Hi all

I have been a volunteer warden for Herefordshire Wildlife Trust for the past 15 years and i am thinking of of doing a picture book of images that i have taken on the reserve i look after, with Bookwright formerly Blurb. The question is as several of the images that i wish to use are with Alamy do i need to seek permission from them for the use of images.

But Alamy isn't an exclusive agency. Not that it's come up, but I work on the basis that I can licence elsewhere any image I have with Alamy. Am I wrong?

You can sell an exclusive RM license if the buyer wants it and you agree. It's one of the license options when you upload. As I understand it, if you allow exclusive then Alamy can sell and exclusive license (with limitations) without referring to you. If you don't allow exclusive licenses then Alamy have to come back to you to ask. I have no personal experience of exclusive licenses.

But Alamy isn't an exclusive agency. Not that it's come up, but I work on the basis that I can licence elsewhere any image I have with Alamy. Am I wrong?

You can sell an exclusive RM license if the buyer wants it and you agree. It's one of the license options when you upload. As I understand it, if you allow exclusive then Alamy can sell and exclusive license (with limitations) without referring to you. If you don't allow exclusive licenses then Alamy have to come back to you to ask. I have no personal experience of exclusive licenses.

You are, of course, correct in the case of an exclusive sale in the period the contract covers. It will occur rarely, though.

Do some research before you pay out for Blurb. I have read lots of horror stories, and a friend of mine here paid good money for a Blurb photobook and it was the poorest quality photo product I have ever seen. Other people have no trouble. This was a 3-4 years ago so maybe they are good now, but do some internet reading before you make your book. 

Do some research before you pay out for Blurb. I have read lots of horror stories, and a friend of mine here paid good money for a Blurb photobook and it was the poorest quality photo product I have ever seen. Other people have no trouble. This was a 3-4 years ago so maybe they are good now, but do some internet reading before you make your book. 

I have read that Blurb can be hit and miss but I've just done my 10th Blurb book and have only praise for Blurb.

I haven't received a copy of it yet, it will arrive on Thursday, but all previous books have been superb.

The only disappointment was when they dropped the glossy paper a book ago. I just loved it.

This time I went for the ProLine Pearl paper which has a touch of gloss. I can' wait for Thursday to see the results.

For those interested, here's my latest baby:

http://au.blurb.com/books/6923253-australia

Liam, you will have fun making a Blurb book. Lots of work but highly rewarding. Good luck whichever route you choose!

Hi all

I have been a volunteer warden for Herefordshire Wildlife Trust for the past 15 years and i am thinking of of doing a picture book of images that i have taken on the reserve i look after, with Bookwright formerly Blurb. The question is as several of the images that i wish to use are with Alamy do i need to seek permission from them for the use of images.

You don't seek permission from Alamy....quite the opposite, you are the rights holder and management of those rights is down to you.

On the subject of books, client projects have been done using CEWE i.e. BobsBooks or Jessops. Nice quality especially the stay flat ones...... A lot of work which is why I tend to run a mile.

Archived