I never do describe an image as Landscape or Portrait, etc,  the Alamy software picks this up from the geometry of the shot.

I do normally refer to a panorama/panoramic view as such because I suspect that some customers will search for this by name.

The decision I make is if the image can be regarded as a 'landscape' in the classical sense of a painting rather than as a format. I would use also 'cityscape', 'seascape', 'skycap' . I have sold several images where the search term has been "Donegal landscape" for example where the researcher obviously meant land rather than format. 

I have, I believe, also coined the term 'foodscape' which I sometimes use in Stockimo images. 

I believe that it is down to your creative interpretation of the subject as to whether you take the shot in landscape or portrait. I have often taken a shot in one only to change it to the other during processing. If a shot is particularly targeted at a specific editorial use and they have a need or bias to one format then that could be your answer.

dov

The decision I make is if the image can be regarded as a 'landscape' in the classical sense of a painting rather than as a format. I would use also 'cityscape', 'seascape', 'skycap' . I have sold several images where the search term has been "Donegal landscape" for example where the researcher obviously meant land rather than format. 

I have, I believe, also coined the term 'foodscape' which I sometimes use in Stockimo images. 

And there is manscape and blandscape - meanings should be self-evident - vast numbers of blandscapes out there. I thought I had coined these as well until I did a google search.

As for the original question, I try to remember to include landscape where relevant even if the format is portrait - I've certainly had zooms if not sales on "Irish landscape".

I only use the keyword "landscape" if the subject of the photograph is a landscape. I never use it for the orientation of the image since that can be found via the search engine.

Interesting in All of Alamy that "Landscape" as the first and only keyword was used 52 times in the past year, but "landscapes" was used 72 times.  Why I wonder?

"landscape" along with a second word was used nothing like as frequently eg "Winter landscape" 16 times and "Africa landscape" 9 times

Kumar

I only use the keyword "landscape" if the subject of the photograph is a landscape. I never use it for the orientation of the image since that can be found via the search engine.

Interesting in All of Alamy that "Landscape" as the first and only keyword was used 52 times in the past year, but "landscapes" was used 72 times.  Why I wonder?

"landscape" along with a second word was used nothing like as frequently eg "Winter landscape" 16 times and "Africa landscape" 9 times

Kumar

A search for "landscape" alone brings up a mere 4.6 million hits.

There was a time, I believe, before Alamy had an automatic way of determining orientation, when I felt it necessary to keyword the orientation. I usually used vertical/horizontal, since "portrait" to my way of thinking, meant a portrait of something alive and breathing.

Archived