I have 57 images on Artflakes, the print agency in Berlin. They have made a few sales for me. Does anyone know if they are connected with Pinterest and what that connection might mean? 

Thank you,

Ed

Congratulations. I've got about 260 images on Artflakes and have never made a sale. Don't know what connection they might have with Pinterest, but I notice that there is a "Pinit" button next to each of my photos. There is very little info about the company on the AF website.

I have a page of images on there for about 4 months, not a sale yet.

Strange site as it does not have a forum, I have to admit that until you mentioned it, I hadnt noticed the "Pin it" button.

Kevin

I have just created a Pinterest account, so now I can go to artflakes etc, pin an image to my pinterest account, which copies a magnified copy of what you see on the screen, to my pinterest account page.

If I click on the image it takes me back to the Artflakes page. So yes image theft (Large preview size)

Kevin

Okay, thanks, Kevin, I get it. It does not effect me anymore than Facebook effects me, because I do not have an account at either. 

And, Philippe! What the hell---you're a green 50! Have you been slipping somebody some euros or something?  :o

I have just created a Pinterest account, so now I can go to artflakes etc, pin an image to my pinterest account, which copies a magnified copy of what you see on the screen, to my pinterest account page.

If I click on the image it takes me back to the Artflakes page. So yes image theft (Large preview size)

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Is that a magnified copy with or without watermark?

Cheers,

Philippe

I downloaded one of my images from Artflakes to Pinterest, the file size was 457 x 305, 24.2kb, no watermark

Put it this way, its large enough to print a decent postcard with.

If I download directly from Artflakes the image is 950 x 634 with a watermark

Kevin

Okay, thanks, Kevin, I get it. It does not effect me anymore than Facebook effects me, because I do not have an account at either. 

And, Philippe! What the hell---you're a green 50! Have you been slipping somebody some euros or something?  :o

Ed -  yes it does affect you, because now if I wished to, I can steal small versions of your images.

Anyone with facebook etc can go to your page on Artflakes and help themselves to images without a watermark

Kevin

Ed, Others with a pinterest account can go into Artflakes and pin an image from there to Pinterest site. What happens after that is anyones guess?

Allan

Ed, Others with a pinterest account can go into Artflakes and pin an image from there to Pinterest site. What happens after that is anyones guess?

Allan

Thank you guys for this topic.

Considering to join A-flakes I just send them a ? about this. And ? if they are going to do something about farther/better protection of images.

Any respond to expect? Oh well, but this too falls under the research  :huh:. Otherwise it looks OK.

Any extra recommendation for A-flakes?

May I suggest you Google Artflakes then click on links that mention "Artflakes and Pinterest" in one heading.

Allan

I had a few sales from artflakes from about 50 photos. I don't think they are overly good however I'm not too positive about FAA these days as I think they have good marketing to get you to join, and therefore hundreds of new photographers every week but a limited number of buyers.

I had a few sales from artflakes from about 50 photos. I don't think they are overly good however I'm not too positive about FAA these days as I think they have good marketing to get you to join, and therefore hundreds of new photographers every week but a limited number of buyers.

Artflakes hasn't worked at all for me so far. Also, I find their website to be much less user-friendly than FAA's.

I've made three sales on FAA (about $210 net) during the past couple of weeks, which is better than I did on Alamy during the same time period. Hopefully, I'm on a roll. It's all very unpredictable. I've had long periods of drought on FAA as well. As you say, photographers are joining FAA in droves. Then again, buyers are all looking for different things, as is the case on Alamy.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any further experience on Artflakes?

I have been looking for a print on demand service (am on FAA), this seemed perfect being based in Berlin as I would consider my work to be aimed mainly at German / European market. I have uploaded some work but I am finding their website totally un-user friendly for customers to be able to find work, which makes it seem pointless to put work there.

I expect most people to land on their site from a Google search. I found that when you go to a page on their site from a Google search, for example 'Berlin posters' the search results contain only a few images, which are not changed by selecting either the popular or newest filters. On this search there are less than 96 images shown, whereas if you searched for Berlin directly on their sites own internal search there are 11819. I contacted them to ask why, and have been told that the 'collections' contain only handpicked images. This seems to me to make the site a total failure, am I missing something?

I too wonder how they manage to function....

Got a lot of likes and follows from other artists on the site but also don't understand the search system.

No sales, but then POD doesn't seem to work for me, tried Redbubble, Photo4me, and the free upload on FAA, nothing sold :(

same here Phil, loads of likes but it all seems pointless to me if customers arriving through Google are going to only see a small handpicked collection. If I was a customer I would assume that was all there was to offer and move on. I am just replying to Artflakes to tell them my thoughts, not that I expect it to do any good. Does anyone have other suggestions for European print on demand services that work?

Callie and Phil and all:

The annoying quid pro quo business on these print sites is most distasteful. I've decided not to involve myself with this, and it may result in my closing my accounts at both FAA and Artflakes. Now, with this threat of having my images stollen, I have another strong reason for pulling out. This has been why I don't put images on Flicker and the like. 

I've said before, I don't see my images as having strong sales potential in these print agencies. If you have good landscapes or nature images, FAA should work for you. If your "Art" images are more avant garde and edgy, then perhaps Berlin's Artflakes might be best. But on this last statement, I could be way out of date and just wrong. Perhaps Callie one of our other members in Germany and Europe can bring me up to date?  :)

Ed I don't see the content of Artflakes being particularly avant garde or edgy - to some extent yes, but they have a lot of straight images there too. Problem is I am finding it impossible to tell what sells on there. I can though only find one competitor site in Germany which looks appalling from a site design point of view.

Well, my latest reply from Artflakes:

"we also have the collections "TV-Tower" and "Brandenburg Gate". I put a

few of your images in all three collections!"

It seems complaining does work sometimes  :)

Callie, I was thinking of Berlin as being avant grade and edgy and perhaps Artflakes as an extension of that. (Maybe I shouldn't have watched Cabaret again recently.) Catrin Wely-Stein on Artflakes is way out on the edge, an artist who work in Photoshop. And as an artist, she has captured my heart.

Ed yes you're probably right to some extent on Berlin, although its losing it somewhat, maybe a consequence of gentrification in some parts and heavily increasing numbers of tourists.

Artflakes, there certainly are some edgy artists there, but not solely. I would say the same for FAA but there it is possible to see what sells and see it is a wide selection of styles (with a leaning to overly twee at times).

Perhaps the most annoying feature (other than not importing captions and keywords) of AF is that they don't provide any viewing statistics. Consequently, you can't tell which of your images are being viewed and where the viewers are located. At least FAA provides stats.

Also, AF's prints seem awfully expensive to me. I have my markup set at only 50%, and the prices are still way up there. From what I've heard, most customers buy posters, which are considerably cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

For those concerned about Pinterest, I have just noticed Artflakes will now allow you to deselect Pinterest from its unsocial media links. It doesn't make it so easy to find though, under your account, click on Banner & co and scroll down to the bottom. This is selected by default - "Yes, users should be able to share my works with other users via Pinterest to make them more popular."

I have deselected it, don't like Pinterest at all. But why only the option to deselect Pinterest?

For those concerned about Pinterest, I have just noticed Artflakes will now allow you to deselect Pinterest from its unsocial media links. It doesn't make it so easy to find though, under your account, click on Banner & co and scroll down to the bottom. This is selected by default - "Yes, users should be able to share my works with other users via Pinterest to make them more popular."

I have deselected it, don't like Pinterest at all. But why only the option to deselect Pinterest?

Thanks for this. I was able to unearth the Pinterest "popularity" box and deselect it.

I have 266 images on AF and still no sales after over a year, so I guess I wasn't very popular to begin with.

• 3 months later...

I made a couple of sales on Artflakes over the last month and was shocked each time as to the low commission. This is due to both being poster sales - it seems to me the prices of prints are very high and posters are very low. So I wondered, can anyone who has sold on Artflakes tell me if it was a poster sale or does anything else sell there? I had read they sell mainly posters and if that is the case then I was thinking to raise prices to reflect this. Annoyingly though, it seems you have to change each print individually, no way I can find of raising prices overall  :(

I have had 200 or so images on Artflakes for a couple of years or so, but have never made a sale and have rather given up on them.  But who knows when sales will come?  I had (still have) a minimal number on FAA, which is where I made my first ever sale, even before joining Alamy, but I have never had another.

I agree that there is no way of batch changing your image mark-ups on Artflakes.  Their whole methodology for tagging images seems to me to be too much like hard work, and their non-editable categories of Styles/Genres/Themes are so bizarre or random that I long ago concluded that the time and effort of putting up pictures on to Artflakes was simply not worth the bother.  Every few weeks someone sends me a message that they "like" one or more of my images, but I suspect this is just trying to collect a selection of tit-for-tat "likes" in return, to boost their own profile, which I a game I am not interested in playing.  So, unless I become extremely bored with nothing else to do, I am unlikely to be adding more images to Artflakes.

Graham

Archived