Agree I really dislike the Artflakes site, the whole process of dealing with your images there is hard work and the styles/genres thing is dreadful. But as most of my work is images of Germany so I like to have some on sale there (until I can find a better alternative). FAA is a much better organised site, but their prices are high to send to Europe. Both sales I had on Artflakes - a very popular but not often photographed building, I can see in my stats at FAA it gets loads of hits from Europe, but never a sale there. So, I guess I will up my charge at Artflakes to get the poster prices higher.

A quick aside about the city of Berlin, Callie . . . and I don't know if you are a native Berliner (I could give you the raspberry beer test), but I wonder if you are aware of the totally wrong idea the average American has about Berlin? We/they still think of it as the Cold War, dark alleys and spies, when in fact much (most?) of Berlin is parks.

I still haven't had any sales through Artflakes, so I've more or less stopped uploading. FAA is much more productive and user-friendly IME.

Speaking of Berlin, I believe that last year two Berliners bought prints thru my FAA website, so I guess they weren't concerned about high shipping costs..

"First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin..."

-Leonard Cohen

I still haven't had any sales through Artflakes, so I've more or less stopped uploading. FAA is much more productive and user-friendly IME.

Speaking of Berlin, I believe that last year two Berliners bought prints thru my FAA website, so I guess they weren't concerned about high shipping costs..

-Leonard Cohen

I have never quite understood that line from Cohen!  By coincidence, I have just sold a poster to a German buyer last week via Artflakes for 10 euros, my first sale there since I joined about six months ago.  

-Leonard Cohen

I have never quite understood that line from Cohen!  By coincidence, I have just sold a poster to a German buyer last week via Artflakes for 10 euros, my first sale there since I joined about six months ago.  

Congratulations on the AF sale. It seems that all they ever sell are posters (no prints). Actually, I've never really understand that line from Cohen either, but it has a nice ring to it.

"And you treated my woman to a flake of your life 
And when she came back she was nobody's wife."

just for you, Ed . . .

"New York is cold, but I like where I'm living

There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening."

and the most evocative, sad, from the same wonderful song . . .

" . . . and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes

I thought it was there for good so I never tried."

If I could take photos like he can write, I'd be enriched beyond imagination.

yeah yeah, OT I know, but hey . . . :-)

dd

"And you treated my woman to a flake of your life 
And when she came back she was nobody's wife."

just for you, Ed . . .

"New York is cold, but I like where I'm living

There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening."

and the most evocative, sad, from the same wonderful song . . .

" . . . and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes

I thought it was there for good so I never tried."

If I could take photos like he can write, I'd be enriched beyond imagination.

yeah yeah, OT I know, but hey . . . :-)

dd

When I was a university student in Montreal back in the late 60's and early 70's, I used to see Leonard Cohen now and then in cafes and bistros. He was always surrounded by beautiful women. It pays to write well.

Ed, no I'm not a native Berliner, just a Brit that fell in love with the city, holidayed here a lot and decided to stay a while and I do love a raspberry beer in the summer! And no, I really wasn't aware of that attitude of Americans. You're right about the parks though, its something like 40% of the total is green area or water. And I think you would struggle to find many dark alleys!

John, interesting on FAA and your sales to Germany. I am going to look again at their prices and postage, but I am certainly going to up my prices on Artflakes and assume they only ever sell posters anyway, so I can at least get a decent price from those.

Archived