TIFF files - IBM-PC or Macintosh byte order

Am I being a wuz?

Noticed today that when saving tiff files there is a box headed "byte order" and in the box you can opt for either IBM-PC or Macintosh. I have always saved as IBM-PC but now I am using a Mac should I be saving as Macintosh. There does not seem to be any problem with saving as IBM-PC on the Mac.

Or is it used mainly by the publishing/printing houses?

Allan

I think you'll find Allan isn't the only one here who would rather save a file he has worked on as a tiff instead of a jpg.

dd

Allan, I use a Mac and save digital files in PC order, mainly because I've encountered directions (not for agencies) to submit files that way, but don't recall ever getting directions to submit them in MAC order. Hope I haven't been misunderstanding the directions that say something along lines of 'save files for PC'! I save processed files as jpgs and tiffs, and rarely use LR.

If I learn of a compelling reason to save them in Mac order, I'd change, though, so I'll be following this thread - Ann

I think you'll find Allan isn't the only one here who would rather save a file he has worked on as a tiff instead of a jpg.

dd

Quite right DD. I can always go back to a tiff and rework it for other uses. With a jpeg I would lose some definition after reworking. Maybe not so much once or twice, but after that I think not.

I also save my RAWS as proof of ownership of the image should the worst happen.

Allan

EDIT I also save my jpeg uploads to the various libraries/POD sites. All differ in some way and it makes them easier to find in their own folders.

Allan, I use a Mac and save digital files in PC order, mainly because I've encountered directions (not for agencies) to submit files that way, but don't recall ever getting directions to submit them in MAC order. Hope I haven't been misunderstanding the directions that say something along lines of 'save files for PC'! I save processed files as jpgs and tiffs, and rarely use LR.

If I learn of a compelling reason to save them in Mac order, I'd change, though, so I'll be following this thread - Ann

Ann, Read Niels link. The last paragraph is paramount but the detail is most interesting.

Allan

dd

Quite right DD. I can always go back to a tiff and rework it for other uses. With a jpeg I would lose some definition after reworking. Maybe not so much once or twice, but after that I think not.

Allan

EDIT I also save my jpeg uploads to the various libraries/POD sites. All differ in some way and it makes them easier to find in their own folders.

I used to go to tiff before I had LR but there doesn't seem to be any point now.

I never alter the original file either, it just happens to be jpeg. There's no question that it's not mine, is there? Is there something I don't know?

dd

Allan

I used to go to tiff before I had LR but there doesn't seem to be any point now.

I never alter the original file either, it just happens to be jpeg. There's no question that it's not mine, is there? Is there something I don't know?

Not sure how you could prove the jpeg as source image as easily as a raw which is, AFAIK, a read only file. There's nothing in the metadata in the jpeg which can't be hacked whereas a raw also has the benefit of not being posted on the internet (well usually).

However, you could probably show ownership via the other jpegs shot at the same time or prior historical posting.

To the OP. doesn't matter - I used to get TIFFS (mac saved) back from scan houses and use PC save for my own TIFF workflow, makes no diff.

Thank you for that link Niels. Just what we all need to know.

Allan

I get this message each time I click Niels' link:

"Not Authorized to View This Page [CFN #0004]"

That is strange Ann I have just clicked on Niels link again and it goes straight to the page.

Allan

PS could copy it on here but do not know how we stand with regard to copyright.

Why are you creating tiffs? LR exports straight to jpeg.

We had a thread in this forum a few months ago discussing if contributors used and kept their tiffs. I seem to recall that most people do as I do: keep the edited RAW file and the version of the jpeg submitted to Alamy. But I do create and work with a tiff. 

My workflow: edit Sony RAW file in LR > save as tiff > do spotting and sizing and some additional editing on the tiff in PS > save as jpeg. Sometime I move the tiff into Nikon NX2 to use U Point before opening it in PS. Once my jpegs pass Alamy QC, I delete the tiffs. So my storage includes the RAW files and edited jpegs. 

About the linked article: I'm wondering why we should read a complex tech piece that closes by saying 'it doesn't really matter'? 

Archived