Replacing images

I've heard it said occasionally that you can ask member services to swap a newly processed image for one already in your portfolio. My question is do you have to put the new image though QC first then ask member services, or contact MS first? What's the procedure?

Yes it does have to go through QC. Then ask for the keywords to be exchanged and the old one will magically vanish. But don't forget to add the old reference number to the new keywords in case someone has made a note of it.

If it has sold I wouldn't delete it at all, just add the new version, but in any case Alamy will relicense it to the same buyer under the old reference.

I remember replacing an image a while ago and the way I did it was to upload the new one and when it passed QC I added the Alamy code of the old image in the keywording of the new and deleted the old image myself.

Allan

But don't forget to add the old reference number to the new keywords in case someone has made a note of it.

If it has sold I wouldn't delete it at all, just add the new version, but in any case Alamy will relicense it to the same buyer under the old reference.

Good idea, will remember. I usually copy the keywords myself.

I remember replacing an image a while ago and the way I did it was to upload the new one and when it passed QC I added the Alamy code of the old image in the keywording of the new and deleted the old image myself.

Allan

If so, you will have to wait the three months (I think it is) for the image to disappear. If MS does it it will disappear at the next server update.

Usually now I replace an old one with a new one, leaving the old one in a lower pseudo for a year before deleting it. Not when there's an obvious failure like dust or CA, but when changing the look of the image.

In some cases clients have preferred the original one. Maybe to be able just to reprint an edition or because it matched images in use in the same campaign. However I may have been wrong in trying to update the look.

exhibit 1: sold 13 times for a total of $1365.

8 times/$1050 of which after uploading the replacement, that only has sold once for $37.60

(all gross)

exhibit 2: sold 10 times for a total of $1088

2 times/$140 of which after uploading the replacement, that has sold 3 times for $137

Like Mark and Allan, I include the old # in the new keywords and the new # in the keywords of the old image. Which remains there also after requesting deletion.

See E22NK8 vs EPHHPE where there was some CA and some dust, but also some change in the saturation and color in the sky in the new one.

wim

This image hasn't sold and as far as I know there isn't one in the pipeline. IMO my white balance was way off and left the colour a bit drab. Thanks for the pointers. I'll be sure to add the code to keywords.

Archived