I file my own DACS claim, but I received an e-mail today from Alamy asking me if I would like them to claim two 2014 TV uses for me. Sounds like a good idea to me because I find the TV part of the DACS form impossible to fill out. Is anyone else letting Alamy do the work for just TV claims?

Yes, I've agreed that Alamy can make a payback claim for my TV sales, but I am the only one claiming for books and magazines. Otherwise DACs and Alamy and myself would have to have an awkward conversation about who gets what split as we are not allowed double dipping from this year onwards. It's only fair although it is yet another bit of my revenue reducing.

I have made my own claim to DACS for several years and so declined Alamy's offer to do it for me.  (After all, I know how to do it and Alamy do charge 50%).

Later I got an e-mail from Alamy offering to make a DACS claim for me for a Sale of one image to TV.

Again I declined.

The licence details included the fact that the sale had been made to ITV and for up to two transmissions.

I telephoned DACS, and they were most helpful.   They need to know that the "Region" is UK.   They confirmed that ITV is acceptable to them.

I completed the claim and have subsequently had an e-mail from DACS.  Confirming that it is OK.

"You are still allowed double dipping, but ONLY if the combined points value of the claims comes to less that 240..."

Hi Keith,

Would you care to elaborate- specifically the numerical points value and how its worked out. 

Many thanks

Regen

My TV usage details for 2014 look like this (see below), so it's pretty well impossible for me to fill out the DACS form.

Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 04 December 2014
End: 04 December 2024
World, All Media in perpetuity

My TV usage details for 2014 look like this (see below), so it's pretty well impossible for me to fill out the DACS form.

Usage: Editorial
Media: Television (editorial)
Print run: Unlimited transmissions
Placement: Use within body of show
Start: 04 December 2014
End: 04 December 2024
World, All Media in perpetuity

So why not ask Alamy to provide you with the details required ie the name of the channel- they must have the info for them to make a claim so you are entitled to the same info.  TV claims only last for the year and are the most profitable part of the dacs claim.

Regen

I do my own DACS claim but have agreed for Alamy to claim the TV licenses for me. Alamy tells me I have 11 TV broadcasts to claim for. I can only find 6 in my sales reports and the channel mentioned (More4) does not appear on the DACS claim form so I didn't include them in my own claim. I wasn't aware TV license payback was more valuable than books/magazines so this could be good news ...

Better to get 50% of 11 x payback for TV licenses than 100% of nothing I say. 

For those not claiming DACS themselves, it really is much easier than you think. Go for it ! The people at DACS are very helpful, especially to people who have never claimed before.

so, still things to learn about DACs. I hadn't realised either that TV claims were more valuable. I wait to see what Alamy comes up with. I do think it would be fair and helpful of they flagged up the fact that it was a DACs payment on the sales report come December or January, it is a bit of a special case. Also, I had not noticed the detail on the claim notes pointed out by Keith Morris for combined claims for under 240. I can see the sense of that just about, but it does throw in a considerable extra complication. Direct sales from my collection to publishers has been a big part of my operation for more years than I care to specify so my numbers would be towards the top end.

Of course there are seriously successful photographers who's numbers would be off the scale. I remember a couple of long-running magazines where I would be pleased to have a little clutch of three or four snaps published, but my euphoria would almost always be crushed by seeing that Michael Holford had many more. Hard to begrudge him the numbers 'cause he's such a nice chap and worked so hard.

Archived