.3 x 44.9 cm (300dpi) | 120.7 MB
The 120.7 MB is the size of the file when it's an uncompressed bitmap, like a TIFF or BMP.
7952 x 5304 = 42177408 px is 42 megapixel. (= a A7RII)

wim

Yes, MO means MB ( megabit) not MP ( megapixel).

Thanks to those who like my collection.

To fotoDogue,

I started this discussion after seeing your photos. I was reading another thread and you were there, writing about the Nikon D3300. Indeed, my camera ( Nikon D700) broke down some times ago. So I'm looking for a new Nikon body. D700 is good stuff unfortunately there is one drawback, photos are not really heavy ( 34 MB).So D3300 is good choice ? I'm looking for something not too expensive, something you take photos more heavy than 34 MB.

The D3300 is a very decent entry level camera with very good image quaity for the still amazingly cheap price of £289 in the UK (seems to have avoided the big post-Brexit referendum price increases of most Nikon kit here). It is DX-format but that might suit your portraiture very well. Compared to the full frame FX-format D700, it will feel very light and fragile but the image quality is more than decent and it is 24MP (about 72 MB). Nikon are bringing  out the D3400 but I don't know what the differences are except that it is quite a lot more expensive.

Incidentally, file sizes (MP or MB) are not usually described as heavy in English although it may be a very apt description. A more typical way of describing file sizes would be simply to say larger than rather than heavier than - so you are looking for a camera that produces images larger than the 36 MB files from the D700.

Also image sizes are usually in megapixels, because the amount of Mb we have talked about here are all 8bit.

There's 16bit as well. Then there's compressed RAW; uncompressed RAW; compressed TIFF and JPG. All with different file sizes.

So a file size is in byte or megabyte (MB); an image is in pixels or megapixels (MP).

(Megabit or Mbit is a decimal unit - just in case.)

wim

To fotoDogue,

I started this discussion after seeing your photos. I was reading another thread and you were there, writing about the Nikon D3300. Indeed, my camera ( Nikon D700) broke down some times ago. So I'm looking for a new Nikon body. D700 is good stuff unfortunately there is one drawback, photos are not really heavy ( 34 MB).So D3300 is good choice ? I'm looking for something not too expensive, something you take photos more heavy than 34 MB.

The D610 is probably the most affordable full frame Nikon these days and at 24 megapixels it gives me ample room to crop. The price was recently lowered to about $1500 U$ at reputable camera shops here in New York, and as low as $995 from questionable sources on the internet.

I still shoot with my old  D300 (12 megapixel) when I want to take advantage of the DX format but the D610 is currently my camera of choice.

fD

• 3 weeks later...

Archived