I wonder how many images Alamy sells?

I have regular sales and know of at least one other contributor who has a much higher number of monthly sales.  

Neither of us have our sales spotted very often on the 'Have you found any Images' threads so it makes me wonder just how many images Alamy sells/licences on a regular basis.

I'm guessing it's rather a lot :)

I guessed it had to be an awful lot.  Every month you only have to look at the large range of magazines for sale - racks and racks of them.  All full of images covering just about every subject you can think of.  

Add to this the daily papers, trade mags, and books etc, then multiply this across the world and the monthly figure must be astounding.   :o

I also think quit a lot.

As far i remember from the past they pay around 15 million to contributors per year. Also it was mentioned that the top contributors earn over 200k per year. For sure money is to make on Alamy otherwise there would be not that many contributors doing the extra effort to upload here plus adjusting to the different keywording system.

Mirco

Looking at All of Alamy in Alamy Measures, I count about 1800 sales for the past month, which would be 22,000 or so for the year if the past month is average and if this method of counting is anywhere near accurate.

Looking at All of Alamy in Alamy Measures, I count about 1800 sales for the past month, which would be 22,000 or so for the year if the past month is average and if this method of counting is anywhere near accurate.

A of A is only a selection of the total data. This is most probably to stop other agencies having open access to Alamys performance.

Hello John :) ,

You have regular sales. Many others also have so it shows that Alamy like you say license a lot. For me it is my main agency and the rest where is submit to are for like distributors. I choose Alamy as my main for the reasons that i dont need to limit myself only to the "wishlist" of the Agency. Off course i try to also adjust to the real topics to get more sales but i still can say that it is a nice feeling that you can send also your extra images taken while your were not doing the "real" work. This kind of images also makes sales for me. Next to that of course the higher revenue and the service. Alamy feels like real photography.

Mirco

That would only be a small percentage of actual sales because it only shows as a sale if the image is bought right away. If you look at the information on the right of the screen you will see that SALES are...

The number of sales we can reliably attribute to a search term for the time period specified. Sales data is not comprehensive because the nature of customer activity means that we cannot link all sales to search terms.

Paulette

Not even that. I have even direct sales (i know because they where sold two days after upload) that are not registered in All Of Alamy. It is also like Michael said that only a selection of clients are registering the sales.

Mirco

I also think quit a lot.

As far i remember from the past they pay around 15 million to contributors per year. Also it was mentioned that the top contributors earn over 200k per year. For sure money is to make on Alamy otherwise there would be not that many contributors doing the extra effort to upload here plus adjusting to the different keywording system.

Mirco

It would have been around that figure in 2008 (in dollars) - this was a bumper year and commission rate was 60%. For 2014 the payout would have been a bit under $11m.

Annual revenue has been pretty constant since 2008 at 15m GBP give or take a few hundred K - that's about $22.3m.

To get a rough idea how many images were sold in 2014 divide turnover by your average fee for the year - assuming your sales are pretty average.

Archived