16:9 ratio images?

Last summer I spent a lot of time editing pictures for a widescreen (normal screen now?) TV slideshow presentation at 16:9.
Then, when I went back to viewing at 3:2 I found the view wasn't as pleasing.

The question I pose for you good folks is... 

Is there, or is there likely to be a market for 16:9 images?

A while ago I shot of lot pictures of writers and poets doing readings. Many were vertical and 3:2 was too tall - I cropped many to 4:3 or even 5:4. I started composing for that crop in camera (while shooting at 3:2)

So I now take the view that I crop to what works best although for most subjects  (people, urban, travel, sport) I tend to stay close to 3:2 which is how I have been seeing the world for over 40 years!

That said I don't see too many 16:9 images in magazines (sometimes across the top of a DPS) or on the web. But if the images works best at that format why not try? You could always crop a 4:3 or 3:2 out of it (or vice versa) and submit it as well. Might just give you an edge ...

I can choose the different ratios on my RX10, but if I am using 16:9 and I turn the camera 180 degrees, which I often do, it stays 16:9 vertically... not a pretty sight.
When I first went digital I had been shooting and printing mainly B/W for many years and relished the fast composition opportunities which the digital darkroom gave me... until I wanted to print and my freeform beauties became bespoke (expensive) print or framing sizes.
I did have a sale in December with a square format image, which I don't usually upload, so I might try different options from now on, but shoot at 2:3 with a view to re-composing in post..

• 1 year later...

As a newbie, I'm thinking about framing, does anyone take images purely for front covers or compose for allowing text etc as well as a full frame of the subject.. I know i'm thinking well ahead but just wondered what people shoot.

York Photographer and arterra, thank you for a speedy reply, sometimes the composition doesn't lend itself to wide without getting unsightly items in, I presume they can be removed in Lightroom ? I am about to embark on the Lightroom learning curve so another challenge awaits.

A while ago I shot of lot pictures of writers and poets doing readings. Many were vertical and 3:2 was too tall - I cropped many to 4:3 or even 5:4. I started composing for that crop in camera (while shooting at 3:2)

So I now take the view that I crop to what works best although for most subjects  (people, urban, travel, sport) I tend to stay close to 3:2 which is how I have been seeing the world for over 40 years!

That said I don't see too many 16:9 images in magazines (sometimes across the top of a DPS) or on the web. But if the images works best at that format why not try? You could always crop a 4:3 or 3:2 out of it (or vice versa) and submit it as well. Might just give you an edge ...

I have noticed since I posted this that many web sites (esp BBC) are using a wider format (BBC use 16:9) for their images, even from still originals. It may of course be so that layout is consistent alongside HD format video.

16:9 is my favourite format when I seek to produce a cinematic effect as it lends itself ideally to such images. I have a few on Alamy which are yet to sell but I've had some success elsewhere with such renditions.

16:9 is the HDTV format.  4:3 was the old TV screen. 35mm was/is 3:2. Websites are not standard nor are computer screens, are they? So there are many influences. Richard Avedon used a Rolli 6x6 for most of his fashion work. 

A preconceived idea of shape is not my first consideration when shooting. Now that my files are larger and Alamy's requirements are for smaller files, I do more cropping than I used to. I think the bottom line here is to remain flexible, no? 

Archived