Any Plant or Animal Photographer on the Forum

Dear fellow photographers

I would be interested to know about any nature photographers on this forum, especially interested in photography of plants, animal especially birds. I would help in improving our technique through exchange of experiences and knowledge. I am a Plant taxonomist, having taken to digital photography from 2005. Have rich collection of photographs from USA, mainly California, Western Himalayas including Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jammu & Kashmir, and Recently Bangalore, all in India.

Good looking pictures Gurchuran. I have had some success with plants and insects here. The only comment I would make from a technique perspective is to try and avoid bright sunlight. It can work occasionally but generally with bright colours it produces too much contrast and tends to blow out the red channel, leading to loss of colour information or underexposure to compensate.

Regarding keywords,  try to avoid putting in whats not in the picture, for example if its a flower close up dont use "pinnate leaves" in the keywords.

Best of luck, sounds like you have an interesting collection.

Hi Gurcharan

Another plant and animal (well, mostly insects) photographer here.  Good looking collection you've got there but you've got a number of almost identical shots with only slight cropping differences.  At this stage it's best to be ruthless and only submit the best one.  The other thing you don't have at the moment is a lot of portrait (vertical) shots.  It's not always possible to take them all but if you can include a mix of landscape and portrait, wider and close up shots you give the buyers a better choice.  With cultivated plants it's also always best to include the name of the cultivar if you know it.  Buyers can be extremely selective.  They are often looking for an image of a specific cultivar to illustrate an article.  That certainly shows up in my searches, views and sales.

You'll need a good range and a good number of good images to get regular sales.  One of the things I did when I first started contributing to Alamy two years ago was to check the competition for any image I thought of submitting.  If there were a lot of similar images - ie same species and cultivar for plants - I only submitted my very best shot.  If the number of images was considerably less I might submit two or three.  Only if there was no competition at all would I submit a larger number of shots (assuming I had them).  Life gets a bit easier if you attain, via sales and zooms, a decent ranking.  Then, on the principal that a rising tide floats all boats, you can afford to submit more images of popular subjects knowing yours will be pushed towards the front of the queue for the buyer's attention.

John

And here's another one (in fact, Arterra is a little agency) who deals in nature (wildlife, plants, behavior, the whole shebang) ;)

Just back from a week shooting wildlife in the snow. WOEHA!

And now I have a running nose  :wacko: 

Cheers,

Philippe

Don't forget to take a picture of your running nose. It may sell better than any of those nice fluffy animals.

wim

Moose + moose =

............................................................................euh.............. what's the plural of "moose"?  :wacko:

Cheers,

Philippe

moose

And here's another one (in fact, Arterra is a little agency) who deals in nature (wildlife, plants, behavior, the whole shebang) ;)

Just back from a week shooting wildlife in the snow. WOEHA!

And now I have a running nose  :wacko: 

Cheers,

Philippe

Don't forget to take a picture of your running nose. It may sell better than any of those nice fluffy animals.

wim

Nah, Alamy has already plenty of running noses. On the other hand, there seems to be zero pictures of .......... close up shots of pedicel scars on a moose's head  ;)

nor headbutting mice

............................................................................euh.............. what's the plural of "moose"?  :wacko:

Cheers,

Philippe

Not sure there are enough: a close up of just a runny nose? Blowing one's nose? A nice MR wide angle close-up shot?

Moose:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/moose?s=t

wim

Meece? Mooses?  ;-)

I also primarily do nature photography. You have a lot of great photos by the way Philippe.

Sadly Wim may actually be right that a closeup of a running nose will probably sell better than most pictures of obscure animal and plant species...

Archived