Wide Angle for New York

A little less attention to equipment and a little more attention to the subject and capture would be wise, I think. 

The OP posted a question under the heading, "Alamy Quality Control and technical queries." There is another heading, "Let's talk about pics."

It seems the latter category is a good place for discussions of subject and capture, and a discussion of lenses is reasonable in the context of technical queries.

I'll likely try my best to make do with the 24mm as I'm getting fed up with buying gear. Cheapest option is the Samyang 14mm 2.8 at only £250 or so. Buddy of mine says it's a good lens for a lot of applications, including landscape. It's light and doesnt stand out with "I'm an L lens" - My biggest issue is with CA. I hate it. 

My plan is to write RAW to CF and JPG to SD and get the jpgs bang on. Camera lens correction needs a canon lens of course for fixing CA and the like. I don't see much option on either the 17-40 or the 16-35. Does 1mm make such a difference?

My widest lens of the moment is the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 AF. It's great and very easy to handle. I got rid of the cumbersome Nikon 14-24 that captured the image on the left above. I have bought and returned two very wide lenses for my NEX cameras. The Zeiss Toutit AF would not stop hunting and the budget third-party lens was a puzzle I didn't want to deal with. There is the Sony 10-18 zoom to consider, but it's very pricy. I think, being here in NYC, I do need a very-wide lens . . . but I've never liked that lazy, optical view of the world. I use the RX10 with its 24-200 (view) zoom most of the time now. On my NEX cameras, my workhorse is the 24mm f/1.8 with a 36mm view, the best lens I've ever owned. 

In our wonderful Metropolitan Museum of Art, you can take pictures of anything in the permeant collection, but you are not allowed to shoot anything in the special exhibitions. Each museum -- and we have many -- has its own rules about using cameras. Look them up on the Web. Check which day they are closed, too. 

You are allowed to use a tripod in the 9/11 area, but you'll find that it's impractical to do so.

If you go to my blog (link with 2 below) and scan down to the one called Lost, you'll see what I have to say about the New World Trade Center. The Freedom Tower is now the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. 

E4M063.jpg   DHYH90.jpg  D9JYTG.jpg

Ed I read your Blog and I too felt a great loss when that happened.  I traveled to NYC in 1983 and one of the sights not to be missed was the World Trade Center.  I went up to the observation floor and then out on top as it was a nice day.  I have many photos from that trip and have some of them on my facebook pics.  Just as when JFK was killed, I remember where I was when this happened.  I was working in the Highway Patrol radio shop and a State Trooper stopped by and told us what had happened,and we turned on the TV.  I never thought they would fall down, but when the first one did I turned to a friend and said did that building just fall.  I saved a copy of the New York Times showing the attack, and was looking at it yesterday.  I hope to visit NYC again some day.

Marvin

Thanks for your thoughts, Marvin. Those events did bring New Yorkers and Americans together. I was in Paris the following spring, and the young people at the cafe in front of the Sorbonne were very kind and sympathetic. A few days after 9/11, I passed a fire department car with Iowa plates over in Soho. The two firemen were sitting there eating a sandwich, looking shellshocked. They had come on their own to help with the grizzly work at Ground Zero.  

Sorry about going off target, DD, but sometimes conversations take their own direction. 

Edo

Does nobody do hand-held stitched panoramas anymore?

dd

I was thinking about this the other day AFTER I ordered the Nikon D750.

Meaning,now I will have to go back doing them by manually. My Fuji and Sony cameras I owned had those nice sweep panoramas which I will miss.

I don't even have the D750 in my hands yet but already feel buyers remorse in a sense seeing that I wonder if I should have bought the Sony A7II and the 28mm f2.

L

dd

Meaning,now I will have to go back doing them by manually. My Fuji and Sony cameras I owned had those nice sweep panoramas which I will miss.

I don't even have the D750 in my hands yet but already feel buyers remorse in a sense seeing that I wonder if I should have bought the Sony A7II and the 28mm f2.

L

Linda I was talking to my local supplier yesterday about problems with a Fuji lens and suggested I might consider migrating away from Fuji to Nikon, specifically a D750, and he told me that there was a small problem with 750 but hopefully the new batches will have it covered.

Don't know what the problem is/was but if yours is one of the older batch or s/hand then it might be worth checking up.

Allan

dd

L

Linda I was talking to my local supplier yesterday about problems with a Fuji lens and suggested I might consider migrating away from Fuji to Nikon, specifically a D750, and he told me that there was a small problem with 750 but hopefully the new batches will have it covered.

Don't know what the problem is/was but if yours is one of the older batch or s/hand then it might be worth checking up.

Allan

I just got the D750 today and haven't really given it a run thru yet. The problem is with flare from the top of the sensor. I think Nikon is fixing that or there is quick fix.My used body has only 700 activations and came complete w/box and receipt. I did do a couple quick shots with my DX Tokina 12-24mm and had to use it at 18mm and above. The results are not that sharp. I have the D7100 which I do not like and have only taken appx 80 pictures with it. I really only like full frame and may sell the D7100. For a 2nd camera I'd prefer the Sony A7II I think. At least that's small enough to walk around with.  But I will hold off a bit until I am sure the D750 is the be all,end all. I will definitely need a wider angle.  I saw some nice 28mm 1.8 images from Joe McNally via his newsletter this AM.

L

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Paul, for posting this thread (our original poster, he is). It has forced my to finally make a decision: in the next week or two, I will pull the final trigger on my move from my (heavy to me now) Nikon DSLR gear and get the last piece in the Sony puzzle, the super-wide Sony 10-18 f/4 OSS for my NEX mirrorless cameras. I am facing the fact that being here in NYC, I need a very-wide view for many subjects, even if I'm not that big a fan of the look. Hey, I want to add a lot of new images this year. This wide zoom will cost me $850, but all the great Nikon bodies and lenses I'm selling or trading will more than pay for it.  :)

Spring is here at last! Go get 'em!  (Well . . . we're having another snow fall arriving tomorrow.)  

Thank you, Paul, for posting this thread (our original poster, he is). It has forced my to finally make a decision: in the next week or two, I will pull the final trigger on my move from my (heavy to me now) Nikon DSLR gear and get the last piece in the Sony puzzle, the super-wide Sony 10-18 f/4 OSS for my NEX mirrorless cameras. I am facing the fact that being here in NYC, I need a very-wide view for many subjects, even if I'm not that big a fan of the look. Hey, I want to add a lot of new images this year. This wide zoom will cost me $850, but all the great Nikon bodies and lenses I'm selling or trading will more than pay for it.  :)

Spring is here at last! Go get 'em!  (Well . . . we're having another snow fall arriving tomorrow.)

Not unlike my Fujinon 10-24. Tricky to use but takes superb images. It would also work well in NY.

Well, it' shelped both of us :) 

I'm heading to NY at the end of MAY this year.  All booked up. 

Archived