Fuji XT 1 battery life

I've recently purchased a Fuji XT 1 and i'm surprised how quickly the batteries get exhausted. The battery lasts for only about 50-100 shots, and that's without constant reviews, zooming at images etc. I haven't got the camera set on High Performance Mode either. 

I am using expro batteries.

How long does everyone else's batteries last for and what make are they.

Cheers, John.

I use Hahnel batteries (2-3 years old) in my X-T1. I lost my Fuji original somewhere in France.

My guess is that I get probably 300ish (usually over several sessions) but I do not feel that battery life is particularly poor, I can cope with changing battery every 250-300 shots or so. I usually have a couple of spares with me and I can't remember when I last used a third battery. I have high-performance on and power save set to 2min but i usually turn the power switch off when I am not shooting, I do it instinctively now, I always carry the camera in my hand and switch it back on as I lift it to my eye. I use the viewfinder most of the time and I very, very rarely chimp or shoot bursts (even on sport).

What Martin said. I do have my original battery, but also bought a Wasabi charger that came with 2 batteries from Amazon. Nice price, also. I feel confident enough to leave the house with just the camera and a fully charged battery, no spares. Unless I'm going out of town. But then I seldom shoot large numbers of images in one day.

I've recently purchased a Fuji XT 1 and i'm surprised how quickly the batteries get exhausted.

That's one of a number of reasons why I ditched the X-T1 almost as soon as I bought it.

Alan

I can take it out hiking for a day and normally only use one battery, 250-300 shots. I carry a one spare but do have up to 5 for multi day walks. Camera = 400g, battery 50g approx. The difference in weight between a DSLR and the X-T1 means you could probably carry 6-8 batteries and still weigh less. Of course, I always used to carry a spare for the DSLR as well so no change really (other than weight).

Same with the A7rii as well...... DSLR would last the same time if you had it on live view all the time I guess. 

Same with the A7rii as well...... DSLR would last the same time if you had it on live view all the time I guess. 

I regularly shoot 800+ images on a 5D2 in a three to four hour period all done with live view and barely make a 25% dent in a pair of batteries in a grip. I would love to get a smaller camera but battery life is one major negative for commercial jobs.

The battery grip with the XT-1 is supposed to give you about 700 shots all in but a friend also complains about it not living up to 'spec'.

Agreed with the 300+ average. On hikes etc I normally carry a spare for the day but don't often use it. It gets used a lot for covering motorsports events these days - last weekend in cold weather, high performance on, lots of continuous AF (zone & spot) - I did change the battery late in the day as a precaution when it dropped to two 'bars' but I would estimate that the first battery still gave over 300 shots. I'm quite happy to live with the battery life and carry spares to get the benefits that the X-T1 gives (I think it's 'bye, bye' to my Nikon D800 this year - hardly gets used now). 

Agreed with the 300+ average. On hikes etc I normally carry a spare for the day but don't often use it. It gets used a lot for covering motorsports events these days - last weekend in cold weather, high performance on, lots of continuous AF (zone & spot) - I did change the battery late in the day as a precaution when it dropped to two 'bars' but I would estimate that the first battery still gave over 300 shots. I'm quite happy to live with the battery life and carry spares to get the benefits that the X-T1 gives (I think it's 'bye, bye' to my Nikon D800 this year - hardly gets used now).

I came to the same conclusion as you. With Fuji introducing 24mp cameras now, (waiting for the X-T2) I feel no need for my D800's 36mp, which was overkill. I've always considered 20-24 mp perfect.

I've sold the camera and all the lenses except my 80-400 just in the past couple of weeks. The money is waiting for the X-T2 and macro lens. I've already received the 100-400. Fuji put the fun back into photography for me.

Betty

The Fuji X-T1 puts a grin on my face everytime I pick it up (especially with a small prime). Even when I am not planning to shoot with it! It is just a tactile pleasure; it just feels so right.

As a result I have done more photography in last couple of years or so than in the previous five, or more! These days I have a camera to hand 95% of the time, or more; the Fuji is just so light and compact. It feels like photography was when I was 18 and just starting out. I have rediscovered the buzz that draw me into photography in the first place. First and foremost it is about photography, equipment, making money or gaining awards is merely a bonus.

My journey from being a committed Canon photographer for 40 years ends with this chapter: I am now purely a Fuji photographer. Everything else is gone. I have chronicled my transition from Canon to Fuji in a series of articles of which that is the last. It was the right move for me but I accept (as other articles suggest) that it is not right for everyone, each must make their own decision. All I can do is share my experience, my thinking and hope some people may find it useful.

I regularly shoot 800+ images on a 5D2 in a three to four hour period all done with live view and barely make a 25% dent in a pair of batteries in a grip. I would love to get a smaller camera but battery life is one major negative for commercial jobs.

The battery grip with the XT-1 is supposed to give you about 700 shots all in but a friend also complains about it not living up to 'spec'.

I use the battery grip for the X-T1 and the A7rii when working in the studio. They do take you to a good 600+ shots. The Sony one is better for one reason alone, the two batteries are in the grip whereas the there is one in camera and one in the grip for the X-T1. This means you have to remove the grip to change the battery in the camera for the X-T1. This is a bit of a pain.

The Sony A7rii grip has a quick release tray that comes out of the grip even when attached to a tripod / magic arm etc which means it is only a couple of seconds to change them both. Saves a load of hassle when you've taken the time to get the camera into position.

Edit. Just as a side note. When I'm shooting clips or for prolonged shoots (Sony cameras) where you don't want the hassle of changing batteries (footage is battery intensive), I use a Anker battery pack that attaches to the camera via the usb socket. This is like attaching 10-15 batteries at once. Works great for studio work and footage if the camera is on the tripod / magic arm,

Edit. Just as a side note. When I'm shooting clips or for prolonged shoots where you don't want the hassle of changing batteries (footage is battery intensive), I use a Anker battery pack that attaches to the camera via the usb socket. This is like attaching 10-15 batteries at once. Works great for studio work and footage if the camera is on the tripod / magic arm,

Duncan are you saying the Fuji will take power from the USB? If so I'm just about to order some packs thank you

Edit. Just as a side note. When I'm shooting clips or for prolonged shoots where you don't want the hassle of changing batteries (footage is battery intensive), I use a Anker battery pack that attaches to the camera via the usb socket. This is like attaching 10-15 batteries at once. Works great for studio work and footage if the camera is on the tripod / magic arm,

Duncan are you saying the Fuji will take power from the USB? If so I'm just about to order some packs thank you

The X-T1 doesn't support charging/power from the USB connector. The X100T does but not the X-T1 or T-10. I've amended the post above to make that clearer.

It's one of the features I like about the Sony cameras, you have the option to switch this on and it means you can run the camera for hours with screen on etc.

The Fuji X-T1 puts a grin on my face everytime I pick it up (especially with a small prime). Even when I am not planning to shoot with it! It is just a tactile pleasure; it just feels so right.

As a result I have done more photography in last couple of years or so than in the previous five, or more! These days I have a camera to hand 95% of the time, or more; the Fuji is just so light and compact. It feels like photography was when I was 18 and just starting out. I have rediscovered the buzz that draw me into photography in the first place. First and foremost it is about photography, equipment, making money or gaining awards is merely a bonus.

My journey from being a committed Canon photographer for 40 years ends with this chapter: I am now purely a Fuji photographer. Everything else is gone. I have chronicled my transition from Canon to Fuji in a series of articles of which that is the last. It was the right move for me but I accept (as other articles suggest) that it is not right for everyone, each must make their own decision. All I can do is share my experience, my thinking and hope some people may find it useful.

Sold the last piece of Nikon gear today. All Fuji and Sony RX100, 100-3 now. :) Off to post the lens tomorrow, my last Nikon chore.

I've recently purchased a Fuji XT 1 and i'm surprised how quickly the batteries get exhausted. The battery lasts for only about 50-100 shots, and that's without constant reviews, zooming at images etc. I haven't got the camera set on High Performance Mode either. 

I am using expro batteries.

How long does everyone else's batteries last for and what make are they.

Cheers, John.

My impression is that there is a fault here. i seem to get about 300+ shots and often forget a spare battery

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I have just charged up the original Fuji battery and I will monitor that to see how long it lasts.

I have been using the ExPro batteries and I think that their capacity isn't as great as the original Fuji (understandably, as they are 25% of the price of the Fuji).

The old adage springs to mind; "buy cheap, buy twice"

John.

Archived