Bank Fees

zone3

Hi

I asked this question to Alamy and they suggested I post it here too just to see if anyone else thinks it worth while.

I hate bank fees and when you don't have large sales each month it would be better for both sides I think to be able to hold off on payment until your account balance is large(er) or until you the artist wish to be paid. That could easily be a simple (month to be paid) button.

It would allow to the artist to reduce bank fee and I assume less paperwork for alamy

I see many use paypal too ..I don't have an account so i would to hear how they work if hat is an option to reduce fees...I am in canada if that helps in fees to PP to bank

thanks

Scott

With Paypal you will get a lower rate of exchange, so you sure are going to pay at all costs (and they wiill be yours). These bank fees are country specific, but I am quite sure you will get a proper reply from a fellow Canadian, John Mitchell :)

Thank you both...

Jill can you give me a break down of how PP works...do they charge a fee for Alamy to send them cash( onto me) and will my bank then change me another fee to accept..?

If you use $100 as an example....or would that be pounds?

I have my Getty payments going straight into my account...they( bank) charge 14$ each time..kind of getting tired of all the fees..they certainly can build up fast.

thanks

Here is something interesting, for some reason Paypal is not charging me a fee for my Alamy deposits, yet I have a charge on all my other ones from my website or people I have sent invoices to.

Anyone else notice this in their Paypal account? 

Paypal is quite simple.  You set up an account (you have to provide a credit card number to verify who you are). What they do is make a $1 charge to your card that includes a number and when you check you statement you have to put that number in to activate your paypal account.

You provide Alamy with your paypal email address and they sent your money to you. Easy peasy.

You can have your default currency set to just about any currency, but I of course have mine set to Canadian dollars as that is the currency I use on my website.

Since Alamy sends you your money in USD, once you want to download to your bank account (again this has to be verified before they will send it there), you simply convert the USD to CDN. My last payment was $90 USD and that converted to $111.75. I then transfer to my bank account.

Quite easy.  I have had my Paypal account since it began, so some things may have changed, but you can read the help pages there.

Jill

I'll take a chance and say something I am not positive about. I believe Alamy pays the PayPal fees. It was part of a discussion of bank fees years ago.

Paulette

Thanks Jill

For some reason I thought Alamy was British...and assumed pounds. I hate the US/CAN conversion so I guess a person could wait and accumulate US cash in their pay-pal account and convert at a more favourable time..if that ever happens again:)

scott

Alamy is a UK Company,  but sales are in US dollars. If converting, its a good time for buying CDN dollars. I got $111 Cdn for my $90 US.  We sure don't want the dollar to drop farther.  If the Canadian dollar goes up, you will get less for your US dollars.  

Jill

Thanks Jill

I hate the US/CAN conversion so I guess a person could wait and accumulate US cash in their pay-pal account and convert at a more favourable time..if that ever happens again:)

scott

In the past when I've received international payments through PayPal the money appeared in my account as US dollars. Maybe that's because my address is in the US. Maybe there's a setting somewhere.

You can choose when to withdraw PayPal money but I don't believe you can choose when the conversion is made. 

fD

Thanks Jill

I hate the US/CAN conversion so I guess a person could wait and accumulate US cash in their pay-pal account and convert at a more favourable time..if that ever happens again:)

scott

In the past when I've received international payments through PayPal the money appeared in my account as US dollars. Maybe that's because my address is in the US. Maybe there's a setting somewhere.

You can choose when to withdraw PayPal money but I don't believe you can choose when the conversion is made. 

fD

The money goes in everyone's account as USD. You do have to select currencies that you will accept beforehand.  You can convert the USD anytime you want. They stay in your account as USD until you convert them to your home currency.  I usually wait until I am going to deposit to my bank account before I convert, as I often shop in US online stores so will use the USD in my Paypal account to pay at websites that only take USD.

I currently accept CDN, USD, Euros, and Pounds in my Paypal account.

Jill

Like Jill, I use PayPal and accept a number of currencies. No fees have been charged for Alamy payments and no problems so far. The Alamy funds are slow to arrive, though.

I used to receive wire payments from Alamy, but I got sick of paying US $15 to my rich Canadian bank (RBC) for each incoming transfer. Wire transfers were much quicker, and I miss having those valuable greenbacks in my USD account. For some reason, you have to convert to CAD when transferring US funds from PayPal to a Canadian bank.

However, as Jill mentioned you can use those virtual USD in your PP account to go on an online shopping spree.

ACH doesn't work in Canada, unfortunately.

Thanks Everyone

Just curious which day of the month Alamy makes deposites. Someone also mentioned that they are slow with paypal....how slow?

scott

Also...on a different note..does anyone else have issues logging in with firefox?...I haven't been able to for months...I alwasy have to use safari

Thanks Everyone

Just curious which day of the month Alamy makes deposites. Someone also mentioned that they are slow with paypal....how slow?

scott

Also...on a different note..does anyone else have issues logging in with firefox?...I haven't been able to for months...I alwasy have to use safari

The first working day for UK bank transfers, it usually clears on the fourth.

For us Canadians, it's usually 11-15th of the month when you payment shows up. At least for me anyway.

Jill

Usually Around the 10-12th for me, then 3-4 days to transfer it from PayPal to my overdrawn bank account. :mellow:

For me, its 1-2 days from the time I withdraw till its in my bank account. Always within 2 days with the odd time it shows up the next day after withdrawal.

Jill

Archived