Very happy about distribution

MircoV

Hello fellow photographers,

I want to share that it is always good to check your distributors on Alamy before starting contract with new one. I wanted to begin to submit to a larger German agency. But when i was looking on their website i saw my images are allready online there coming from Alamy.

I am really pleased with that even that i have to share the split. I win time by not needing to upload to the other agency. Also i found a known Dutch one where my Alamy images are available. I know the Alamy distibutors list very good now.

I just love the idea that i need only to upload to Alamy and photos are gone automatically to those other agencies. No much administration and no extra upload time.

I dont know.... i just felt to share that with you...... :) :) :) :)  Weekend started!!!

Mirco

Hello fellow photographers,

I want to share that it is always good to check your distributors on Alamy before starting contract with new one. I wanted to begin to submit to a larger German agency. But when i was looking on their website i saw my images are allready online there coming from Alamy.

I am really pleased with that even that i have to share the split. I win time by not needing to upload to the other agency. Also i found a known Dutch one where my Alamy images are available. I know the Alamy distibutors list very good now.

I just love the idea that i need only to upload to Alamy and photos are gone automatically to those other agencies. No much administration and no extra upload time.

I dont know.... i just felt to share that with you...... :) :) :) :)  Weekend started!!!

Mirco

I like your positive attitude, Mirco. My very first sale with Alamy was in Serbia and Montenegro. Not something I would have managed on my own. Most of the prices for my distributor sales have been good enough so that I don't feel so bad about the commission.

Paulette

I don't get any because I withdrew from the scheme. I just couldn't stomach two agents getting the lions share with the potential impropriety of third parties in far away places also a concern. My images are with Alamy, others can find them here if they want them badly enough.

I don't get any because I withdrew from the scheme. I just couldn't stomach two agents getting the lions share with the potential impropriety of third parties in far away places also a concern. My images are with Alamy, others can find them here if they want them badly enough.

I hear you, but I think that the distributor scheme is worthwhile (for me, anyway) because, as discussed on earlier threads, some buyers prefer to deal locally for a number of reasons -- i.e. they won't necessarily check Alamy directly. I used to get quite a few distributor sales, but they have been mysteriously declining for the past year or so.

of my 12 sales so far this month, 6 are to distributors - I do always tend to get a high number of distributor sales. The top three sales in amount are distributor sales too making my cut better than my top Alamy sale this month. But, these three are to a German distributor which I have noted previously does seem to get good prices. Definitely worth being in the scheme - my best sale last year was to a distributor in Russia of over $500. Sure I would have preferred it to be a direct sale but if I wasn't in the scheme that sale may never have happened.

The agencies where I get by far my best RPIs sell little from their own sites, it's all distribution - albeit the best distribution networks in the business. Customers in China or Korea won't come to Alamy to find images, yours or others, they shop locally as do a great deal of the world who surprisingly don't speak English or can be provided with local language invoices etc.

All you are doing is missing out on sales, not many at Alamy but, in principle, distribution is what sets the best paying agencies apart from the also rans.

Percentages are relative. A few years ago I put a lot of effort supplying an agent from whom I would receive 70% (maybe it was even more) of the sale price. Months of work from me and many others...income 70% of zero.

On Friday I received a payment from an agent form whom I get 30% of the sale price. Not a good percentage. But when the sale price is $25k you become less critical.

Anyone on Alamy had that for an image?

Alamy has indeed a very good agency from Germany. It is the largest in Germany. Starting with the letter M. Statistics say that per 50 magazines in DE there are 120 photos from this agency.

Alamy has indeed a very good agency from Germany. It is the largest in Germany. Starting with the letter M. Statistics say that per 50 magazines in DE there are 120 photos from this agency.

Interestingly enough, all my Germany sales (such as they are) have been directly through Alamy (and for decent prices). I'm attributing this to the fact that German buyers most likely feel comfortable working in English. But who knows? Countries such as Russia and China are another story, though. Photo buyers there are probably going to want to work with agencies in their own languages.

Hi Mirco,

being based in Germany most of my new work originates there as I do not travel so much these days.

I am also happy to see my work being distributed by M.......s, a large, traditional family owned picture library with years of experience in the market.

I believe ALAMY were going to open a  German Office, it would be nice to cut out the middle man, but doubt if it would work so well without the contacts which M.. has built up over the years!

Not all of us know the codes, could someone just tell me what M stands for? PM me if necessary. Thanks.

Edit- is it named after an island in the Indian Ocean?

Disappointing to see one's name stripped out of the credits there.

Personally very non-plussed about M, having had work with them via distribution for many, many years. They are not what they used to be for sure. What has made a big difference is having one agency in particular signed up to a certain search platform (let's stick wth P as the parent company) which means I see a multiple German sales per month - I was told that this platform was used by a very high percentage of German editorial searchers. I suspect that A...sorry Alamy, weren't signed up last time I was able to check, since they have a German language site.

And Dougie, people have historically made a lot of money at 30%...some still do.

Personally very non-plussed about M, having had work with them via distribution for many, many years. They are not what they used to be for sure. What has made a big difference is having one agency in particular signed up to a certain search platform (let's stick wth P as the parent company) which means I see a multiple German sales per month - I was told that this platform was used by a very high percentage of German editorial searchers. I suspect that A...sorry Alamy, weren't signed up last time I was able to check, since they have a German language site.

And Dougie, people have historically made a lot of money at 30%...some still do.

I can't see it ever being me even if I was in it. lol

Not all of us know the codes, could someone just tell me what M stands for? PM me if necessary. Thanks.

Edit- is it named after an island in the Indian Ocean?

Disappointing to see one's name stripped out of the credits there.

Yes Mark, that's the one! As for the credits, I suspect that it is too cumbersome to have 2 agency names plus the Tog!

Archived