Location field

Allan Bell

A simple question from a simple mind, and please do not "red card" me for it.

I am asking this here as it is directed to Alamy for their consideration.

Since the change to the Location Field not being searchable, and the necessity of adding the location, where necessary, to the keyword fields.

Does this make the existing Location field redundant?

Just my thought.

Allan

I'm still using it because it shows up in the zoom pop-up and I often have not put it in the essential keywords. If it is in the caption probably is redundant but no harm done, I think.

Paulette

Yes Paulette, I'm still using Location field too but wondering if it might disappear sometime in the future. Which means going through my port. and changing everything AGAIN!

ie Having to add location to the description field just in case we might lose the location field.

Allan

It sure does cause problems when they change things. I still haven't done a whole lot on making sure location is in keywords. Fortunately, I do put it in the caption when it is important and now they have fixed the zoom pop-up so that the entire caption can be seen right under the image.

Paulette

I've always put both New York City and NYC in my local keywords . . . unless of course I don't want to connect the subject with our fair city. Simple food shots that don't obviously show a part of a restaurant get no location. (Who stuck that Starbucks cup in there?) 

It sure does cause problems when they change things. I still haven't done a whole lot on making sure location is in keywords. Fortunately, I do put it in the caption when it is important and now they have fixed the zoom pop-up so that the entire caption can be seen right under the image.

Paulette

If the Manage Images would work, this would have been a 10 minute repair. Just add all that's in the location field to a batch of your choice.

But alas. Some intern had to prove he/she could design a web tool in Flash.

Steve Jobs was not right:  Flash is not inherently evil, nor is Adobe (despite the CC scandal), and you can even make a good tool in Flash, but that takes lots of time and skill, to get it nearly as good as simple html. Of course it will look better in Flash, even when it's just a demo.

Thinking of simple solutions: why not ask memberservice for a csv file and do it offline.

wim

Not looking forward to making all my locations searchable again, one by one, because "Location" that I already added manually, has been disabled.

Did anyone ever say WHY it was eliminated, as it was used for an example in one of the sales videos, how people found images for a sale, by searching locations?

Reminds me of Description which I used for specifics and some people added a page from the encyclopedia. So Alamy disabled it and I had to move all that data, one by one, over to Comprehensive. (which was hidden at the time.)

Oops, now Main is hidden and Comprehensive is shown.

Solution? APPEND keywords instead of overwrite so I can make additions, without manually editing every individual image.

So why was it Location was dropped? I missed that one.

Not looking forward to making all my locations searchable again, one by one, because "Location" that I already added manually, has been disabled.

Did anyone ever say WHY it was eliminated, as it was used for an example in one of the sales videos, how people found images for a sale, by searching locations?

Reminds me of Description which I used for specifics and some people added a page from the encyclopedia. So Alamy disabled it and I had to move all that data, one by one, over to Comprehensive. (which was hidden at the time.)

Solution? APPEND keywords instead of overwrite so I can make additions, without manually editing every individual image.

It's an attempt to make the searches more relevant. People were searching for Paris and seeing images of food or other images taken in Paris that were not OF Paris. This problem looked worse than ever with the introduction of the Creative search. I sure do wish we could append. My images usually have the location in the caption but it is VERY tedious to go through and make sure they are also in keywords that are more heavily weighted in searches.

It's an attempt to make the searches more relevant. People were searching for Paris and seeing images of food or other images taken in Paris that were not OF Paris. This problem looked worse than ever with the introduction of the Creative search. I sure do wish we could append. My images usually have the location in the caption but it is VERY tedious to go through and make sure they are also in keywords that are more heavily weighted in searches.

That's my problem. I followed the directions. I used "Location" which was low and as advised by Alamy. Now they are dropping it? Because of perceived lower rank caused by searches. Wouldn't that effect pretty much everyone the same way, so no gain, no loss. Paris will get you plaster of Paris, Paris Hilton, and maybe Paris, Iowa. Seems that throwing out something, isn't making a difference to the quality or return value of the searches. Kind of like re-arranging the office furniture to make the business more profitable?

Also some people, who were smarter than I, added their locations in the keywords. But why, we have a location field? :huh:

Let me say, I used the Location field in roughly 100% of my images. (OK slight exaggeration, might be only 96%) Because of what I shoot, I thought the where is this, was kind of important to the buyer, just like the date. Now I'm kind of happy that I slacked off last years and didn't upload another 2000 images, because I'd just have more to edit... One by One. Cut and paste the location into Comprehensive.

Someone mentioned external editor? Can I get all the metadata and revise it and re-upload? That would be very nice? Even as a CSV it would be easier than spending days online, making the changes.

Is there a way to append or alter all the data, without schlogging though every individual file, one by one? Anyone have any help or advise?

• 3 weeks later...

The reasons for the new approach to the location field have been detailed in this blog post:

http://www.alamy.com/Blog/contributor/archive/2013/06/12/5376.aspx

Since we've had time to review the results following the change, we are happy that it has led to an improvement in search results for customers.

That's great and all very positive.  But changes such as this result in a lot of (unnecessary) work for contributors! Now perhaps time to address the points made by several posters here and provide us with the ability to append data to keyword fields?

The reasons for the new approach to the location field have been detailed in this blog post:

Since we've had time to review the results following the change, we are happy that it has led to an improvement in search results for customers.

That's great and all very positive.  But changes such as this result in a lot of (unnecessary) work for contributors! Now perhaps time to address the points made by several posters here and provide us with the ability to append data to keyword fields?

You already can: ask memberservice for a .csv file and append the data in Excel.

wim

You already can: ask memberservice for a .csv file and append the data in Excel.

wim

Thanks Wim.  I wasn't 100% certain that they would supply this.  It would be very useful, but it would be much easier/quicker to have the facility already there in Manage Images, no?

wim

Thanks Wim.  I wasn't 100% certain that they would supply this.  It would be very useful, but it would be much easier/quicker to have the facility already there in Manage Images, no?

Of course. And I can think of a dozen or two other things that could be done to improve Manage Images 2.X.

Don't get me started, it was such a nice weekend so far ;-)

wim

Archived