Proof of ownership

Hi - I've been asked by a lawyer handling an infringement to send him either the RAW file or the relevant metadata as proof of ownership. I don't particularly want to send the RAW file - is there any way of copying/printing the metadata, or exporting it and turning it into a PDF? I can't seem to do it in Lightroom or from Photoshop - any suggestions? (Mac)

Thanks,

Alex

If you open the raw file in Photoshop, then go File - File Info, you will see a series of tabs with various bits of information about your file. The tabs that show depend on what options you have set - on my CS6 there is an arrow at the top right which allows you to show and hide the various tabs. I would guess the info you need is under Raw Data and the Advanced tabs. Not sure what you need but the Schema subsection under Advanced shows presumably unalterable info about the camera including the serial number and the shutter actuation count among other things. You can export this as xmp or take a screenshot. If you really had to prove ownership, then maybe you would have to send the original file which would be indisputable evidence of ownership I assume.

In Lightroom: Ctrl+S will save the information to an .xmp file containing all metadata.

Sure but the xmp file contains a large amount of information and is difficult to read as well as easily edited. The Schema section in PS File Info is very easy to read and is not easily edited (at least to the extent required here as what would seem to be a very simple indication of ownership). 

Don't bother with EXIF or raw...

just point them at somewhere they can see your name with the image in question and then refer them to section 104.

The onus is on them to prove you are NOT the creator/owner

Make them do the work, not you

km

Great advice - lawyers always seem inclined to get their clients to do everything "just in case"... as it doesn't cost them anything!

In Lightroom: Ctrl+S will save the information to an .xmp file containing all metadata.

Sure but the xmp file contains a large amount of information and is difficult to read as well as easily edited. The Schema section in PS File Info is very easy to read and is not easily edited (at least to the extent required here as what would seem to be a very simple indication of ownership). 

Fair point.

Don't bother with EXIF or raw...

just point them at somewhere they can see your name with the image in question and then refer them to section 104.

The onus is on them to prove you are NOT the creator/owner

Make them do the work, not you

km

Even fairer!

Point out that a "statement of truth" is sufficient for the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and provide them with statement of truth along the lines of:

This is a statement of truth.

I declare that the image (ref. No, XXXXXXXXXX) as seen at my website (Link) is my intellectual property.

Signature: _____________________        Date: ___________________

The good news is that the defendant is spending money on a solicitor and they are therefore taking the matter seriously and will cost them more in the end.  It is hard to say if the solicitor actually believes that a RAW file is needed as proof (If you don't have the RAW they then claim that you are not a real professional)* as it is one of the standard approaches infringers use as a counter to a claim (apparently there are more people making spurious copyright claims that infringers sic).  The other good news is if it goes to court the judges at the IPEC are sick of reading all standard infringer arguments as seen on the internet and it does the infringers case no good. 

*even if you have the RAW just don't go there it will just encourage them to pull more stunts.

Good luck

Archived