taking pictures of people on the street

Hello can someone please help me understand Alamys model policy. If I take a picture of a person in the street say a homeless person or a person just stood against a wall do I need their permission to sell the picture.

Thanks

Nick

So . . . you just select RM for images of strangers when you don't have a model release. And even if you show just a small part of a person--a foot, a hand-- you still need to select RM or have a model release. 

Also, Nick, it would be wise not to call someone a "homeless person" unless you know for a fact that they are homeless. That assumption could be construed as libel.

See examples. The man sleeping on the bench in the Union Square Subway station may indeed be homeless . . . but I've not made that assumption. The man with the sign states clearly that's he is homeless, so homeless is in my keywords. 

old-man-sleeping-on-a-bench-in-union-squ  homeless-man-with-a-hand-written-sign-ha

So . . . you just select RM for images of strangers when you don't have a model release. And even if you show just a small part of a person--a foot, a hand-- you still need to select RM or have a model release. 

Also, Nick, it would be wise not to call someone a "homeless person" unless you know for a fact that they are homeless. That assumption could be construed as libel.

See examples. The man sleeping on the bench in the Union Square Subway station may indeed be homeless . . . but I've not made that assumption. The man with the sign states clearly that's he is homeless, so homeless is in my keywords. 

old-man-sleeping-on-a-bench-in-union-squ  homeless-man-with-a-hand-written-sign-ha

I think this is very good advice and is the same as I do. I have no issues with taking pictures of random strangers (usually with quite a long lens so they are not aware that I am photographing them).. but it's RM all the way when it comes to the license. I haven't yet had the balls to go up to some random stranger and ask them to fill in a model release (even though I have a handy app for such occasions on my phone).. but you never know.. someone like the homeless guy might be quite obliging to fill in a model release in return for a couple of dollars/pounds/<<your currency here>> in his plastic cup.

I always feel guilty photographing homeless people, especially since I could easily become one myself given Vancouver's outrageously expensive housing market. Asking a down-and-out person to sign a model release sounds like adding insult to injury.

I do agree.. so I'd always give something in return.

I always feel guilty photographing homeless people, especially since I could easily become one myself given Vancouver's outrageously expensive housing market. Asking a down-and-out person to sign a model release sounds like adding insult to injury.

I haven't any images of homeless people. Even if I buy their street paper, Big Issue, or the Danish equivalent Hus Forbi, something stops me from taking their photo.

- and Matt and John, they wouldn't be able to sign a model release. It requires an address and contact information.

I haven't any images of homeless people. Even if I buy their street paper, Big Issue, or the Danish equivalent Hus Forbi, something stops me from taking their photo.

- and Matt and John, they wouldn't be able to sign a model release. It requires an address and contact information.

I don't photograph them either any longer, even though there is demand for these types of photos, some of it from street papers like the one that you mentioned. I had one of these non-profit newspapers contact me directly not long ago. However, they ended up finding the photo they wanted somewhere else, which was a relief because I had no idea how much or even if I should charge them.

Being primarily an editorial photographer, I have never used model releases. Also, I seem to have an irrational dislike of legal documents. Silly, I know.

There was a case here where a newspaper published an image of a chap with an article about homelessness. It turned out he was an executive from a stock exchange noted company on his day off. Fortunately for the paper he had a sense of humour.

BTW if you know there is demand for a certain kind of image... and you dont want to use people outside the business in that situation, why not just compose the scene yourself with models?

Or submit a few selfies. I've got the right wardrobe.  B)

Good suggestion, thanks, but I'm not ambitious enough at this late stage of the game.

P.S. Also, people looking for this type of imagery (i.e. social/economic issues) will want to see authentic reportage, not fake stock scenarios.

Archived